Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cymbalta. Prescribed and scared.

Default Cymbalta. Prescribed and scared.

I've been prescribed cymbalta by my GP two weeks ago but am too afraid to take it. I thought my rosacea had improved but now that the hot weather is back I realise that that is not true.

I don't know whether no rosacea is worth whatever the hell brain zaps are and permanently altering the chemistry of my brain though.

Anybody who can share their experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    I've been prescribed cymbalta by my GP two weeks ago but am too afraid to take it. I thought my rosacea had improved but now that the hot weather is back I realise that that is not true.

I don't know whether no rosacea is worth whatever the hell brain zaps are and permanently altering the chemistry of my brain though.

For me it just didn't really do anything. I was on it for a little over 3 months and then stopped. I had no side effects and no issues when I stopped it though, which was good.

Don?t be afraid. It works great. I took 30 mg daily for over a year. I decided to come off recently as I felt my tummy was getting a bit sore so I decided to take a break from it ( switched back to amitriptyline). When I was weaning off, I went to 30mg every 2nd day the first week, then to every 3rd day the following week and just kept spacing it out by a day each week. I had a little dizziness but very manageable. I will definitely go back onto it after a break from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof View Post
    Don?t be afraid. It works great. I took 30 mg daily for over a year. I decided to come off recently as I felt my tummy was getting a bit sore so I decided to take a break from it ( switched back to amitriptyline). When I was weaning off, I went to 30mg every 2nd day the first week, then to every 3rd day the following week and just kept spacing it out by a day each week. I had a little dizziness but very manageable. I will definitely go back onto it after a break from it.
    How was amitriptyline? Not as effective? Oh I just read so many horror stories about duloxetine, the thought of "brain zaps" is really freaking out!

Ps. Nice to see you again 😄

I like it. It helps me so much and I'll happily be on it for life. Just start slow. I've weaned off a couple times and it went ok as long as it was a slow taper - especially when you get near 0. I think if you're on it for not a long time, the weaning is easier. The jump from 20 mg to 0 is the hardest and at that point I split capsules for slower taper

I think you'll get brain zaps with any SSRI / SNRI (during the weaning off part). There are other antidepressants that worked as well for me as cymbalta, btw.

Don't be scared about the horror stories. I think if you look up any drug online you'll find negative reviews. People just don't post positive experiences as much.

I think you have to weigh up how bad your rosacea is and if it's bad enough that it's impacting on your life, you can't go out, be social, work, you're in pain etc then what have you got to lose to go for it.

I've just started taking duloxetine only at 20mg a day and already it's cut out my evening flushing (which was happening every night on my cheek and nose for 3 hours a night). It's as if it's switched off a switch.

I don't know if this will last so time will tell but I'm very happy for the relief. I will be slowly titrating the dose up to 60mg a day. Think I'll take 30mg morning and 30mg in the evening eventually as it has a 12 hour half life so that gives me a more even dose.

It gave me nausea for the first week which was unpleasant but not intolerable. I find it gives me energy so I take it in the morning.

Honestly I was freaked out too by all the horror stories online and withdrawal issues and I put off taking this drug for 6 months. But that was a mistake. The alternative for me was being stuck at home flushing and in pain. This is one step towards being able to hopefully get on with my life. And if it doesn't work out that's also useful information that will help figure out what drugs or treatments that may work for you. You will only know by trying.
    Last edited by owldog; 21st March 2021 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I like it. It helps me so much and I'll happily be on it for life. Just start slow. I've weaned off a couple times and it went ok as long as it was a slow taper - especially when you get near 0. I think if you're on it for not a long time, the weaning is easier. The jump from 20 mg to 0 is the hardest and at that point I split capsules for slower taper

I think you'll get brain zaps with any SSRI / SNRI (during the weaning off part). There are other antidepressants that worked as well for me as cymbalta, btw.

What do brain zaps feel like? That honestly terrifies me, altering my brain

Can I ask which others worked?

What do brain zaps feel like? That honestly terrifies me, altering my brain

Can I ask which others worked?
    brain zaps happen with any SNRI or SSRI as you taper off (can happen). Not a side effect as you go up or are on them. FOr me only an issue a month while I was down to 0 mg. It's like when you read across a page, maybe a sensation in your eyes like light sabers? honestly, not a big deal, and they will stop eventually, and as far as i know many ppl (incl. my doctor) experience them if they are tapering down.

other side effects - it might numb you out, lower your libido, cause nausea first week, increased sweating... help depression / anxiety if you have that

paxil, zoloft, effexor were similarly helpful for me.Paxil probably having the most side effects (sedative)

Quote Originally Posted by owldog View Post
    Don't be scared about the horror stories. I think if you look up any drug online you'll find negative reviews. People just don't post positive experiences as much.

I think you have to weigh up how bad your rosacea is and if it's bad enough that it's impacting on your life, you can't go out, be social, work, you're in pain etc then what have you got to lose to go for it.

I've just started taking duloxetine only at 20mg a day and already it's cut out my evening flushing (which was happening every night on my cheek and nose for 3 hours a night). It's as if it's switched off a switch.

I don't know if this will last so time will tell but I'm very happy for the relief. I will be slowly titrating the dose up to 60mg a day. Think I'll take 30mg morning and 30mg in the evening eventually as it has a 12 hour half life so that gives me a more even dose.

It gave me nausea for the first week which was unpleasant but not intolerable. I find it gives me energy so I take it in the morning.

Honestly I was freaked out too by all the horror stories online and withdrawal issues and I put off taking this drug for 6 months. But that was a mistake. The alternative for me was being stuck at home flushing and in pain. This is one step towards being able to hopefully get on with my life. And if it doesn't work out that's also useful information that will help figure out what drugs or treatments that may work for you. You will only know by trying.
    That's great. I hope it continues to work for you . And even better at the higher dose.

I got a blister from laser years ago and it is otherwise a very sensitive spot on my face. I feel like the cymbalta is sort of a "switch" on that, too. W/o cymbalta, it feels like it wants to blister up again, but on it, it's sort of like normal skin.

Just a word of caution i personally rebound from lowering cymbalta (or any antidepressant) in terms of face, but i tend to rebound from anything.