Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipl 8 days ago.. Rosacea is way worse.

Default Ipl 8 days ago.. Rosacea is way worse.

IPL worsened rosacea?
    recently had an Ipl treatment for rosacea and it has gotten worse. Skin is redder and flushing is much more hot and happens easier.

This is only after one session. Unsure if this is normal or if I should drop the treatment and find a dermatologist. Anybody else experience this? Suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    IPL worsened rosacea?
    recently had an Ipl treatment for rosacea and it has gotten worse. Skin is redder and flushing is much more hot and happens easier.

This is only after one session. Unsure if this is normal or if I should drop the treatment and find a dermatologist. Anybody else experience this? Suicidal.
    If it's only been 8 days I think there's still hope it'll calm down- treat your skin as gently as possible for now and see if it heals up. Did you do the treatment in a dermatologist's office? The ones done is spas aren't really safe or recommended by derms.

That being said, mine did get worse after IPL even though I did do it in a dermatologist's office and there are others on here that had the same experience. There are treatments that can help- several mentioned in this article:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3692271/

I have added your experience to the list, while short, but probably will grow.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

This happened to me over 10 years ago.My sensitivity to flushing probably doubled after several treatment.
    If i were you i'd stop the treatment and give it a few months to see if things calm down.

also informs that lasers can worsen the condition and it is very likely. I suggest you stay away from lasers and ipl as far as possible. I had a lot of them and in retrospect I know that they hurt me more than they helped, even though there were some single treatments when the skin was brighter for some time (but it was only temporary). They make the skin very sensitive and it is a long-lasting symptom. It is enough to have the wrong settings or sometimes you do a series of treatments with the same settings and which subsequent treatment worsened the condition /

Quote Originally Posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    IPL worsened rosacea?

Yes my rosacea was triggered by vbeam. Yours may settle down though-it?s very early days.Hang in there. This forum is here to support you. I found clonidine stopped the worst of my flushing.

I had IPL in November 2018 and it took three weeks for the flushing and redness to subside. I began developing the "Coffee grounds" things which soon dropped off to reveal speckles of brighter skin.

I haven't had another since and not because I found anything to be wrong with the treatment. During recovery of the IPL I noticed that the treatment sites from the vBeam I had four months prior were very aggravated. It took a good 6 months for the aggravated areas to fade.

I often wonder if another IPL would help. I like to give each treatment a wide berth as I do not want any overlap if possible. If I go for IPL again, believe me when I say I'll insist on a test patch.

My first IPL came with no such testing, and on reflection, might've been too soon.I'm giving Azelaic Acid a few months together with yellow LED (583nm).

There are numerous reports of worsened skin following IPL and it has frightened me a little and made me wary. The person who performed my IPL, by the way, is a former student of Dr Peter Crouch.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

While my knowledge of Photo Dynamic Therapy is limited, my understanding is that IPL and PDL are different.

IPL
    "An Intense Pulsed Light or IPL is also called a photo facial. It's a machine that emits short bursts of a powerful, polychromatic light that go just below the surface of the skin, where they target either melanin or blood vessels. The light destroys the melanin or blood vessels and thus destroys things like age spots and spider veins. IPL treatment can also stimulate collagen production and thus rejuvenate skin." [1]

PDL
    "A Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL) aims an intense and focused light beam at blood vessels beneath the skin. The light becomes heat that obliterates the targeted blood vessel but leaves the neighboring skin and tissue unharmed. The PDL uses yellow light because it does not cause any long-term damage to the skin." [1]

vBeam is PDL

There are a number of hand held IPL devices that use broad spectrum light. These devices are available over the counter (not to mention the vast number of LED devices).

While the two are categorized under Photo Dynamic Therapy they are different.

[1] IPL VS PULSED DYE LASER: WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 1st August 2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Momof View Post
    Yes my rosacea was triggered by vbeam. Yours may settle down though-it?s very early days.Hang in there. This forum is here to support you. I found clonidine stopped the worst of my flushing.
    how long have you used this for? and does it reduce the facial flushing??

been suggsted propranolol but my doctors wont allow me to have it until i have a test for lupus.

I definitely think I'll be swerving the IPL or any lazer treatment

Quote Originally Posted by TSW1988 View Post
    how long have you used this for? and does it reduce the facial flushing??

been suggsted propranolol but my doctors wont allow me to have it until i have a test for lupus.

I definitely think I'll be swerving the IPL or any lazer treatment
    I used Clonidine for about 6 months ( 50 micrograms x3 daily). It calmed the massive flushes very quickly ( it took about 2 weeks) and then I tapered down to about 50 micrograms x1 daily for a few months. I?m
    off it totally now and in general, once I control my environment ( heat etc), I flush very little. My problem
    now is nerve pain ( much reduced due to LDN-I also used Duloxetine) and pain from residual swelling-I have so much lymph in my face that I just can?t shift.