Thread: Soolantra good for seborrheic Dermatitis?

Default Soolantra good for seborrheic Dermatitis?

I would like to know if soolantra is good to heal Seborrheic Dermatitis?
    Got any patches red/pink that are hard to heal.
    Sometimes put rozacreme too is metronidazole in cream and 15minutes later a moisturizer on it to hydrate.
    The moisturizer don't feed Malassezia cause it's very light avene emulsion extreme light.
    Want to put soolantra on these patches to heal.
    Thks for your reply

While the jury is still out on what exactly causes SD, the evidence points to a fungus, probably Malassezia furfur (formerly known as Pityrosporum ovale), which more evidence suggests co-exists with rosacea, rather than SD being a variant of rosacea, as some authorities have suggested. The jury is still out on what causes rosacea, but demodectic rosacea, a rosacea variant, is treated with ivermectin, an anti-parasitic (Antinematode), as well as an insecticide, used orally and topically for rosacea. The evidence is that reducing the demodex density count improves rosacea which is what ivermectin does. Ivermectin may not be effective with a fungus. Ivermectin works effective with protozoa, i.e., malaria. Recommend you read Tom Busby's SD Protocol or Auburn's Regimen for SD. There are a number of anecdotal reports of using raw honey as a mask improves SD. So it really depends on if you have demodectic rosacea whether ivermectin will improve your issue. It usually takes ninety days to know and 120 days to 180 days for clearance. SD is a totally different ball game with different rules.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

First Thk you for the reply
    I talked with Tom busby and he think I have a SD with a little bit rosacea conditions.
    Sometimes I have red/pink spot I treat with metronidazole cream and it heal very quickly 1/2 days.
    My skin condition is flaky sometimes and itchy.
    Main area concerned is forehead (where are the red/pink spots.
    Eyebrows are pink sometimes, and temple can be pink too
    Soolantra is only for acne rosacea cause i read somewhere it can treat SD too like ketokenazole.
    Shampoo from tom busby are also benefit I think cause against Malassezia and demodex.
    The two conditions are linked.
    For SD I see only ketokenazole like treatement (anti fungus)
    SD = MALASSEZIA
    ACNE ROSACEA = DEMODEX BUT ALDO FEED BY MALASSEZIA NO?

Acne rosacea we are not sure what the cause is and there are a number of theories on this subject, the more current thought on this subject is that rosacea is an inflammatory disease that may be connected to an over excited immune system, called the 'Innate Immune System Disorder' but this hasn't nailed the coffin on this subject, however, the evidence is intriguing. This post discusses more.

Demodectic rosacea is a totally different variant of rosacea. A variant is further from a type. When the NRS created the subtype classification in 2002 it recognized one variant which was 'further from the type,' Granulomatous Rosacea, the only variant the NRS continues to recognize. The RRDi recognizes thirteen variants currently. Treating a variant of rosacea requires special treatment above and beyond treatment for acne rosacea and its phenotypes. The focus of the treatment with regard to demodectic rosacea is to reduce the number of demodex mites which the evidence shows improves rosacea. That is what ivermectin does, as an anti-parasite or insecticide.

SD has traditionally been classified as a distinct skin condition/disease all on its own, however, there are medical authorities who say it is a variant of rosacea. The general consensus is that it can co-exist with rosacea. As mentioned previously, the theory is that it is caused by a fungus, and treatment with anti-fungal therapy improves SD in the majority of cases, but in some doesn't work at all. So the nail on the fungus theory has not closed the coffin on what causes SD quite yet. As with rosacea, SD may have variants, subtypes or phenotypes but so far no one has come up with any classifications 'further from the type' with SD. You may want to read about fungus and rosacea (scroll down to the subheading. Anti-Fungal Treatments [antimycotic medication] for a list of treatments).

I have not read that ivermectin treats fungus, but I may have missed something. Do you have any authoritative link on this? Ivermectin treats scabies, river blindness (Onchocerciasis), and other parasites, i.e., demodex mites.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by hart07 View Post
    hart07,
    Indeed. You have found something that has grabbed by attention. Particularly this quote:

"Compounding the problem of antimicrobial resistance is the immediate threat of a reduction in the discovery and development of new antibiotics, the dangers of which have recently been made clear by the World Health Organization (WHO) (Tacconelli et al., 2018) and other European institutions (O’Neill, 2016; Ĺrdal et al., 2018). Consequently, a perfect storm is converging with regard to these infections: increasing antimicrobial resistance with a decreased new drug development (O’Neill, 2016). This context is likely the best example of the purported “Post-Antibiotic Era,” with relevance even in non-specialized media (Bagley and Outterson, 2017). It is clear that effective solutions are urgently needed as stressed by various institutions."

