Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to reverse the effects of long-term antibiotic use?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    352

    Default How to reverse the effects of long-term antibiotic use?

    Basically I'd be grateful to be pointed in the direction of any discussion/advice relating to the thread title (my GP was of little/no help).

    I have spent a cumulative total of probably around 4 years or so on daily oral antibiotics to treat acne/rosacea-type issues (also used topicals, but at a much lower frequency). I was even advised at least once by a consultant dermatologist to stay on them permanently, advice I'm glad to say I dismissed.

    I've since to come to realise however that I no longer suffer from my 'original' skin condition, but others that were most likely triggered by various forms of treatment I've employed over the years. For example, my main issue today relates to sebhorreic dermatitis, which my doctor agrees was almost certainly caused or triggered by antibiotic use (these symptoms had existed for a long time but flared very significantly during my last course, which was actually helpful in that it assisted with diagnosis). Additionally I have some gut issues that I suspect stem from the very same cause.

    I won't be taking any more antibiotics in a hurry that's for sure, but what are the options for someone such as myself who wants to repair the damage inflicted by ill-advised, long-term antibiotic use?
    Last edited by davem81; 17th February 2021 at 06:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    729
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Basically I'd be grateful to be pointed in the direction of any discussion/advice relating to the thread title (my GP was of little/no help).

    I have spent a cumulative total of probably around 4 years or so on daily oral antibiotics to treat acne/rosacea type issues (also used topicals, but at a much lower frequency). I was even advised at least once by a consultant dermatologist to stay on them permanently, advice I'm glad to say I dismissed.

    I've since to come to realise however that I no longer suffer from my 'original' skin condition, but others that were most likely triggered by various forms of treatment I've employed over the years. For example, my main issue today relates to sebhorreic dermatitis, which my doctor agrees was almost certainly triggered by antibiotic use (it had existed for a long time but flared very significantly during my last course). Additionally I have some gut issues that I suspect stem from the same cause.

    I won't be taking any more antibiotics in a hurry that's for sure, but what are the options for someone such as myself who wants to repair the damage inflicted by ill-advised, long-term antibiotic use?
    I take high dose probiotic 50-100 billion CFU.
    If you have gut issues like diarrhea I would get a stool test which can measure yeast and other things
    Last edited by laser_cat; 8th February 2021 at 12:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    Antibiotics have been given for rosacea for over fifty years. The side effects, long term effects and risks are well known.

    Treatments to consider:

    Probiotics

    Azelaic Acid

    Immunosuppressants [Topical Calcineurin Inhibitors (TCIs)]

    Ivermectin

    Retinoids

    Sodium Sulfacetamide-sulfur

    Other treatments to consider

    Then there are an enormous number of non prescriptions (over the counter) treatments to consider either here or in the RRDi affiliate store.
    This post should help your gut:

    Do You Have A Gut Feeling About Your Rosacea?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 9th February 2021 at 02:51 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    112
    Country: Australia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Basically I'd be grateful to be pointed in the direction of any discussion/advice relating to the thread title (my GP was of little/no help).

    I have spent a cumulative total of probably around 4 years or so on daily oral antibiotics to treat acne/rosacea type issues (also used topicals, but at a much lower frequency). I was even advised at least once by a consultant dermatologist to stay on them permanently, advice I'm glad to say I dismissed.

    I've since to come to realise however that I no longer suffer from my 'original' skin condition, but others that were most likely triggered by various forms of treatment I've employed over the years. For example, my main issue today relates to sebhorreic dermatitis, which my doctor agrees was almost certainly triggered by antibiotic use (it had existed for a long time but flared very significantly during my last course). Additionally I have some gut issues that I suspect stem from the same cause.

    I won't be taking any more antibiotics in a hurry that's for sure, but what are the options for someone such as myself who wants to repair the damage inflicted by ill-advised, long-term antibiotic use?
    I don't have specific advice for you as everybody is different, but generally I would focus your research on healing your gut: prebiotics, probiotics, a diet with whole foods and foods that promote the growth of 'good bacteria', limiting sugar intake and processed foods that promote the growth of 'bad bacteria'. Think about your stomach acid too. Long term antibiotic use can inhibit stomach acid production which can result in = low stomach acid = proliferation of 'bad bacteria' in the gut.

    I would also seek out a different dermatologist or rosacea expert to help guide your skin treatment. The reality is that while antibiotics help rosacea symptoms, they are really only papering over the underlying issues and rosacea symptoms will likely start to return once you cease treatment.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    171
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
    I don't have specific advice for you as everybody is different, but generally I would focus your research on healing your gut: prebiotics, probiotics, a diet with whole foods and foods that promote the growth of 'good bacteria', limiting sugar intake and processed foods that promote the growth of 'bad bacteria'. Think about your stomach acid too. Long term antibiotic use can inhibit stomach acid production which can result in = low stomach acid = proliferation of 'bad bacteria' in the gut.

    I would also seek out a different dermatologist or rosacea expert to help guide your skin treatment. The reality is that while antibiotics help rosacea symptoms, they are really only papering over the underlying issues and rosacea symptoms will likely start to return once you cease treatment.
    Exactly this! Whole foods that promote good bacteria. I'd also say it's vital to get good quality meat that is pasture-raised and 100% grass-fed, and wild fish. Be careful when something says organic meat, as in the UK, this means that as long as the animal's diet is 51% organic, it can be labelled as organic. Also, wash vegetables and rid them of pesticides, as these can wreak havoc on your microbiome.

    Hope that helps.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Thank you very much for your replies - I've certainly learnt something. I actually wasn't too bad diet-wise, but there was room for improvement which hopefully I can now go on to achieve.

    Any tips for the skin/face? In terms of when antibiotic use has upset the balance there? I'm using topical anti-fungals on an occasional basis - topicals have caused me such trauma in the past that I simply daren't go too hard at it. I don't suppose there's much more I can do than that...?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Thank you very much for your replies - I've certainly learnt something. I actually wasn't too bad diet-wise, but there was room for improvement which hopefully I can now go on to achieve.
    Any tips for the skin/face? In terms of when antibiotic use has upset the balance there? I'm using topical anti-fungals on an occasional basis - topicals have caused me such trauma in the past that I simply daren't go too hard at it. I don't suppose there's much more I can do than that...?
    Recommend you read my latest post on Sensitive Skin.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



Similar Threads

  1. Long term Doxycycline effects on the Liver
    By bealjanier in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 2017, 11:23 PM
  2. Metronidazole- Long term bad side effects?
    By birdsing in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th August 2014, 11:16 PM
  3. ZZ cream - Long Term Side Effects??
    By Joseppi in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd July 2013, 05:18 AM
  4. Long term effects of Mirtazapine, Clonidine and Propranolol.
    By pleasehelp123 in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th May 2012, 08:52 PM
  5. Long-term Antibiotic use damages immune system
    By YankeesRtheBest in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd June 2005, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •