Thread: How to get GP to prescribe something for neurogenic rosacea?

Default How to get GP to prescribe something for neurogenic rosacea?

I thought I was seeing my derm on the 2nd of this month but in reality I won't see her til the 15th. I emailed saying I had to stop clonidine as it was making me worse but she never responds.

I'm having a phone consultation with my GO in 2 days and will just have to try and get her to give me something. My pain is so severe that I Can't even sleep.

I just don't know what medication to ask for or how to get them. I know hydroxychloroquine is used for neurogenic rosacea some times but I don't know if she'd be more likely to prescribe it or the anti-depressants. I just know I can't hack this pain much longer.

You may want to ask your physician to rule out Erythromelalgia, a rosacea mimic.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    You may want to ask your physician to rule out Erythromelalgia, a rosacea mimic.
    Why so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    I thought I was seeing my derm on the 2nd of this month but in reality I won't see her til the 15th. I emailed saying I had to stop clonidine as it was making me worse but she never responds.

I'm having a phone consultation with my GO in 2 days and will just have to try and get her to give me something. My pain is so severe that I Can't even sleep.

I just don't know what medication to ask for or how to get them. I know hydroxychloroquine is used for neurogenic rosacea some times but I don't know if she'd be more likely to prescribe it or the anti-depressants. I just know I can't hack this pain much longer.
    I would say she would be more inclined to prescribe amitriptyline or duloxetine for nerve pain than hydroxych. but it depends on what she has experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof View Post
    I would say she would be more inclined to prescribe amitriptyline or duloxetine for nerve pain than hydroxych. but it depends on what she has experience with.
    I'll just say to her that I need nerve pain medication?

I'll just say to her that I need nerve pain medication?
    Gabapentin can be quite helpful for flushing - though better combined with hydroxychloroquine. You may well need to speak to a dermatologist with a particular expertise in using medications to treat rosacea to get the best medicines for you. A lot of GPs are just not familiar with using such medications to treat rosacea as they are off licence.

You can also get prescriptions privately from dermatologists - easy at the moment as they are all seeing patients online so you can see a well qualified dermatologist privately without having to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Gabapentin can be quite helpful for flushing - though better combined with hydroxychloroquine. You may well need to speak to a dermatologist with a particular expertise in using medications to treat rosacea to get the best medicines for you. A lot of GPs are just not familiar with using such medications to treat rosacea as they are off licence.

You can also get prescriptions privately from dermatologists - easy at the moment as they are all seeing patients online so you can see a well qualified dermatologist privately without having to travel.
    I think I'll ask for duloxetine since it doesn't make you fat lol

The secretary hasn't been passing my messages on to the derm for me :/

Why so?
    Your description of what you are suffering with may possibly be Erythromelalgia, a rosacea mimic.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi