Thread: How are you all coping with face masks?

Default How are you all coping with face masks?

Hi all,

I’m just wondering how those of you who live in places where face masks are mandatory are coping?

Here in Scotland masks are advised when inside supermarkets etc, but they are not mandatory because it’s recognised that some people have conditions that mean they cannot cope with wearing a mask - the example usually given is asthma... but of course those of us who can’t cope with our faces getting overly warm will also be struggling.

In Scotland we’re being a bit more cautious and slow in our phases out of lockdown, non essential shops and most places of work are still closed for instance. But I can’t help but wonder how you’re doing if you live somewhere where you have to wear a mask a lot, especially on a warm summers day.

Hope you’re all doing OK?

Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    That’s helpful - but I was also thinking of The flushing brought on by the extra facial heat the mask causes.. just wondering how people are coping with that... or not coping..

Flushing (albeit to a much lesser degree) is really my only issue now. My skin isn’t really sensitive anymore, I’m slopping on any sunscreen I want these days with no irritation, as well as vit C serum in the mornings and even tretinoin every evening.

But too much heat still brings on a flush... I’m grateful that (so far) masks are only advised here in Scotland - I went to a garden centre last week and wore a mask but it brought on a flush pretty quickly. But to get that into perspective, it was nowhere near what I used to get and was gone after 10 mins in the car air conditioning...

I’m really thinking of others here and hoping you’re all doing ok?
    Last edited by Fiugs; 17th June 2020 at 06:50 AM.

Personally, I wear a homemade cotton mask my sister-in-law made for me when I go out in public with no issues. Since I rarely flush, no more than the general public, I don't have your issue. There is another paper on this but only the title is available today. You are probably already aware of the prescription/non prescription treatments for flushing that are listed here.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Personally, I wear a homemade cotton mask my sister-in-law made for me when I go out in public with no issues. Since I rarely flush, no more than the general public[/URL].
    Which is why I posted my question here - in the section for people whose rosacea most likely does give them flushing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    That’s helpful - but I was also thinking of The flushing brought on by the extra facial heat the mask causes.. just wondering how people are coping with that... or not coping..

Flushing (albeit to a much lesser degree) is really my only issue now. My skin isn’t really sensitive anymore, I’m slopping on any sunscreen I want these days with no irritation, as well as vit C serum in the mornings and even tretinoin every evening.

But too much heat still brings on a flush... I’m grateful that (so far) masks are only advised here in Scotland - I went to a garden centre last week and wore a mask but it brought on a flush pretty quickly. But to get that into perspective, it was nowhere near what I used to get and was gone after 10 mins in the car air conditioning...

I’m really thinking of others here and hoping you’re all doing ok?
    A spray bottle can be quite a good way to calm a flush if it is mild. I use this brand:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Natu...3-09163b7d9294

You can use it as necessary in the car before entering a shop or garden centre and also when you leave again.

Haven't found a solution to this either. I get marks on my face just from the straps.

I'll be on a long plane ride next week so if anyone has any solutions, I'd love to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    Hi all,

I’m just wondering how those of you who live in places where face masks are mandatory are coping?

Here in Scotland masks are advised when inside supermarkets etc, but they are not mandatory because it’s recognised that some people have conditions that mean they cannot cope with wearing a mask - the example usually given is asthma... but of course those of us who can’t cope with our faces getting overly warm will also be struggling.

In Scotland we’re being a bit more cautious and slow in our phases out of lockdown, non essential shops and most places of work are still closed for instance. But I can’t help but wonder how you’re doing if you live somewhere where you have to wear a mask a lot, especially on a warm summers day.

Hope you’re all doing OK?
    I don’t wear one . But having spent 20+ years using one every day . The paper like ones they sell at chemists are the least irritating. Cotton can trap too much moisture and be too heavy on the face