Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cymbalta. Prescribed and scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    How was amitriptyline? Not as effective? Oh I just read so many horror stories about duloxetine, the thought of "brain zaps" is really freaking out!

Ps. Nice to see you again 😄
    Hi Sineadrosy,
    Thank you for the welcome! Duloxetine works far better for me than amitriptyline. I?m going back to Duloxetine tomorrow. My face has been sore since I switched to amitriptyline. I?ll happily stay on Duloxetine for the rest of my life if I need to. The brain zaps are fine-just wean off slowly if you need to discontinue it.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    That's great. I hope it continues to work for you . And even better at the higher dose.

I got a blister from laser years ago and it is otherwise a very sensitive spot on my face. I feel like the cymbalta is sort of a "switch" on that, too. W/o cymbalta, it feels like it wants to blister up again, but on it, it's sort of like normal skin.

Just a word of caution i personally rebound from lowering cymbalta (or any antidepressant) in terms of face, but i tend to rebound from anything.
    Thanks, that's really interesting that it's helping normalise parts of your skin.

Unfortunately some of the flushing has crept back for me, I knew it was too good to be true! But it is not as bad as before. It doesn't hurt at all which is amazing. I didn't even notice I was flushing until I went to brush my teeth late at night. And it only lasts about 30mins on a small patch of my right cheek and if I walk around it seems to fade. Before both my entire cheeks would go purple and it would last for around 3-4 hours every evening.

Still annoying it's crept back though.

The nerve sensations on my face have been dialled down too. They were there all day and night, even when I wasn't flushing. It constantly felt like someone had punched me in the nose and cheeks and they were non stop throbbing. That's still happening but not as severe. I'm hoping it will be even less when I go up on the dose. Weirdly accutane is helping with those sensations as well.

One thing I have noticed Cymbalta really constricts some of the vessels. In the day I get moments when my face is really icy cold. especially my nose and cheeks. Not sure if that's good or bad. I worried at first thinking that was going to set me up for a bad rebound later on in the evening but that never happened luckily.

I actually like the feeling when I'm on it. It makes me energised in the day without being too wired. Once I got past the initial nausea in the first week it feels like I'm not even medicated. Just more alert and focused which I like.

Was wondering do you take 2 doses, one in the day and one in the evening?

I tried taking half the dose in the evening but it made me too awake and I couldn't sleep. But if I take it all in the day I feel it loses some of its effectiveness by the evening when I'm at my worst anyway.

I'm still only on 40mg a day and slowly titrating up to 60mg next week. I hope it continues to work at a higher dose. Doc wants me on 80mg a day for nerve pain.

Quote Originally Posted by owldog View Post
    Thanks, that's really interesting that it's helping normalise parts of your skin.

Unfortunately some of the flushing has crept back for me, I knew it was too good to be true! But it is not as bad as before. It doesn't hurt at all which is amazing. I didn't even notice I was flushing until I went to brush my teeth late at night. And it only lasts about 30mins on a small patch of my right cheek and if I walk around it seems to fade. Before both my entire cheeks would go purple and it would last for around 3-4 hours every evening.

Still annoying it's crept back though.

The nerve sensations on my face have been dialled down too. They were there all day and night, even when I wasn't flushing. It constantly felt like someone had punched me in the nose and cheeks and they were non stop throbbing. That's still happening but not as severe. I'm hoping it will be even less when I go up on the dose. Weirdly accutane is helping with those sensations as well.

One thing I have noticed Cymbalta really constricts some of the vessels. In the day I get moments when my face is really icy cold. especially my nose and cheeks. Not sure if that's good or bad. I worried at first thinking that was going to set me up for a bad rebound later on in the evening but that never happened luckily.

I actually like the feeling when I'm on it. It makes me energised in the day without being too wired. Once I got past the initial nausea in the first week it feels like I'm not even medicated. Just more alert and focused which I like.

Was wondering do you take 2 doses, one in the day and one in the evening?

I tried taking half the dose in the evening but it made me too awake and I couldn't sleep. But if I take it all in the day I feel it loses some of its effectiveness by the evening when I'm at my worst anyway.

I'm still only on 40mg a day and slowly titrating up to 60mg next week. I hope it continues to work at a higher dose. Doc wants me on 80mg a day for nerve pain.
    Did you have permanent redness that cymbalta got rid of or do you only flush?

Quote Originally Posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    Did you have permanent redness that cymbalta got rid of or do you only flush?
    I have permanent redness on my cheeks as well as severe flushing at night. Cymbalta has helped with both.

The permanent redness is still there, and I doubt anything will remove that apart from lasers unfortunately. But the capillaries aren't as dilated and my skin is a lot more calm overall.

Hope this helps!