Thread: Finacea

Default Finacea

I keep trying Finacea and it always puzzles me what it’s supposed to do. As it seems to have no effect on me. A dab of sudecrem works better on spots. Is it prevent spots or heal spots as it seems to do neither 🤷🏼*♀️

Finacea is azelaic acid which many rosaceans respond well to and improves their rosacea, and as with all rosacea treatments, not everyone responds well, since there hasn't been found any rosacea treatment that works well for everyone. Azelaic acid is found in wheat, rye, and barley and is industrially produced so the pharmaceutical companies can patent a prescription. "In plants, azelaic acid serves as a "distress flare" involved in defense responses after infection. It serves as a signal that induces the accumulation of salicylic acid, an important component of a plant's defensive response." Wikipedia

So you can see from this why pharmaceutical companies have patented a natural treatment into one that improves rosacea. This happens a lot in medicine, i.e., quinine, morphine, digoxin, etc.

Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Finacea is azelaic acid which many rosaceans respond well to and improves their rosacea, and as with all rosacea treatments, not everyone responds well, since there hasn't been found any rosacea treatment that works well for everyone. Azelaic acid is found in wheat, rye, and barley and is industrially produced so the pharmaceutical companies can patent a prescription. "In plants, azelaic acid serves as a "distress flare" involved in defense responses after infection. It serves as a signal that induces the accumulation of salicylic acid, an important component of a plant's defensive response." Wikipedia

So you can see from this why pharmaceutical companies have patented a natural treatment into one that improves rosacea. This happens a lot in medicine, i.e., quinine, morphine, digoxin, etc.

Thanks 🙏🏻 just seems to have no effect on either redness or spots 🤷🏼*♀️

I'm using the slightly stronger "Skinoren" (Azelaic Acid 20%) which I can tolerate without issue. I started off on an over the counter 10% formulation before moving on to the 20%.

You'll need to work up to it using it once a week, then twice, three times etc until you can comfortably use it every day. Even then, you'll need to go it three months before judging the results.

It's an anti-inflamatory and gentle exfoliant, helping to turn over skin cells while reducing redness. It's perhaps the darling of the acne community, and has been adopted by those with general redness.

I had vBeam in November, and planned to get back on AA as soon as things had settled down. Alas, things never have quite "settled down" and I'm still seeing laser induced redness from the vBeam. I've yet to apply the Azelaic Acid daily as I'm afraid of irritating the skin, which is why I'm so cautious in building up to its everyday use.

The last time I used it for a decent amount of time, it must have been about three months daily, which I stopped so I could have the laser.

In the time I used it I felt like the skin was a little more stable and less reactive. I had the laser because I am dealing with some permanantly dilated vessells brought on my an ill-advised use of brimonidine (aka Mirvaso).

I'll be using AA for three months and counting, all the while using Niacinamide and Hyaluronic Acid underneath it. I may have more laser down the road, but probably will stop the AA again for a few weeks before having an IPL test patch.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."