Thread: rhinophyma

Default rhinophyma

Hi im a 55 Yr old man.

I believe i have had rosacea for around 20 years, my symptoms went quiet for about 3 years, then 12 months ago came back! Mainly my nose area, spider veins on and around my nose, and my nose is permanently red when hot, and purple when cold! Also, starting to get lumpy, and very concerned that it will go to rhinophyma!!

What would be the best type of treatment please?

Welcome to RF,

Here at RF rhinophyma has been discussed extensively with many, many threads on this subject. All you do is find the search box on the site and type in 'rhinophyma' or 'phymatous' and spend at least an hour browsing through the threads that discuss treatment for this.

There is a common myth that has been debunked that rosacea progresses into stages ending up in Phenotype 5 - Phymatous, which happens to be the most successfully treated rosacea phenotype. For treatment options, you will need to join the RRDi and go to the Treatment for Phenotype 5 post for the list which is an exhaustive list. The RRDi is free to join.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelb891 View Post
    Hi im a 55 Yr old man.

I believe i have had rosacea for around 20 years, my symptoms went quiet for about 3 years, then 12 months ago came back! Mainly my nose area, spider veins on and around my nose, and my nose is permanently red when hot, and purple when cold! Also, starting to get lumpy, and very concerned that it will go to rhinophyma!!

What would be the best type of treatment please?
    Low dose accutane, I would go no higher than 5mg a day to start with. This forum doesn't seem to get a lot of posts about Rhinophyma. More interesting to know of anyone who posts here who has taken accutane for Rhinophyma and if it helped.

I agree it is best to talk to a doc about accutane for rhynophyma. I THINK: It can reverse some of it if not too severe and possibly limit progression. I asked my doc about limiting progression of my rosacea generally, including rhynophyma and he said accutane
    Good luck.