Thread: Relaxing infront of mirror makes red cheeks almost neutral. Goes red soon again. Why?

Question Relaxing infront of mirror makes red cheeks almost neutral. Goes red soon again. Why?

Hi!

This is kinda a weird question/observation.

When i feel my cheeks are red/flushed and irritated and i go to check them out in a mirror and stand there for a while and just relaxing i can see the red color fade away.

But if i walk around for 10 seconds or doing something else. The redness come back. What can you make of this? Is the redness caused by my nervous system?

Neurologic flushing occurs in association with blushing. Read this article by Dr Amanda Oakley. Read this article for an in-depth deep dive into flushing.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by r0bbs View Post
    Hi!

This is kinda a weird question/observation.

When i feel my cheeks are red/flushed and irritated and i go to check them out in a mirror and stand there for a while and just relaxing i can see the red color fade away.

But if i walk around for 10 seconds or doing something else. The redness come back. What can you make of this? Is the redness caused by my nervous system?
    Hi there,

I have noticed exactly the same thing. My face in its resting state ( not flushing ) just looks very slightly rosy cheeked these days, most people would say I look healthy. But if I close my eyes and relax deeply for just a few seconds, then open my eyes and look in the mirror my face is a completely uniform pale colour.

If I’m having a mild flush and do the same thing, it also goes away...

But in both cases the original level of pinkness returns to my cheeks within a few seconds of opening my eyes.

I don’t know about you,but in my case I have to close my eyes for it to work, I’ve tried relaxing in just the same way with my eyes open but that has no effect.

I too have wondered about it and indeed have wished I could ask a doc or derm why it happens, And could it be some sort of ‘clue’ as to what’s going on..... but, in my experience, they are generally so disinterested - or at worst, they think I’m half-mad and imagining my symptoms, that I’ve never bothered.

Because I am also prone to minor flushes if I’m stressed and if I’m concentrating hard, I have wondered if some of my rosacea generally has been caused by stress... I did have a very stressful 10 year period at work (a narcissistic bully) which, mercifully ended two years ago and I often wonder if that contributed to my rosacea, which began in 2016. For me, the paleness that comes with moments of deep relaxation does lead me to wonder if I am still is a slightly hyper-vigilant state some of the time...

What about you, Robbs, do you think there is an element of stress associated with your rosacea?

All the best
    Fiona