Thread: daily severe flushing seems to be fixed !

Default daily severe flushing seems to be fixed !

hi all ,

i used to flush severely (whole face except forehead) between 12pm and 6pm every day , and if working night shifts i would flush between 1am and 4am ... these flushes always started on one side of my face (usually left side) then slowly spread out to the rest of my face in patches until it all joined up - these flushes always lasted approx 4 hours until my skin faded back to the normal colour , and itched and stung ...

not any more !

it would seem the culprit was finasteride (propecia) which i was using for about 9 years for hair loss ... since i stopped takng it a month ago ive not flushed like i did - im still flushing from food and drink though but suspect thats a whole different problem

strange thing is i used propecia for about 5 years before i started flushing with no problems at all ...

This subject has come up before and was discussed in this thread started by beherenow who is still active in RF. So that means two of you have at least thought about it and discussed it. Finasteride is brought up in other threads but it would take a lot of time going through them to see if anyone else agrees with finasteride as a rosacea trigger. For example, see post no 11 by aafdup in this thread. If it comes up again by someone else I may consider adding finasteride to the RRDi official list of drugs triggering a rosacea flush. I checked if finasteride has flushing as one of the side effects and according to this source it does not. However, it may trigger a flush, so I am not doubting you, it is just imperative that we get some consensus with others on this before adding it to the list. If you find any more anecdotal reports that confirm your findings, please add the source to this thread so we have one place to go to review them. By the way, are you aware that hair loss is one of the systemic cormobidities in rosacea?
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    This subject has come up before and was discussed in this thread started by beherenow who is still active in RF. So that means two of you have at least thought about it and discussed it. Finasteride is brought up in other threads but it would take a lot of time going through them to see if anyone else agrees with finasteride as a rosacea trigger. For example, see post no 11 by aafdup in this thread. If it comes up again by someone else I may consider adding finasteride to the RRDi official list of drugs triggering a rosacea flush. I checked if finasteride has flushing as one of the side effects and according to this source it does not. However, it may trigger a flush, so I am not doubting you, it is just imperative that we get some consensus with others on this before adding it to the list. If you find any more anecdotal reports that confirm your findings, please add the source to this thread so we have one place to go to review them. By the way, are you aware that hair loss is one of the systemic cormobidities in rosacea?
    I'm starting finasteride this week, so I'll post an update if it has any effect on my flushing.

It seems that "hot flushes" are a known side effect from antiandrogens: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11057778/
    I found quite a few reports of this on propeciahelp. There's also plenty of evidence on this forum that a hormonal imbalance can lead to hot flashes or flushing.

It would definitely suck if this makes my rosacea worse, but it's worth the risk imo.
    Last edited by beherenow; 1st May 2021 at 08:03 PM.