Thread: Do I have permanent redness or flushing ?

Question Do I have permanent redness or flushing ?

This probably sounds like a really dumb/obvious kind of question but now after having Rosacea for just over a year & testing lot of natural & unnatural remedies with mixed results I'm pretty confused.

I'm not going to give my whole life story but the way this this all started was when I did a chemical peel; then proceeded to go out in the summer sun without sunblock. It triggered some kind of awful reaction.

In the morning when I first wake up I'm extremely pale. I'd say about 2 hours after that the redness starts filling my face back up. Generally speaking I walk around day to day with my whole face (other than my forehead) having a reddish hue to it, it's not flagrantly red; nor do I have patches of red, or spider veins; rather there's just a red lurking there in the background. By the time it's evening my face is at its reddest, angriest state & I get prickly burning sensations (what I assume is nerve pain) in the area around my cheekbones.

Mirvaso & oxymetazoline hydrochloride (nasal spray) worked for me, though I went ghost pale so it was just like going from one extreme to the other and didn't look right. ultimately the rebound wasn't worth it (I recovered but took like 2 weeks of intense redness & burning to subside). Also aloe Vera gel worked but to a much lesser degree. I've recently just got ahold of propranolol & amitriptyline (which is a antidepressant which is also used for nerve pain if anyone didn't know) so I'll see if those improve any of my symptoms. I haven't tried any oral or topical anti inflammatory meds, nsaids or antibiotics.

I've noticed my redness worsens and my face becomes hotter when I'm exposed to heat e.g. walking in a heated room, turning on my central heating etc.

I guess what im ultimately asking is basing off what I've told you.. do I have permanent redness or just like one big giant constant flush

What you are describing may be 'sensitive skin' which recently has been postulated as distinct from rosacea, according to one paper on this subject. Not sure if this distinct designation as a diagnosis, sensitive skin [SS] becomes popular in the medical community and accepted as a diagnosis, however, it is at least designated a syndrome, as another paper states, "Sensitive skin syndrome (SSS) is a common and challenging condition, yet little is known about its underlying pathophysiology."

My recommendation is to search through some of these posts using the RRDi search tool with the word 'sensitive' as the only word (results are 24 pages of links to browse).

As for your question, 'do [you] have permanent redness or just like one big giant constant flush" there is a difference between sensitive skin and flushing. Have you asked this question to your dermatologist?

You are the best person to answer that question, and your physician, preferably a dermatologist, is more qualified to answer that question. Asking rosaceans questions like this, you may receive some biased answers since many also have sensitive skin, while others are trying to avoid flushing. You may want to learn more about flushing to know the difference. SSS is a condition or a syndrome. Flushing is a symptom/sign.

Don't get me wrong, some may give you some excellent advice on this, while others may not intentionally be biased, but simply can't help it and think that what treatment is working for them will automatically help you, which may not be true. We call this the X-Factor in rosacea.

My other recommendation is to let your skin heal all on its own for as long as you can tolerate it. Just use cool water to calm your face for as many days as you can and not apply anything topically. Continue to use the oral systemic treatments you mention, but your skin may be so sensitive that applying any topical or PDL treatments is possibly damaging your skin further. See if your body's natural healing can handle calming your skin. You may notice some improvement. And then if you do apply a topical, after your skin heals for some days, just apply a small amount to a sensitive area of your skin say 5 cm and see if this irritates your sensitive skin or calms it and wait 24 hours. You will be the best judge whether to continue with the topical or not.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 28th November 2020 at 04:00 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceK View Post
    This probably sounds like a really dumb/obvious kind of question but now after having Rosacea for just over a year & testing lot of natural & unnatural remedies with mixed results I'm pretty confused.

I'm not going to give my whole life story but the way this this all started was when I did a chemical peel; then proceeded to go out in the summer sun without sunblock. It triggered some kind of awful reaction.

In the morning when I first wake up I'm extremely pale. I'd say about 2 hours after that the redness starts filling my face back up. Generally speaking I walk around day to day with my whole face (other than my forehead) having a reddish hue to it, it's not flagrantly red; nor do I have patches of red, or spider veins; rather there's just a red lurking there in the background. By the time it's evening my face is at its reddest, angriest state & I get prickly burning sensations (what I assume is nerve pain) in the area around my cheekbones.

Mirvaso & oxymetazoline hydrochloride (nasal spray) worked for me, though I went ghost pale so it was just like going from one extreme to the other and didn't look right. ultimately the rebound wasn't worth it (I recovered but took like 2 weeks of intense redness & burning to subside). Also aloe Vera gel worked but to a much lesser degree. I've recently just got ahold of propranolol & amitriptyline (which is a antidepressant which is also used for nerve pain if anyone didn't know) so I'll see if those improve any of my symptoms. I haven't tried any oral or topical anti inflammatory meds, nsaids or antibiotics.

I've noticed my redness worsens and my face becomes hotter when I'm exposed to heat e.g. walking in a heated room, turning on my central heating etc.

I guess what im ultimately asking is basing off what I've told you.. do I have permanent redness or just like one big giant constant flush
    using the nasal spray for helping with red nose etc?