Thread: over 50 and just got mallssia/fungus..

Default over 50 and just got mallssia/fungus..

hi all
    Thanks for having me!
    I am actually going to a dermatologist in a couple days and will update on exactly what have. Pretty sure its a nasty fungus. I will insist on them biopsying it or finding out what it is.
    It started on my scalp, went in ears and face quickly and started on back, chest and arms over summer. Its been about 6 months.

When I am allowed to post pics I will upload my magnified nastys up close. Have all in different stages.. You can see the branches and roots as well as spores.
    Any advise as to what to use to get under control would be greatly appreciated. My friend has been to countless doctors and they gave her steroid cream. I am not very optimistic about going and getting real help

Derm no help as expected-would not listen to me that I think its a fungus and gave me doxy!! I am NOT taking it. Guess I am on my own with this
    any help or advise welcome
    Last edited by ROD10; 22nd October 2020 at 04:00 PM.

Default dermatologist no help

would not listen to me that I think its afungus and gave me doxy!! I am NOT taking it. Guess I am on my own with this
    any help or advise welcome

Did your dermatologist give you a diagnosis?

Starting in the scalp, spreading to the ears, face, back, chest and arms over six months is a tough call with just your verbal description of 'magnified nastys.' Are these on your scalp, ears, face, back, chest and arms?

Do you have erythema?

While it may be a fungus, there is a huge list of skin diseases that exhibit erythema that are in a differential diagnosis of rosacea. Besides fungus, there are other microorganisms to rule out.

It is a generally accepted treatment to try the doxycycline for at least a month to see if you get any improvement. What was the recommended dosage? Low dose or high dose? Short term antibiotics may actually help, but long term is the problem, so I understand your reluctance to accept it (antibiotic resistance). Your dermatologist didn't give you any topical?

Have you considered azelaic acid?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 23rd October 2020 at 02:25 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi