Thread: Isotretinoin - Is is worth it & How to get from doctor

Default Isotretinoin - Is is worth it & How to get from doctor

I tried to get Isotretinoin from a dermatologist to see if it works for Rosacea type 1 (maybe Neurogenic Rosacea) that I have. But it turns out that it is not that easy task and the doctor did not accept my arguments. He added that the drug is used for severe acne and it is really strong, even when I said I need low dosages and should not be used to treat other diseases. What to do? How to talk to other doctors? This one evidently won't help me anymore so I must find another.

First off, read this post, particularly, under the subheading, Trusting & Communicating with your Physician. It is odd that your dermatologist (assuming it was a dermatologist) refuses to prescribe isotretinoin since it has been prescribed for acne or rosacea for many rosaceans for many years and the anecdotal reports on this are substantial. While high dose isotretinoin can be associated with isotretinoin induced rosacea, physicians have been prescribing low dose isotretinoin for a number of years now. This post shows two prestigious articles on this subject, one published by the New England Journal of Medicine on an article entitled 'Rosacea.' Remember that you are approaching a physician and are asking him for a prescription that this should be done with respect and graciousness since you are a patient and he is the professional. I am just saying this as an obvious fact. For example, you could print the post with the quotes from the two articles on this subject, and ask, 'what is your opinion of these two findings using low dose isotretinion for rosacea?' Telling a physician to do something usually doesn't work, if the patient comes across as being more knowledgeable about rosacea than the dermatologist. After all, the dermatologist went through a substantial number of hoops to get that medical degree which you see pictured on the wall in the exam room of his office. And we (the patient) are coming to the dermatologist for his advice, examination and prescription treatment. It is much better to work with a dermatologist than arguing with what we may perceive is the treatment we want. Build bridges rather than destroy them. We can do this with respect for his profession. I am not implying that you were disrespectful, I am just saying this as an obvious fact. We want to work with dermatologists, don't we? Your next visit may be more productive if your approach is asking questions rather than coming across as 'this is what I want.' And you may in the end get what you want. However, remember that not everyone is successful with isotretinoin. The Rosacea X-factor.

Another subject you should be aware of is the placebo/nocebo effect in rosacea which may help you in your understanding of what works for rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 22nd September 2020 at 12:25 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thank you for your input Brady. I think during my visit I was respectfull but also determined. So I begin with explainin few other stories from this forum and how the isotretinoin help them to get it in to control. Then dermatologist suggested his aproach which included other medications to check before going to isotretinoin for a couple months. I didn't want to wait this few months, I have been guinea pig for countless dermatologist in the past 20 years. So I'm certain it will not work so I opted to stay with isotretinoin and if it will not help (cause I want to try) then I will go with the way he proposed. Then he said he cannot do that before I go with his treatments first. So I was left with the choice of waiting a few months or going to another dermatologist. And Im choosing the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage View Post
    Thank you for your input Brady. I think during my visit I was respectfull but also determined. So I begin with explainin few other stories from this forum and how the isotretinoin help them to get it in to control. Then dermatologist suggested his aproach which included other medications to check before going to isotretinoin for a couple months. I didn't want to wait this few months, I have been guinea pig for countless dermatologist in the past 20 years. So I'm certain it will not work so I opted to stay with isotretinoin and if it will not help (cause I want to try) then I will go with the way he proposed. Then he said he cannot do that before I go with his treatments first. So I was left with the choice of waiting a few months or going to another dermatologist. And Im choosing the latter.
    What about topical Isotretinoin (isotrex, Isotrexin), most doctors are more willing to prescribe this as it has less side effects than systemic Isotretinoin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    What about topical Isotretinoin (isotrex, Isotrexin), most doctors are more willing to prescribe this as it has less side effects than systemic Isotretinoin.
    I may try this next time when I will see doctor which will be Thursday. I booked visit with another one. Hope she will be less resistive to this idea. If not then it may mean that I will need to go through the whole process which will probably take months. Which I m bit tired to do. Especially when there is autumm and winter right behind the corner. For me worst part of the year. With constant flushing, face burning and going full red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    It appears that Isotrex has been discontinued by the manufacturer according to the NHS. Isotrexin contains erythromycin 2% w/w and isotretinoin 0.05% indicated for the treatment of moderate acne vulgaris and is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline (Ireland) which is owned by Stiefel Laboratories (Ireland) Ltd. see product insert
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

I wonder cause i found online shop in UK where they selling generic isotretinoin with the Accutane name.
    Is it safe to buy it without prescription. I find it very hard to convice doctors to prescribe it for Rosacea.
    I my country doctors see it only as a drug for severe ACNE. And none amount of data can convince them otherwise.
    This shop is called Euro-pharmacyonline. I checked it by https://safe.pharmacy/not-recommended-sites/
    but they are not mentioned there. How is it with your expierience, can they be trustyworthy and I may buy it from them.