Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Demodicosis that can be passed on?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13

    Default Demodicosis that can be passed on?

    Hello everyone! I am wondering if there are more people out there who are experiencing demodicosis that seem to be transmittable?

    I have, along with 2 family members (one whom I live with, and one whom I stay with occasionally), a family friend, and at least 1 friend of mine developed symptoms of demodicosis/pityriasis folliculorum. I'll share my story and it'll probably be a bit long:

    It started with me getting those characteristic white ?plugs? in the facial hair follicles, that made the skin feel rough. I just assumed it was dry skin. I also occasionally felt a crawly/tingly sensation mostly on my nose (which I thought I was just imagining because of reasons). It took some time until it got worse/I developed any more symptoms. Then it was a rash on my neck, at the base of my hairline: red, itchy bumps, occasionally pus-filled. I saw a doctor about it and was prescribed a steroid, but never had to use it because the rash improved when I used Head&shoulders shampoo, which is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal (my guess now is that I developed folliculitis secondary to the demodex infestation in my scalp).

    The next demodicosis symptom that showed up was increased redness of my nose, then I started flushing occasionally, and then I started getting more pimples. Rosacea symptoms overall. My skin could sometimes feel greasy and ?thick?.

    Something that I later realized is that I had been losing quite a lot of hair. Idk how I didn't grasp that sooner, but I guess it was due to the fact that it happened slowly (never lost ?chunks? of hair), and I normally have a lot of hair so noticing any hair thinning would take a while, and probably some denial as well. Towards the end my scalp began to feel itchy and crawly, and feels rough to the touch esp when wet with water. It only got worse and by now I've lost a LOT of my hair, which is quite depressing.

    The person whose demodicosis got as bad as mine did is a family member (whom I stay with/visit occasionally). He's had basically all the same symptoms I had. I was getting really suspicious that something weird was going on when we both developed rosacea-symptoms (both of us have always had good skin, and there's no family history of skin conditions). (continuing in next post)
    Last edited by soapbubbles1; 15th October 2020 at 12:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13

    Default

    How I found out that all of this was due to demodex was, coincidentally enough, because I had previously read an account of a family who experienced an unusual/atypical case of scabies that affected the face. They experienced similar vague itching to what I had. So, I managed to get access to a microscope because I was a bit paranoid.

    Instead I found plenty of demodex mites, I'm talking fulfilling the criteria of 5> mites per cm2.. it was gross.
    I knew they existed, but not that they could cause symptoms other than in the eyes. I was shocked seeing that many so I began googling and reading and boom, suddenly the dots were connecting. I found the condition ?pityriasis folliculorum?, characterized by the plugged hair follicles, and then it all made sense and I understood that it wasn't due to dry skin. Ultimately, I asked to look at my family member's face close-up and in the right lighting, and sure enough, he also had the follicle plugs. He thought his skin was dry, just like I had. He has also lost hair.
    Later on it turned out that his closest friend also had started experiencing the same/similar thing: rough skin, redness, flushing etc... My parent whom I live with has also showed some symptoms, but vaguely & not all of them.

    During the month when we waited for a new dermatologist appt. (our concerns were ignored by the 1st doc), things got complicated. This is super strange but I'm including it in case it's relevant: I had looked at some skin samples under the microscope, and saw something that looked like an ?egg? (not demodex, those have a distinguishable shape). Again, this is weird but I contacted 2 dermatologists (who had published studies about scabies), and emailed them the images. Both replied that it looked like a scabies mite egg. I decided to also ask an acarologist, who turned out to be interested in my ?case? and further asked his colleagues, none of them could tell if it was a mite egg. My family members and I got treated though, just in case. I know I must sound like a complete weirdo but it wasn't worth ignoring y'know.

    So now I'm like, did I have scabies (that manifested "atypically") or not? If so, could that have contributed to the demodicosis in some way (altering the immune response) & explain why it's transmittable? Seems unlikely, no such case has been reported in literature, but it's a strange coincidence having both at the same time (if I did). (continuing in next post)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13

    Default

    One thing that likely is a causative factor for the demodicosis, that I first dismissed 'cause it doesn't explain the contagious-aspect is the fact that I, just before I developed this, went through a really bad time. My skin care routine deteriorated for a few weeks as I didn't have the energy for anything. My skin became dry, which wasn't weird since it was cold outside and I hadn't been moisturizing. I don't remember exactly but I think this was just normal dryness, because the 1st time I recall reflecting over my skin being 'really dry' (meaning, the demodex had gone bananas) was some time after I had done a 'face mask' with olive oil after washing my face, because I had no lotion at home. I now know that's a disaster, demodex-wise. After discovering demodicosis and PF I have read reports that describe exactly this in PF-patients, i.e. bad facial hygiene and/or use of heavy oily substances. I just don't understand how it could possibly be a trigger for demodicosis/PF being able to transmit..

    I've wondered if it could also be environmental. The ventilation has always been more or less sh*t in the apartment where my parent and I live (we've lived here nearly all my life), & the floor has a water-damaged spot, which doesn't really look like mold but, worth investigating. I bought a mold test that turned out negative, but those aren't always reliable so I'd like to get the apartment evaluated when we can afford it. I'm no expert but I just figured it couldn't be too far-fetched given that mold can suppress your immune system and, based on what I've read, some sort of immunosuppression is involved in PF that lets the mites proliferate without an initial reaction. Who knows, I'm only speculating.

