Thread: Anyone using Finacea ? I need advice,

Default Anyone using Finacea ? I need advice,

Right after using soolantra and taking oral ivermectin. I’m finally gonna give finacea a try. I have only ever tried it for a few days. Any advice on routine ? And How long does it take to work ?
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 21st September 2020 at 07:52 PM.

I heard about Azelaic Acid around 2007 but never tried it. My new dermatologist recommended I try it and gave me a Rx for the gel and for the Finacea Foam. I received the gel on August 24 and used up one tube and just received my second tube about five days ago. The gel is generic and is cheap $15 US dollars (copayment with my insurance). Received the Finacea Foam 15% around September 6 (costs me $57 copayment with my insurance). Finacea doesn't last as long as the generic gel and I have a little bit left in the can which you can shake and feel how much liquid is left, which isn't much. I have been applying both on my rosacea/SD/folliculitis and it definitely has improved my folliculitis on the back of my scalp and somewhat has improved my facial rosacea/SD issues. I am also taking low dose doxycycline 20 mg/twice a day. I am to have a followup visit with my dermatologist at the end of September. I would say that azeliac acid is definitely worth trying to see if it works for you. Most treatments for rosacea take months to work so I plan on using this for at least three months. I am giving regular updates in my rosacea blog which is a tool RRDi members can use to create their own rosacea blog and run it themselves. Blog owners can designate moderators and make their own rosacea blog private or public, free for RRDi members. I think you are on the right track to try it. The only way to know is use it for at least a month to see if you see improvement. As with all rosacea treatments there is the Rosacea X-Factor.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    I heard about Azelaic Acid around 2007 but never tried it. My new dermatologist recommended I try it and gave me a Rx for the gel and for the Finacea Foam. I received the gel on August 24 and used up one tube and just received my second tube about five days ago. The gel is generic and is cheap $15 US dollars (copayment with my insurance). Received the Finacea Foam 15% around September 6 (costs me $57 copayment with my insurance). Finacea doesn't last as long as the generic gel and I have a little bit left in the can which you can shake and feel how much liquid is left, which isn't much. I have been applying both on my rosacea/SD/folliculitis and it definitely has improved my folliculitis on the back of my scalp and somewhat has improved my facial rosacea/SD issues. I am also taking low dose doxycycline 20 mg/twice a day. I am to have a followup visit with my dermatologist at the end of September. I would say that azeliac acid is definitely worth trying to see if it works for you. Most treatments for rosacea take months to work so I plan on using this for at least three months. I am giving regular updates in my rosacea blog which is a tool RRDi members can use to create their own rosacea blog and run it themselves. Blog owners can designate moderators and make their own rosacea blog private or public, free for RRDi members. I think you are on the right track to try it. The only way to know is use it for at least a month to see if you see improvement. As with all rosacea treatments there is the Rosacea X-Factor.
    Thanks Brady I will follow your blog. I thought you had got rosacea
    under control with diet though .

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Thanks Brady I will follow your blog. I thought you had got rosacea under control with diet though .
    If I follow my 'rosacea diet' my rosacea is controlled, but I cheat since I have a sugar tooth. Just yesterday I cheated and had an ice cream. I know this will indeed worsen my rosacea and my wife reminds me constantly when I cheat on my diet that I will be paying for it. What happened is I developed folliculitis on the back part of my scalp as well as the sides and I have been trying everything anyone mentions about this since I thought it was SD and nothing worked. So I went to my new dermatologist who simply asked me if I had ever tried azelaic acid, which I haven't, and since I am asking her for help, I accepted her recommendation and have been using it for about a month now and have noticed an improvement especially of the folliculitis in my scalp I will continue using it for a couple of months more to see the results. I am impressed with azelaic acid and recommend it. There is nothing that cures rosacea and all the treatments simply 'control' it. Reports of remission are rare. It is difficult or at the best almost impossible to follow up on anecdotal reports of remission. If rosacea treatments actually worked for rosaceans there wouldn't be 19.6K members at the Reddit r/rosacea social media group continuing to ask 'Do I have rosacea?' and asking about treatments or at Facebook, Twitter or Instagram social media groups with similar complaints, nor would RF have 38.5K members (only 141 are active members).
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

