Thread: Confused & New

Default Confused & New

Hi All
    53 year old woman who for years battled acne, finally free of it some years ago and now dealing with Rosacea. Some redness on my face and neck but also papules and pustules. I was prescribed Rozex topical cream for 3 months which initially had a good effect, and kept my face more clear than usual. Mixed results with my decolletage however if I stayed away from triggers like alcohol, was pretty clear too. Early this week I returned to my GP who's given me Ivermectin instead. Thought it was ok for a few days but now my face is more red and patchy than it has ever been. I'm unsure whether to discontinue using it. Probably like many others, I suffer from social anxiety when I have an episode. The GP has given me a referral for laser IPL I believe it's called. Hoping this helps. I have a fairly good diet and although I enjoyed a few wines during the weekends, I've been careful about my intake, noting that it seems to be a trigger but I'm unsure yet what other triggers I have. Any advice/guidance is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by cathg View Post
    Hi All
    53 year old woman who for years battled acne, finally free of it some years ago and now dealing with Rosacea. Some redness on my face and neck but also papules and pustules. I was prescribed Rozex topical cream for 3 months which initially had a good effect, and kept my face more clear than usual. Mixed results with my decolletage however if I stayed away from triggers like alcohol, was pretty clear too. Early this week I returned to my GP who's given me Ivermectin instead. Thought it was ok for a few days but now my face is more red and patchy than it has ever been. I'm unsure whether to discontinue using it. Probably like many others, I suffer from social anxiety when I have an episode. The GP has given me a referral for laser IPL I believe it's called. Hoping this helps. I have a fairly good diet and although I enjoyed a few wines during the weekends, I've been careful about my intake, noting that it seems to be a trigger but I'm unsure yet what other triggers I have. Any advice/guidance is welcomed.
    Based on the papules and pustules it sounds like you have Rosacea Sub Type 2 with papules and pustules. That type of rosacea is caused by an overpopulation of microscopic demodex skin mites. Everyone over age 5 has demodex. It is considered normal to have a few. When they get overpopulated they become a problem. The Ivermectin will kill the demodex. It typically does look worse for a short while before it gets better. That is actually a good sign that the mites are dying. I assume that you are using the topical form of Ivermectin? If you are concerned about a possible allergic reaction, you can try a little on the underside of your wrist for 3 days to see if your skin reacts. If not, the redness and patchiness on the face are just normal reactions as the mites die. The topical form of Ivermectin in the US is called Soolantra, a 1% Ivermectin cream used nightly. There is a long thread about Soolantra here: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ight=Soolantra that might help answer your questions.

If you are not allergic to the Ivermectin, I would keep using it. It will help greatly in the long run.

ElaineA is spot on that it gets worse before it gets better. Ivermectin topical takes at least two to three months for clearance, so if you are in a hurry, try something else. Laser is one PDL and IPL is a different treatment, but still broadband. Even though you state you have a good diet, are you aware that sugar/carbohyrate is a rosacea trigger? You may want to read about alcohol triggers. Triggers for rosacea are an individual thing, and you will have to learn what your triggers are. For example, why not read this post about what some say are rosacea triggers for them.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Cool Confused & New

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Based on the papules and pustules it sounds like you have Rosacea Sub Type 2 with papules and pustules. That type of rosacea is caused by an overpopulation of microscopic demodex skin mites. Everyone over age 5 has demodex. It is considered normal to have a few. When they get overpopulated they become a problem. The Ivermectin will kill the demodex. It typically does look worse for a short while before it gets better. That is actually a good sign that the mites are dying. I assume that you are using the topical form of Ivermectin? If you are concerned about a possible allergic reaction, you can try a little on the underside of your wrist for 3 days to see if your skin reacts. If not, the redness and patchiness on the face are just normal reactions as the mites die. The topical form of Ivermectin in the US is called Soolantra, a 1% Ivermectin cream used nightly. There is a long thread about Soolantra here: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ight=Soolantra that might help answer your questions.

If you are not allergic to the Ivermectin, I would keep using it. It will help greatly in the long run.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I read it soon after you posting and it provided me with some reassurance; I did a patch test and then persisted with the topical Ivermectin, applying much less than I had been. I have a shocking habit of over-application which dates back to fighting acne. And even though it has only been less than 2 weeks, my skin has very much improved. My GP had thought this would be the better treatment given I present with Sub Type 2. I definitely feel less lumps and bumps on my skin. I am aware though from the little research I've done and in reading some of the threads on this forum that that Rosacea can be very much about trying to mange triggers to prevent flares. I'm still on that journey of course. I've also read that making sure bed linen, pillow slips, wash cloths etc. are changed more frequently than what would be considered normal.