    The only way my non-doctor, non-biologist, non-immunologist brain can make sense of this is that there must be some other pathogen involved, fungi or bacteria? Because how could this be "contagious" when everyone already carries demodex mites?

    It wouldn't be so mysterious if it only affected me and the 1 other person in the household, but she isn't even that badly affected. We don't have any pets so that's no explanation.

    I'm not expecting an answer to this mystery, I just want to know if others are also experiencing this, and share my story.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,348

    Default

    Most clinical papers say that demodectic rosacea (demonicosis) is not contagious. However, there is data that shows otherwise. Usually the question is why do demodex like human skin? There are many other interesting and informative posts on demodectic rosacea here.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    The SAME to me. I developed what i though is demodex problems a year ago the my father and sister developed similar symptoms -more hard in my father case-.
    Scabies thing is something that i thinking of ?who knows? you seems to have more knowledge of this things than me, updates on your conditions will be helpful to me. i going to do a course of oral ivermectin that targets both problems speciall scabies. Fingers crossed.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Most clinical papers say that demodectic rosacea (demonicosis) is not contagious. However, there is data that shows otherwise. Usually the question is why do demodex like human skin? There are many other interesting and informative posts on demodectic rosacea here.
    Thank you for the links! I've read previously about the few reported cases of pet-human transmission. I really wonder what factors are at play in these cases...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Most clinical papers say that demodectic rosacea (demonicosis) is not contagious. However, there is data that shows otherwise. Usually the question is why do demodex like human skin? There are many other interesting and informative posts on demodectic rosacea here.
    What non profit organization for rosacea would do some investigative research on this? Do you think it is possible for say 10K rosaceans to get together and each donated one dollar and sponsored their own clinical, double blind (now called randomized controlled trial or read the subheading 'double blind' in this post), placebo controlled study on whether demodex mites transfer to humans or not and nail the coffin on this subject? Some papers say they do not, but it only makes sense that if Scabies mites transfer to humans that the demodex folliculorum and brevis would too. Papers say that most humans on planet earth have demodex and that babies coming out of the womb do not and later develop demodex at they grow up. If the mites don't transfer to humans, how do babies who are not born with demodex mites then later develop the mites? They hop on board on space ships? Of course, they are transferred by human contact.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 20th October 2020 at 02:02 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manufc View Post
    The SAME to me. I developed what i though is demodex problems a year ago the my father and sister developed similar symptoms -more hard in my father case-.
    Scabies thing is something that i thinking of ?who knows? you seems to have more knowledge of this things than me, updates on your conditions will be helpful to me. i going to do a course of oral ivermectin that targets both problems speciall scabies. Fingers crossed.
    I'm sorry to hear you're also going through this. I cannot say with 100% certainty that I had scabies (due to the somewhat conflicting expert opinions, and the fact that I don't know just how deep under the skin scabies eggs are laid; my skin scraping seemed quite superficial. Maybe I should post the image of the egg here so everyone can see for themselves) or that it's involved with the demodicosis in any way, it's possible. But like you say ivermectin should work regardless of what mite you're dealing with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too! I want to try oral ivermectin but none of the dermatologists I've seen have wanted to prescribe it to me, unfortunately.
    May I ask if you have any idea about how you and your family first got this demodex problem? If you think you caught it from someone else or if any of my theories about my situation seem familiar?
    Last edited by soapbubbles1; 20th October 2020 at 01:50 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soapbubbles1 View Post
    I want to try oral ivermectin but none of the dermatologists I've seen have wanted to prescribe it to me, unfortunately.
    Have your dermatologist read this post.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soapbubbles1 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you're also going through this. I cannot say with 100% certainty that I had scabies (due to the somewhat conflicting expert opinions, and the fact that I don't know just how deep under the skin scabies eggs are laid; my skin scraping seemed quite superficial. Maybe I should post the image of the egg here so everyone can see for themselves) or that it's involved with the demodicosis in any way, it's possible. But like you say ivermectin should work regardless of what mite you're dealing with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too! I want to try oral ivermectin but none of the dermatologists I've seen have wanted to prescribe it to me, unfortunately.
    May I ask if you have any idea about how you and your family first got this demodex problem? If you think you caught it from someone else or if any of my theories about my situation seem familiar?
    Sorry but i dont know how i get it. The thing with me is that i developed a few pimples on my legs and genital area, this is common in scabies but with demodex? i dont read any paper that explains pimples in that zones with demodex, maybe someone here knows about it.

Similar Threads

  1. Dr Peter Crouch passed away?!
    By slippy in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th November 2016, 01:57 AM
  2. Rosacea passed from my face to my neck!
    By Sheis4 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st August 2016, 05:19 AM
  3. Free from seb derm (1 month has passed)
    By Kyra08 in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th May 2015, 08:15 PM
  4. Demodicosis
    By Gumbo in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 25th August 2011, 03:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •