Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My way with Isotretynoin / experiences from the battlefield

Default My way with Isotretynoin / experiences from the battlefield

I started to take isetretinoine on the 2nd October, so almost 20 days is behind me. Initial impressions from these weeks. The demathologist prescribed me a 10mg capsule, as she said these are the lowest values available. To take 10mg per day or 1 capsule per day. However, having learned from the experiences of other people here in the forum, I decided to reduce the value taken and applied the capsule every other day. That is a total of 10mg per 2 days.

Quickly, because already in the first week, symptoms such as dry skin on the face, especially nose and surroundings and dry, cracking lips started to appear. However, the level of facial redness also decreased. What I took with great relief.

From my experience with different specifics for the last 20 years I have so that many specifics for the first weeks actually seem to help but after that time it turns out that the condition of the skin returns to its previous state or it gets even worse. I spent second week observing, everything looked better and better. However, the side effects also worsened, so I decided to reduce the dose. I crossed the capsule, the fluid flowed out from the inside, measured half of it and since then I have been taking half of the capsule or 5 mg for 2 days.

Now 3rd week. Reducing the dose probably helped, because the side effects were alleviating, the redness itself does not look bad. It's good enough that I stoped to be so restrictive with the food cause I was on strict diet before.

The impressions from this whole period are quite positive. Sometimes I have the impression that my face gets more reddened for no reason, but it is never higher than before the treatment.

I don't know how it works, the dermatologist claimed that isotretinoin is used against severe ACNE and for Rosacea it will have no effect. But as the current time shows, there is something about it. I thought maybe it is affecting hormones and maybe I should check their levels. I was at the study yesterday and I am currently waiting for the results.I did TSH 3-gen; FT 4; Prolactine ; DHEA ; Testosterone ; Androstendion ; Cortisol ; Vitamin D3. Probably tomorrow I will have the results and see if I had a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage View Post
    I started to take isetretinoine on the 2nd October, so almost 20 days is behind me. Initial impressions from these weeks. The demathologist prescribed me a 10mg capsule, as she said these are the lowest values available. To take 10mg per day or 1 capsule per day. However, having learned from the experiences of other people here in the forum, I decided to reduce the value taken and applied the capsule every other day. That is a total of 10mg per 2 days.

Quickly, because already in the first week, symptoms such as dry skin on the face, especially nose and surroundings and dry, cracking lips started to appear. However, the level of facial redness also decreased. What I took with great relief.

From my experience with different specifics for the last 20 years I have so that many specifics for the first weeks actually seem to help but after that time it turns out that the condition of the skin returns to its previous state or it gets even worse. I spent second week observing, everything looked better and better. However, the side effects also worsened, so I decided to reduce the dose. I crossed the capsule, the fluid flowed out from the inside, measured half of it and since then I have been taking half of the capsule or 5 mg for 2 days.

Now 3rd week. Reducing the dose probably helped, because the side effects were alleviating, the redness itself does not look bad. It's good enough that I stoped to be so restrictive with the food cause I was on strict diet before.

The impressions from this whole period are quite positive. Sometimes I have the impression that my face gets more reddened for no reason, but it is never higher than before the treatment.

I don't know how it works, the dermatologist claimed that isotretinoin is used against severe ACNE and for Rosacea it will have no effect. But as the current time shows, there is something about it. I thought maybe it is affecting hormones and maybe I should check their levels. I was at the study yesterday and I am currently waiting for the results.I did TSH 3-gen; FT 4; Prolactine ; DHEA ; Testosterone ; Androstendion ; Cortisol ; Vitamin D3. Probably tomorrow I will have the results and see if I had a good feeling.
    That's excellent news that it's working. I have also just been prescribed isotretinion at a very low dose 5mg 3 x a week for persistent acne and lupus rashes.

My previous experience with it was that I got facial flushing however that was after many years of being on it plus being on birth control (which may have been the culprit all along).

I am going to give it one more try at a very very low dose. I remember when I was on accutane previously it actually helped thicken my skin. It increases collagen production so that may help mask some of the redness.

Good luck hope you continue to find good results with it! I may update as well once I start the treatment.

Did you get the tests back on your hormone results. I have just been prescribed 5mg Accutane. Think I will start with 5mg every three days. How is your flushing and redness going on 5mg every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johndlwdbm View Post
    Did you get the tests back on your hormone results. I have just been prescribed 5mg Accutane. Think I will start with 5mg every three days. How is your flushing and redness going on 5mg every other day.
    Hey. All test I have made are right in order. Lower or higher but all in tolerance.
    So it semms those levels aran't responsible for what is happenig with me.

I'm after 4 weeks of taking Isotretynoin, now for 5mg every second day.
    The results are significant I must say.