If I follow my 'rosacea diet' my rosacea is controlled, but I cheat since I have a sugar tooth. Just yesterday I cheated and had an ice cream. I know this will indeed worsen my rosacea and my wife reminds me constantly when I cheat on my diet that I will be paying for it. What happened is I developed folliculitis on the back part of my scalp as well as the sides and I have been trying everything anyone mentions about this since I thought it was SD and nothing worked. So I went to my new dermatologist who simply asked me if I had ever tried azelaic acid, which I haven't, and since I am asking her for help, I accepted her recommendation and have been using it for about a month now and have noticed an improvement especially of the folliculitis in my scalp I will continue using it for a couple of months more to see the results. I am impressed with azelaic acid and recommend it. There is nothing that cures rosacea and all the treatments simply 'control' it. Reports of remission are rare. It is difficult or at the best almost impossible to follow up on anecdotal reports of remission. If rosacea treatments actually worked for rosaceans there wouldn't be 19.6K members at the Reddit r/rosacea social media group continuing to ask 'Do I have rosacea?' and asking about treatments or at Facebook, Twitter or Instagram social media groups with similar complaints, nor would RF have 38.5K members (only 141 are active members).
    Well that?s depressing. I do know ones that have achieved getting rid of their rosacea . So I?m not quite giving up hope yet. I?m chatting with a lady whose had it 15 years and has finally got rid of it through diet. The diet I?m on has repaired my gut from Gastritis and my chronic fatigue has just about gone. And that?s amazing seeing how I could hardly get out of bed for fatigue body pain and had a tremor in January and was on lots of stomach meds and pain killers in the form of antidepressants . I?ve been told rosacea could take 12 to 18 months to get better. But all my nails have grown back as they snapped off as well . So my body is slowly repairing itself . I now take my two big dogs ( who are a handful ) and go walking for miles like I use to.

Well that?s depressing. I do know ones that have achieved getting rid of their rosacea . So I?m not quite giving up hope yet. I?m chatting with a lady whose had it 15 years and has finally got rid of it through diet. The diet I?m on has repaired my gut from Gastritis and my chronic fatigue has just about gone. And that?s amazing seeing how I could hardly get out of bed for fatigue body pain and had a tremor in January and was on lots of stomach meds and pain killers in the form of antidepressants . I?ve been told rosacea could take 12 to 18 months to get better. But all my nails have grown back as they snapped off as well . So my body is slowly repairing itself . I now take my two big dogs ( who are a handful ) and go walking for miles like I use to.
    Didn't mean to discourage you. Glad your diet is helping. The RRDi is the only non profit organization for rosacea to recognize GUT Rosacea. Dr. Weinstock, an RRDi MAC member, is an expert in treating GUT rosacea. As for remission, the word means different things depending on the user of the word and its context. For example, the Mayo Clinic writes using the word 'remission' the following statement; "But treatment doesn't cure ocular rosacea. It often recurs after an apparent remission."

For more information
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Didn't mean to discourage you. Glad your diet is helping. The RRDi is the only non profit organization for rosacea to recognize GUT Rosacea. Dr. Weinstock, an RRDi MAC member, is an expert in treating GUT rosacea. As for remission, the word means different things depending on the user of the word and its context. For example, the Mayo Clinic writes using the word 'remission' the following statement; "But treatment doesn't cure ocular rosacea. It often recurs after an apparent remission."

For more information
    In that case there?s no reason for research as there is no cure only management of it with what treatment that?s already available. As I have ocular rosacea aswell I guess Im screwed as I can’t have antibiotics either. I’m continuing with what I’m doing regardless so I’ll know in 12 - 18 months either way . Lots of people on the Facebook page I’m on have had amazing results and are very positive. So I guess this will be my last post for 12 months ����
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 23rd September 2020 at 01:28 PM.

In that case there?s no reason for research as there is no cure only management of it with what treatment that?s already available. As I have ocular rosacea aswell I guess Im screwed as I can?t have antibiotics either. I?m continuing with what I?m doing regardless so I?ll know in 12 - 18 months either way . Lots of people on the Facebook page I?m on have had amazing results and are very positive. So I guess this will be my last post for 12 months ����
    Not sure about what you mean 'no reason for research as there is no cure only management.' Of course there is reason for research, we need to know more so we can find the cure for rosacea. The research into cytokines and rosacea is worth researching, as well as many other areas of research. You are not alone in not being able to take antibiotics for rosacea. You mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that you had "been told rosacea could take 12 to 18 months to get better." Usually you should be seeing improvement within one to three months is what most authoritative papers indicate.

One example is this statement, "However in the study of Schaller et al., therapy with the oral administration of 250 mg metronidazole three times a day for 2 weeks resulted in a rapid and lasting recovery. Subsequent follow-up evaluation for the next 9 months showed excellent control of the disease." However, since you can't take antibiotics there is oral ivermectin.

The same paper did an investigation of taking oral ivermectin alone ( (two doses of 200 μg/kg, 1 week apart)) for rosacea and compared this with taking oral ivermectin and oral metronidazole together. All patients were then followed-up weekly for four visits. The results? "With regard to clinical improvement, at the last visit for those on the combined therapy regimen, 1.7% of patients showed no clinical improvement, 26.7% showed a marked clinical improvement, and 71.6% showed complete remission, while in those on the ivermectin regimen, 27 patients had a mite count >5 mites/cm2, 21.7% of them showed no clinical improvement, 33.3% showed a marked improvement, and 45% showed complete remission." More information on this paper.

The research comparing the two treatment regimens was done in four weeks. In the ivermectin group alone '45% showed complete remission.' Whether oral ivermectin is for you or not, you have to decide and find a doctor willing to give you a prescription. How long did the ivermectin group stayed in remission is something the paper doesn't indicate.

You seem happy with the Facebook page you are on and wish you much success with your regimen and hope you continue posting in RF. No need to wait 12 months.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi