Thread: Tea tree oil brands

Default Tea tree oil brands

Hello! Those of you who use tea tree oil to treat demodex/demodicosis, what brands do you use/what brands have you found most effective? I've been unsure of which one to get since there are a lot of synthetic/fake products out there.

Thank you!

If you type tea tree oil in the RF search box and spend about twenty minutes to an hour browsing the results you will find mention of TTO but rarely the brand. Beyond Fuji is one to consider. Full strength TTO is harsh on rosacea sensitive skin and most reports here at RF dilute TTO at least 50/50 with another oil, such as rosehip oil or whatever oil you can tolerate. There are a number of treatments, i.e. shampoo, cream, serum, that contain TTO and the RRDi has a number of these for your consideration.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 27th May 2020 at 02:22 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by soapbubbles1 View Post
    Hello! Those of you who use tea tree oil to treat demodex/demodicosis, what brands do you use/what brands have you found most effective? I've been unsure of which one to get since there are a lot of synthetic/fake products out there.

Thank you!
    If you want a pure tea tree oil, I have used the "NOW" brand of Tea Tree Oil that I purchased from Sprouts in the US. This is pure 100% tea tree oil. Desert Essence brand has both pure tea tree oil and premixed products containing tea tree oil.

Be careful to dilute pure tea tree oil at least 50% or more. Tea Tree Oil is too strong to use it pure. Too strong a mix of tea tree oil will irritate and burn your skin. Typically tea tree oil is diluted with a carrier oil like grape seed or castor oil. Put a minimum of 50% or more carrier oil to the tea tree oil if you plan to apply it directly to your skin. You can also add a few drops of the tea tree oil to another product prior to use. Test the mix carefully on skin prior to use to check for an unwanted chemical reaction. Most products like face washes contain about 5-10% tea tree oil at most.

Pure and even diluted Tea Tree oil has a distinctive odor. The intensity of the odor is similar to a very strong pine tree smell.

If you are looking for a pre-mixed tea tree oil facial wash there are a number of good ones available. I've used all of the following at one time.

Brands of Face Wash:
    The Body Shop - (the foaming face wash is back on Amazon)
    Desert Essence
    Tranquil Eyes Foaming Face wash by eye eco.

Desert Essence also makes a tea tree oil based ointment.

There are several brands of shampoo like Jason's with added Tea Tree oil. Or you can take a few drops of tea tree oil and add it to your favorite shampoo prior to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    If you want a pure tea tree oil, I have used the "NOW" brand of Tea Tree Oil that I purchased from Sprouts in the US. This is pure 100% tea tree oil. Desert Essence brand has both pure tea tree oil and premixed products containing tea tree oil.

Be careful to dilute pure tea tree oil at least 50% or more. Tea Tree Oil is too strong to use it pure. Too strong a mix of tea tree oil will irritate and burn your skin. Typically tea tree oil is diluted with a carrier oil like grape seed or castor oil. Put a minimum of 50% or more carrier oil to the tea tree oil if you plan to apply it directly to your skin. You can also add a few drops of the tea tree oil to another product prior to use. Test the mix carefully on skin prior to use to check for an unwanted chemical reaction. Most products like face washes contain about 5-10% tea tree oil at most.

Pure and even diluted Tea Tree oil has a distinctive odor. The intensity of the odor is similar to a very strong pine tree smell.

If you are looking for a pre-mixed tea tree oil facial wash there are a number of good ones available. I've used all of the following at one time.

Brands of Face Wash:
    The Body Shop - (the foaming face wash is back on Amazon)
    Desert Essence
    Tranquil Eyes Foaming Face wash by eye eco.

Desert Essence also makes a tea tree oil based ointment.

There are several brands of shampoo like Jason's with added Tea Tree oil. Or you can take a few drops of tea tree oil and add it to your favorite shampoo prior to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    If you type tea tree oil in the RF search box and spend about twenty minutes to an hour browsing the results you will find mention of TTO but rarely the brand. Beyond Fuji is one to consider. Full strength TTO is harsh on rosacea sensitive skin and most reports here at RF dilute TTO at least 50/50 with another oil, such as rosehip oil or whatever oil you can tolerate. There are a number of treatments, i.e. shampoo, cream, serum, that contain TTO and the RRDi has a number of these for your consideration.

Thank you for the replies and the tips! I found a brand called "Thursday plantation" which seems legit and is based in Australia (good sign since real tea tree oil only comes from the Melaleuca Alternifolia tree which is native to Australia -or rather: it is uncertain whether non-Australian TTO has the same effects as the original. I'm sure you two know that, but I'm just putting it out there in case someone who reads this isn't aware. I made the mistake of buying a supposed TTO whose oil wasn't sourced from there)... So I'll try that one first. If I'm not satisfied I will check out the ones you suggested. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by soapbubbles1 View Post
    Thank you for the replies and the tips! I found a brand called "Thursday plantation" which seems legit and is based in Australia (good sign since real tea tree oil only comes from the Melaleuca Alternifolia tree which is native to Australia -or rather: it is uncertain whether non-Australian TTO has the same effects as the original. I'm sure you two know that, but I'm just putting it out there in case someone who reads this isn't aware. I made the mistake of buying a supposed TTO whose oil wasn't sourced from there)... So I'll try that one first. If I'm not satisfied I will check out the ones you suggested. Thanks again!
    I used the one from Melaleuca.com which actually sells different concentrations and Ive always loved their products. Excellent quality. I mixed it with coconut oil while waiting for my ZZ cream to arrive and had major outbreaks (die-off) which I considered to be a good thing, but in retrospect there are definitely more gentler ways to go about it! TTO can be extremely irritating to skin. Now I only use it in shampoo and conditioner. Good luck!