Thread: Rosehip Oil significantly improving my type 1 rosacea

Default Rosehip Oil significantly improving my type 1 rosacea

Hello,
    Wanted to share that I have experienced tremendous alleviation of my type 1 rosacea by using rosehip oil. Let me make it clear that this hasn’t cured my rosacea, but has provided drastic improvement in my complexion (from significant redness to nearly no redness / only slightly pink pigmentation) and it’s preventing me from flushing no matter the situation/circumstance. I’ve been doing this now for over a week with continued success. My symptoms are flushing on my cheeks (I have dry skin) due to overly hot or cold environments, warm fluids (anything warm in temp such as hot coffee or soup), sun exposure, spicy foods (red pepper, even black pepper irritates my face), many food items (excess sugar, sulfites, red dyes, natural flavoring, preservatives, etc.), and emotional / stressful reaction (which is very important to work on your well-being regardless of having rosacea or not). I’ve had moderately severe rosacea for around 18 years with permanent redness and excessive flushing and I’ve had some instances of moderate success up until now. Believe me when I say I’ve tried nearly countless things in my pursuit for a cure but at best I would just experience moderate success, or temporary success with rebound flushing.

So here’s my solution:
    What I do is wash my face with cold water before bed (any type of face wash irritates my rosacea which I think is due to stripping away whatever is left of the skin barrier on my cheeks - so that’s why I only use water to wash my face). I then use between 1-2 drops of rosehip oil and rub it on both cheeks with my finger. That’s it. Just once a day. The next morning, I don’t use anything on my face if I’m not going outside that day. Nor do I wash off the oil the next morning (only prior to reapplying every evening). When I do go outside, I first apply some Aveeno baby daily moisture lotion (unscented/fragrance free), and then once that’s absorbed I use spf 50 sunscreen (I prefer sun bum broad spectrum spf 50). I’d suggest not to use rosehip oil before going outside - use it only at night before bed. I’d also suggest not to overdo it (just once a day and only a small amount is necessary). A little goes a long way. Also if you have oily skin, this solution may not help you. I have dry skin. I am not affiliated with any products that I am recommending. My only profit is to potentially help some of you.

Let me know if you find this solution helps. Good luck.

What brand? Or does it matter? Just any rosehip oil? I am assuming you mean type 1 (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea), the old subtype classification, correct? Have you heard about phenotypes?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 26th May 2020 at 12:58 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    What brand? Or does it matter? Just any rosehip oil? I am assuming you mean type 1 (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea), the old subtype classification, correct? Have you heard about phenotypes?
    Yes I am referring to ETR, the old subtype. This is based on my diagnosis from my dermatologist. The brand I use is Oliology Rosehip Oil. I couldn’t say if it matters which brand you use, but I would think it makes little to no difference. If a different brand isn’t helping, it could be worthwhile to try the brand that I’m using. I had not previously heard about phenotypes until now - is that just a classification of symptoms/characteristics? I would characterize my rosacea as baseline permanent redness with flushing / worsening due to multiple triggers.

No big deal, physicians aren't even keeping up with the phenotype classification since newbies come in frequently with a subtype diagnosis all the time. Most of the current clinical papers still refer to subtypes. It is difficult for physicians to keep up with rosacea updates and the latest news. You may find this post about why the phenotype classification is superior to the subtype classification helpful. Based upon your description you would have Phenotype 1 and 2. Thanks for learning which brand you use. Rosehip oil has been mentioned at RF for many, many years as one of the best moisturizers to use for dry skin (xeroderma). If you type in 'rosehip' into the RF search box there are numerous mentions of it in many, many threads. It is unusual that rosehip oil is the only treatment you are using for your rosacea and it works for you. Thanks for the tip. I remember you used to post a lot a while back and glad you came back to update us on your current regimen. Your last post was in July 2017 and you were thinking you had the same condition as TiredOfLivingLikeThis.

Quote Originally Posted by BVokey View Post
    Yes I am referring to ETR, the old subtype. This is based on my diagnosis from my dermatologist. The brand I use is Oliology Rosehip Oil. I couldn’t say if it matters which brand you use, but I would think it makes little to no difference. If a different brand isn’t helping, it could be worthwhile to try the brand that I’m using. I had not previously heard about phenotypes until now - is that just a classification of symptoms/characteristics? I would characterize my rosacea as baseline permanent redness with flushing / worsening due to multiple triggers.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 26th May 2020 at 03:18 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Is the full name of the oil you use called 'Oliology Rosehip Oil Collagen Facial Treatment. Does it contain any other ingredients, or just 100% rosehip oil?

Hello,
    Wanted to share that I have experienced tremendous alleviation of my type 1 rosacea by using rosehip oil. Let me make it clear that this hasn’t cured my rosacea, but has provided drastic improvement in my complexion (from significant redness to nearly no redness / only slightly pink pigmentation) and it’s preventing me from flushing no matter the situation/circumstance. I’ve been doing this now for over a week with continued success. My symptoms are flushing on my cheeks (I have dry skin) due to overly hot or cold environments, warm fluids (anything warm in temp such as hot coffee or soup), sun exposure, spicy foods (red pepper, even black pepper irritates my face), many food items (excess sugar, sulfites, red dyes, natural flavoring, preservatives, etc.), and emotional / stressful reaction (which is very important to work on your well-being regardless of having rosacea or not). I’ve had moderately severe rosacea for around 18 years with permanent redness and excessive flushing and I’ve had some instances of moderate success up until now. Believe me when I say I’ve tried nearly countless things in my pursuit for a cure but at best I would just experience moderate success, or temporary success with rebound flushing.

So here’s my solution:
    What I do is wash my face with cold water before bed (any type of face wash irritates my rosacea which I think is due to stripping away whatever is left of the skin barrier on my cheeks - so that’s why I only use water to wash my face). I then use between 1-2 drops of rosehip oil and rub it on both cheeks with my finger. That’s it. Just once a day. The next morning, I don’t use anything on my face if I’m not going outside that day. Nor do I wash off the oil the next morning (only prior to reapplying every evening). When I do go outside, I first apply some Aveeno baby daily moisture lotion (unscented/fragrance free), and then once that’s absorbed I use spf 50 sunscreen (I prefer sun bum broad spectrum spf 50). I’d suggest not to use rosehip oil before going outside - use it only at night before bed. I’d also suggest not to overdo it (just once a day and only a small amount is necessary). A little goes a long way. Also if you have oily skin, this solution may not help you. I have dry skin. I am not affiliated with any products that I am recommending. My only profit is to potentially help some of you.

Let me know if you find this solution helps. Good luck.
    Hello, how are you getting on with the rosehip oil? Any updates on your progress?

I tried this for roughly a month. No real impact for my type 1.