My comment after a cursory reading is the authors continue to focus more on bacteria with some mention of fungus, following most clinical papers that ignore other microbes such as virus, which comprises more weight and abundance than any other life form on planet earth, as well as never mentioning archea, protozoa, helminths, demodex or any other microbes effecting the human microbiome. I realize that such an article that focuses on the entire human microbiome would be quite lengthy, however, continuing to focus mainly on bacteria and ignoring these other microbes, particularly virus, explains why we know less about virus than bacteria, less about fungus, less about the other microbes. And who would sponsor research on virus and rosacea, or fungus and rosacea? Could an independent, patient advocacy non profit organization for rosacea engage in sponsoring research? What if 10K members got together and each donated $1 and all unitedly sponsored some independent rosacea research on what the group decided? For example, the Reddit it group, /rosacea, who Jamoverton is a moderator of this Reddit private group that has 16K plus members, could easily donate each $1, less the cost of a good coffee at Starbucks, to sponsor such independent research for rosacea. It is not out of the question, but an incredible task to undertake. The one thing that the Reddit /rosacea group does agree upon is that they are a closed, private group that loves the NRS and AARS who are basically the only two non profit organizations engaging in any rosacea research at all. Jamoverton is also a member of RF and posts here as well. There was another non profit organization for rosacea that sponsored $16K US dollars to the NRS over fifteen years ago, the Rosacea Research Foundation, which was run by David Pascoe, the owner of RF. So it is not totally without precedent that rosaceans could come together and sponsor independent rosacea research. However, most rosaceans seem to love how the NRS and the AARS is doing in the non profit sector of the world with rosacea. I for one have been trying for years to change that direction. I feel we need to focus more on virus and rosacea and investigate if virus has anything to do with rosacea. For example, what if we sponsored a clinical study giving 100 rosaceans antiviral treatments with a double blind, clinically controlled, placebo controlled, peer-reviewed study on this subject? Wouldn't that be worth knowing? Or if the group wanted to focus instead on fungus? Or you let the status quo rosacea research continue to focus on bacteria. That is the direction it has been going for years and years. It is totally up to you, as a rosacean, whether you want to do anything about this or not.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 2nd June 2020 at 02:20 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

I understand you and I am agree.
    Study are too much oriented towards what they want ( nrs, aars)
    They study too much bacteria and not others way of life like fungus, virus, demodex and others.
    Think it would be the solution to donate 1 or 2or even more to finance a research group
    But big pharma would be angry.
    But why not try.
    But once we have enough money what would be the staff médical who will organise all?

We have a non profit organization for rosacea patient advocacy, the RRDi. It is setup legally by rosaceans. Rosaceans over fifteen years ago got together in the RRF and donated $16K to the NRS, which is a fact, showing that it can be done. And we could do it again if enough rosaceans got together to do it again. The RRDi has been trying to get rosaceans together to do research for over fifteen years, but instead they have gathered together in mass at Reddit r/rosacea (16K+ members) and in Facebook rosacea groups in the thousands and don't care much at all about sponsoring rosacea research.

There is the NRS and the AARS who are setup by NON rosaceans and they have their own agenda. All you do is follow the money (what do each of these non profit organizations spend the most money on [?] and if you actually investigate, it isn't rosacea research). Read what the NRS spends most of its money on, private contractors owned by a board member.

Read what the AARS spends most (80%) of its donations on which happens to be meetings for it prestigious members (conventions) and spends very little on rosacea research (4% in 2017) which the rest of the research expense was spent on acne research while less than a quarter of the research was on rosacea (remember what the first A in AARS stands for). Of these grants three were for ACNE and one was for "bioinformatics analysis of acne and rosacea transcriptomes" by Rivka C. Stone, MD, PhD. One quarter of the research grant money ($26,460) was spent on 'acne and rosacea' so half of that would be $13,730*

*Of the four research grants, three were for acne research and only one was for 'acne and rosacea.' So half of $26,460 is $13,730 which is technically what was spent on 'rosacea' research.

So, if rosaceans do nothing they will always have the NRS and AARS who will continue the status quo research which is primarily funded by donations from pharmaceutical companies. Both the NRS and the AARS are primarily funded by private pharmaceutical companies and have lots of money to continue the paltry rosacea research these two non profits sponsor each year.

You have choice. Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by hart07 View Post
    I understand you and I am agree.
    Study are too much oriented towards what they want ( nrs, aars)
    They study too much bacteria and not others way of life like fungus, virus, demodex and others.
    Think it would be the solution to donate 1 or 2or even more to finance a research group
    But big pharma would be angry.
    But why not try.
    But once we have enough money what would be the staff médical who will organise all?
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Zz cream is an anti Malassezia
    It would be good for SD or better to use soolantra (if soolantra is not an antifungal but anti demodex)
    I would like to fade and heal my red/pink patches areas on my forehead.
    Cause ketokenazole is not very successful and metronidazole working sometimes but not often now.
    Thks

On my pink/red patches on forehead I put metronidazole but nothing better.
    Then I tried to put ketokenazole cream during 15 days one time per day during the night but nothing
    Now the skin on this mink/red patches is smooth but always this color.
    It's located on the center of my forehead not so far from the hair line.
    How to reduce the color and heal this pink/red patches.
    Is it SD or is it acne rosacea?
    Think SD no?
    Don't want to irritate, better to change the azole cream or try perhaps lotrimin ultra?
    Or perhaps only moisturizer that don't feed Malassezia?
    Welcome your replies