Thread: Can't tan on face anymore since developing rosacea :(

Unhappy Can't tan on face anymore since developing rosacea :(

So I've had this rosacea now for 9/10 months. My skin right now is very pale (because I avoided the sun for a while) but with a lot of redness in the central face area. In the past few weeks I've been sitting in my garden trying to get a bit of colour.

Now, naturally I have like a type 3 skin. I used to be very tanned. But since I've had rosacea I've been unable to tan, in fact when I sit in the sun, sunscreen or not it makes my face redder and I even get itchy hives on my face. It's very depressing because I feel like a nice dark tan would cover my redness a lot,but because I'm pale it stands out.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or they know a scientific reason to why this could be happening?

Not an answer to your problem but some advice.

Any exposure to ultraviolet light (especially sunlight) sufficient to alter the colour of the skin is damaging and potentially dangerous to health. Considering that you used to be very tanned, the damage may have already occurred. It may even be that your current skin condition may have been exacerbated by excessive UV exposure. Melanoma is a very serious skin condition and a common outcome of excessive exposure to light.

Concentrate now on your health rather than vanity.

It is true that one of the theories of the cause of rosacea is photo damaged skin, but a recent paper had this to say on this subject:

"Notably, blood vessel densities in the skins of UVB-treated mice and rosacea patients were significantly decreased by RF irradiation. These results provide experimental and molecular evidence regarding the effectiveness of RF irradiation for the treatment of rosacea." See the fourth post in this thread.

This may explain at least partially the unexplained benefit of rosacea clearance when going on a vacation to a sunny beach.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceK View Post
    So I've had this rosacea now for 9/10 months. My skin right now is very pale (because I avoided the sun for a while) but with a lot of redness in the central face area. In the past few weeks I've been sitting in my garden trying to get a bit of colour.

Now, naturally I have like a type 3 skin. I used to be very tanned. But since I've had rosacea I've been unable to tan, in fact when I sit in the sun, sunscreen or not it makes my face redder and I even get itchy hives on my face. It's very depressing because I feel like a nice dark tan would cover my redness a lot,but because I'm pale it stands out.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or they know a scientific reason to why this could be happening?
    Hi Lawrence,

I have had rosacea for 7 years which seemingly came on overnight. I, like you, used to be very tanned. I have attached an image 3 years into my rosacea journey. As my journey with this condition went on, there were times where I also believed I couldn't tan like I used to. However, although that is true in my case as the vbeam has taken pigment from my skin, I still can tan, it just takes a period of my skin getting used to it in the sun. There are periods when my skin is going through a bad time and will be very sensitive to the sun. However, I went away to Mexico for 4 months last year (I dread every holiday by the way as have avoided the sun for the last 2 years), but to my surprise, my skin improved. Every time I go on a holiday, the same pattern occurs. Skin is sensitive, skin flares up, skin starts to normalise, skin gets tanned. For me, the last 2 years have been so much about avoiding the sun, when what I think this has done is just cause it to be even more sensitive when I do expose myself to the sun. The thing with rosacea is that I don't believe it interferes with your melanin levels, and therefore, if you still have the ability to produce melanocytes and tan. Therefore a prolonged period in the sun will still ensure you tan. I am not saying that you should go out and sit in the sun for an hour, but maybe 5 minutes a day and help build up a tolerance. Its funny, last week there were 4 days that i sat in the sun and my skin felt fine, didn't feel hot or inflame much at all. But this week, my skin is much more sensitive, and I wouldn't think fo expsoing myself to the sun like i did last week. When you go through good periods, take advantage and expose yourself to sun for small bursts. Try not to worry about your ability to tan, I can still tan after 7 years of the condition, maybe not quite as much as before, but still enough.

