Thread: Soolantra and ZZ cream

Default Soolantra and ZZ cream

Hey all,

Okay, so I've been using just soolantra once a day at night for just over a month now. As for its effect upon my skin, I'd say my forehead has been consistently worse during that time, in terms of tiny papules/pustules, while my nose and cheeks have been about the same. Certainly no real improvement.

So what I'm wondering, do I do the sensible thing and stick with just the soolantra for another few months? Or do I start using zz cream as well: soolantra in morning, zz cream at night?

Thanks for any advice/input.

Assuming that your physician who prescribed Soolantra examined you a month ago, my recommendation is for you to see your physician again and ask what is recommended with regard to continuing the Soolantra. Usually, you should notice improvement in your skin with Soolantra within a month, but, of course, it does get worse before it gets better, depending on your particular skin condition. That is why asking your physician is probably the best recommended course to take whether to continue or not.

As for the ZZ cream, is uses sublimed sulfur which is the active ingredient, totally different from the active ingredient in Solantra, which is ivermectin. Of course, you are in the best position to decide whether to use two treatments for rosacea at the same time. This is sometimes a quandary whether to use a More is Better vs Less is More approach when treating your rosacea.

Are you also trying to control your rosacea with trigger avoidance, i.e., avoiding certain food/drink, particularly sugar/carbohydrate?
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by ASordidGod View Post
    Hey all,

Okay, so I've been using just soolantra once a day at night for just over a month now. As for its effect upon my skin, I'd say my forehead has been consistently worse during that time, in terms of tiny papules/pustules, while my nose and cheeks have been about the same. Certainly no real improvement.

So what I'm wondering, do I do the sensible thing and stick with just the soolantra for another few months? Or do I start using zz cream as well: soolantra in morning, zz cream at night?

Thanks for any advice/input.
    I tried Soolantra a few years ago and I recall it took about 6-8 weeks to see improvement. Ultimately, after around 14 weeks of treatment, I felt that I wasn't happy with the overall improvement and moved onto other treatments. But I am glad that I persisted for the full 12 weeks of recommended treatment, because now I know for certain that Soolantra does not work for me and I don't have to wonder.

If you are still on the fence about Soolantra, my advice would be to continue with Soolantra alone for a minimum of 6-8 weeks before you make a decision. If you start ZZ cream at the same, you won't be able to properly track the impact of each product on your skin. And if you finish Soolantra early, you may always wonder...

Thanks for the replies. I think as I've stuck with soolantra this far, I'm just going to stick it out for the twelve weeks. I can always try zz cream again then.

Okay, so I think actually I've begun to see improvement in terms of papules/pustules; but nothing in terms of redness/skin sensitivity/flushing. I guess soolantra isn't really designed for that? I'm also taking 40mg of doxy, but that's doing little as far as I can tell. I'm started to get frustrated at the lack of progress, to be honest. Ah well.

The doxy will definitely help you with your P&Ps, although it can take a while to kick in as well. How long have you been taking it?

Personally, I didn't see any improvement in my flushing or redness from Soolantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
    The doxy will definitely help you with your P&Ps, although it can take a while to kick in as well. How long have you been taking it?

Personally, I didn't see any improvement in my flushing or redness from Soolantra.
    I've been taking doxy for three months now, almost. The problem is I've been taking soolantra for five weeks now, so maybe that made the papules worse for a while, and undid the good work doxy might have been doing. To be honest the p and ps aren't too bad; they're certainly not my biggest concern. Which is the redness, particularly of my nose. In the past oxytetrcyline seemed to help with that; but it's not working anymore. I was hoping doxy might help, but not really. Recently I've thrown some lymecyline into the mix, which I know is not wise nor sustainable, but I was desperate. However despite maybe some improvement in redness flushing stinging, etc - I hadn't had a proper nose flush for over a week - these past few days my skin has been worse than ever. I'm wondering if maybe the antibiotics are interfering with each other?

ps - I know I've replied to you, but that was just to answer the initial question. I'm not seriously expecting you to help with the rest of my rant. Or even read it.