When I started taking it I didn't had high hopes for it. I still don't get it why and how it works. But it works.
    My flushing and redness droped visibly. I can afford to eat mostly whatever I want (still avoiding dairy though) without bad flushing after.

During the day worst time for my redness was always evenings. I can still see it then clearly but comparing to my ears which can be very hot and red, my face is only slightly pink. No hard redness occuring. Especcialy now during the autum, cold days and winds and temperature differences and also adding mask wearing. Normally that would be killing me and agragete my Rosacea to its limits.

I not saying yet that this is the cure, but its damm best remedy so far.

Hey. All test I have made are right in order. Lower or higher but all in tolerance.
    So it semms those levels aran't responsible for what is happenig with me.

I'm after 4 weeks of taking Isotretynoin, now for 5mg every second day.
    The results are significant I must say.

When I started taking it I didn't had high hopes for it. I still don't get it why and how it works. But it works.
    My flushing and redness droped visibly. I can afford to eat mostly whatever I want (still avoiding dairy though) without bad flushing after.

During the day worst time for my redness was always evenings. I can still see it then clearly but comparing to my ears which can be very hot and red, my face is only slightly pink. No hard redness occuring. Especcialy now during the autum, cold days and winds and temperature differences and also adding mask wearing. Normally that would be killing me and agragete my Rosacea to its limits.

I not saying yet that this is the cure, but its damm best remedy so far.
    Not sure if its been mentioned else where on this thread, but I think isotretinoin decreases blood flow to the face. Perhaps that is why it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan3dwards View Post
    Not sure if its been mentioned else where on this thread, but I think isotretinoin decreases blood flow to the face. Perhaps that is why it is working.
    Well that could be it.
    I can see that my lips and nose are more dry for sure.
    But my ears can get very red even if my cheeks are really calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan3dwards View Post
    "Isotretinoin's exact mechanism of action is unknown, but several studies have shown that isotretinoin induces apoptosis (programmatic cell death) in various cells in the body. Cell death may be instigated in the meibomian glands, hypothalamic cells, hippocampus cells and - important for treatment of acne - in sebaceous gland cells." Source

So while the 'exact mechanism of action is unknown' there are several theories as the above sentence shows and if you continue to read the source of the above statement there are even more theories for you to consider how it works.

The current, latest, state of the art treatment with isotrenoin is LOW DOSE (5 mg to 10 mg) and that is probably the best route to take since there are risks to consider when taking this treatment for rosacea and you should be informed of those risks and possible side effects.

patrick33 reports that his flushing is completely gone after taking low dose (2.5 mg 'for the first month followed by 2.5mg every other day for the following three months').
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 2nd November 2020 at 07:30 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Isotretinoin is good for rosacea type 2?
    I mean permanent redness erythrosis on temples for exemple and any flat red areas on forehead ( not pimples or papules but flat small red areas or flat red blemishes on the forehead)?
    Thks

I'm a bit down. After 4 weeks it looked like everything was going well and that in fact I would finally be able to get Rosacea off. And then it was week 5. This Tuesday I was on a long walk with my dog in the evening, the temperature was around 7 degrees, a light cold wind was blowing.

After returning, everything was still ok, I took a shower and looked in the mirror. And there it was the fear came back, the red face, the reddened cheeks and ears. I think don't panic, it will be only temporary, but it lasted all evening. The next day it normalized a little, but during the day I had bouts of redness, same in the evening. And so for a few days, today is Friday and the condition of the skin still looks worse than before Tuesday.

I wonder if it's a question of Isotretinoin rebound, if I ate something that hurt me, or if it's that longer walk and cold wind. I'm down so far. Plenty of medicaments for me were looking like they work from the beginning but after few first weeks they stop working and everything go back to how it was.

I'm a bit down. After 4 weeks it looked like everything was going well and that in fact I would finally be able to get Rosacea off. And then it was week 5. This Tuesday I was on a long walk with my dog in the evening, the temperature was around 7 degrees, a light cold wind was blowing.

After returning, everything was still ok, I took a shower and looked in the mirror. And there it was the fear came back, the red face, the reddened cheeks and ears. I think don't panic, it will be only temporary, but it lasted all evening. The next day it normalized a little, but during the day I had bouts of redness, same in the evening. And so for a few days, today is Friday and the condition of the skin still looks worse than before Tuesday.

I wonder if it's a question of Isotretinoin rebound, if I ate something that hurt me, or if it's that longer walk and cold wind. I'm down so far. Plenty of medicaments for me were looking like they work from the beginning but after few first weeks they stop working and everything go back to how it was.
    Following what patrick33 said in a post I am now just using 5mg two times a week, 1 on monday and 1 on Friday. I started to get a slight bit more redness on 5mg three times a week. So far it is helping a bit with the swelling on my nose. If this works I will even go as low as 5mg once a week. It seems you have to find the lowest dose possible without causing any extra redness or flushing.