Hope that helps.IMG_3446 2.jpg

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hi Lawrence,

I have had rosacea for 7 years which seemingly came on overnight. I, like you, used to be very tanned. I have attached an image 3 years into my rosacea journey. As my journey with this condition went on, there were times where I also believed I couldn't tan like I used to. However, although that is true in my case as the vbeam has taken pigment from my skin, I still can tan, it just takes a period of my skin getting used to it in the sun. There are periods when my skin is going through a bad time and will be very sensitive to the sun. However, I went away to Mexico for 4 months last year (I dread every holiday by the way as have avoided the sun for the last 2 years), but to my surprise, my skin improved. Every time I go on a holiday, the same pattern occurs. Skin is sensitive, skin flares up, skin starts to normalise, skin gets tanned. For me, the last 2 years have been so much about avoiding the sun, when what I think this has done is just cause it to be even more sensitive when I do expose myself to the sun. The thing with rosacea is that I don't believe it interferes with your melanin levels, and therefore, if you still have the ability to produce melanocytes and tan. Therefore a prolonged period in the sun will still ensure you tan. I am not saying that you should go out and sit in the sun for an hour, but maybe 5 minutes a day and help build up a tolerance. Its funny, last week there were 4 days that i sat in the sun and my skin felt fine, didn't feel hot or inflame much at all. But this week, my skin is much more sensitive, and I wouldn't think fo expsoing myself to the sun like i did last week. When you go through good periods, take advantage and expose yourself to sun for small bursts. Try not to worry about your ability to tan, I can still tan after 7 years of the condition, maybe not quite as much as before, but still enough.

Hope that helps.IMG_3446 2.jpg

Thanks Seb, very helpful insight 😁 funny pic too, bloke across the street seems very aware of you and is extra protective over his girl.

I was freaking out a bit before your post, because I thought maybe there's some kind of chemical mechanism within the body that due to my Rosacea being skin/capillary damaged that is stopping me from tanning.

One question though, in the areas where you have Rosacea do you slap on sunscreen on those areas to stop it getting aggravated or would you advise to just go barefaced in the sun to get used to it?

I saw you just mention about v beam, I was thinking of getting one. Does it whiten your skin? I know it diffuses the redness but does it mess up the pigment aswell? I was unaware of that

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceK View Post
    Thanks Seb, very helpful insight 😁 funny pic too, bloke across the street seems very aware of you and is extra protective over his girl.

I was freaking out a bit before your post, because I thought maybe there's some kind of chemical mechanism within the body that due to my Rosacea being skin/capillary damaged that is stopping me from tanning.

One question though, in the areas where you have Rosacea do you slap on sunscreen on those areas to stop it getting aggravated or would you advise to just go barefaced in the sun to get used to it?

I saw you just mention about v beam, I was thinking of getting one. Does it whiten your skin? I know it diffuses the redness but does it mess up the pigment aswell? I was unaware of that
    Hi mate,

In terms of Vbeam, I have had over 15 of them. My advice would be to find a great practitioner first and foremost. What I would say having had so much experience with it, most of the time it helps, but, only temporarily. The bruising vbeams are more effective for redness but there is more chance that your pigment could be removed. Its really hard for me to say whether I advise Vbeam or not. Its helped me a tonne in the past, but the condition always comes back, and in my case has worsened over the years. I would first try and tackle the condition from the inside out. Rosacea is an inflammatory disease and although I have been back and forth whether its a blood vessel dilation and sensitivity issue or inflammation issue, I would lean toward saying its a bit of both, but more inflmmatory. I base this on the fact that my condition has progressively worsened over the years, but there are times where it's manageable. By that I mean -- its always there, but it comes and goes in terms of severity. I went to Central America last year travelling for 4 months. I went to visit my girlfriends family in Canada on the way and my skin was so bad whilst I was there that I said to her "I don't think I am going to last 2 weeks in Central America," I was dreading it. I got to C, America and after 3 days my skin started to improve. I was in the sea surfing, my skin started to burn less, sensitivity went down, even had a few drinks that I hadn't had for years without a flare up. Whether its a combination of stress, humidity, surf, sea, sun, I don't know, but it showed me that it CAN get better. It might not always seem the case, much like the period that I am going through now, I need to remind myself, last year I went to C, America in 30C heat and it was manageable. Even last week I was able to sit in the sun without my skin flaring up and getting hot (this is a rarity nowadays, but it shows it can happen). Keep positive, and PM me if you want any advice.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    I went to Central America last year travelling for 4 months. I went to visit my girlfriends family in Canada on the way and my skin was so bad whilst I was there that I said to her "I don't think I am going to last 2 weeks in Central America," I was dreading it. I got to C, America and after 3 days my skin started to improve. I was in the sea surfing, my skin started to burn less, sensitivity went down, even had a few drinks that I hadn't had for years without a flare up. Whether its a combination of stress, humidity, surf, sea, sun, I don't know, but it showed me that it CAN get better. It might not always seem the case, much like the period that I am going through now, I need to remind myself, last year I went to C, America in 30C heat and it was manageable.
    Your experience in C America is not unique, since I have been collecting other similar anecdotal reports in the third post in this thread on one of the best treatments for rosacea you could ever use. We wish we could all use this treatment for months at a time. I have added your report to the list. Thanks.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 10th June 2020 at 05:17 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi