Thread: Just Diagnosed with ETR

Default Just Diagnosed with ETR

I am 75 years old and have just been diagnosed by my GP with ETR during my checkup in July. The rosacea was not in "full bloom" when I saw him but has recurred repeatedly since then. He prescribed Metronidazole 0.75% topical cream which doesn't seem to have made a difference much because of recurrent episodes. I see there has been some discussion about masks here and my condition seems to worsen with wearing a particular mask when I go out once a week to shop. I have discontinued its use, but it seems like the damage has already been done.

I have been reading about rosacea and trying to educate myself because I was not familiar with this condition before it popped up unwelcome on my face. I see that there is no cure and much of the treatment relies on ones ability to manage my own symptoms. So, my question is this. I cannot tell from what I've read how much a dermatologist will be able to help me. My GP gave me a prescription for the Metronidazole for 6 renewals which tells me I'm supposed to be using the stuff forever. It burns, puffs my face and the bumps on my cheeks weep. I enjoy the outside and my garden and now realize those things are not of benefit. At what point should I be seeking the advice of a dermatologist? Now or wait a bit longer to see if the Metronidazole can actually help? I read it can take some time to be effective. I didn't start with it until August. The GP just DX'd me and didn't have much to offer with regard to my rosacea.

As a young person, I never had any trouble with my skin and this is just so frustrating, uncomfortable and nasty to look at. I really appreciate thus forum and thanks for helping.

Welcome to RF. Your GP is giving you the standard treatment for rosacea which has been around for fifty years, topical metronidazole. Usually this old standard treatment also includes high dose oral doxycycline but apparently your GP is cautious. The new gold standard is Soolantra and low dose oral doxycycline (Oracea). Metronidazole takes at least one month to see improvement, more like three months but usually requires oral doxycycline. Many respond well to this treatment, but, of course no treatment works for every rosacean, which is what we call the X factor. It would probably be a good idea to see a dermatologist and get a second opinion. If the standard treatments for rosacea don't work, read this post.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thank you so much for your response. I didn't realize the Metronidazole would take so long to be effective. I will give it time and see if the flare-ups don't happen as frequently. They usually last a day with 3-4 days to fade leaving me with a peeling sunburn-like residual. Thanks again and I really appreciate this forum.