Thread: Rosacea Skin Temp (Covid-19 screenings)

Lightbulb Rosacea Skin Temp (Covid-19 screenings)

Hey guys, I've got a really interesting question that concerns us all that has yet to be addressed.

Many countries have been conducting temperature screenings for people entering spaces to ensure that they don't have a fever, which as we all know can be a first indication that they have Covid-19. This had me wondering if we need to be worried about generating false positives?! Because the infrared guns they use measure the surface temperature of the skin on our face and even if we're not in the middle of a flush I think the fact that our blood vessels are closer to the skin (and dilated) would make the temp higher than usual. It's really the worst way they could measure our body temperature... a proper thermometer in the mouth or ear would eliminate the issue but isn't used because of the danger of transmitting the virus.

So should we be concerned that we might be asked to leave events or even an airport due to our rosacea? (Perhaps I'm overthinking it and rosacea doesn't elevate our temperature enough to mimic a fever or that the personnel measuring us will take our rosacea into account.)

P.S. If anyone on this site with rosacea has their own infrared thermometer could you please try it out? Maybe compare it with a regular thermometer's estimate.

I've been wondering the same thing.

My face can generate a lot of heat during a flush.

I have a medical appointment in a couple of weeks and plan on asking this question.

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone here who happens to have an infrared thermometer.

Meanwhile I don't believe health officials in general, or anyone stationed at a post outside a building etc, will have a clue about flushing specifics as a disorder.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistica View Post
    Meanwhile I don't believe health officials in general, or anyone stationed at a post outside a building etc, will have a clue about flushing specifics as a disorder.
    That's my fear because they'd link a moderately higher temperature with any visible redness as evidence of an oncoming fever.

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    That's my fear because they'd link a moderately higher temperature with any visible redness as evidence of an oncoming fever.
    I do take anti-flushing medications which may impact my flushing area temperatures but when my ears were somewhat flushed, they were actually shown to be colder than the rest of my body using thermal imaging technology! This was in an erythromelalgia clinic where they do quite sophisticated testing for heat in your potential flushing areas (e.g. feet, hands, face).

My forehead therm readings do say "fever" even when I am not actively flushed. Maybe ~100? When I go to doc appts now though I have never gotten a temp reading, just a couple questions about travel and any recent covid symptoms. I know some people are getting doctor's notes to not wear masks because their facial heat/pain is too severe. Maybe you could have a doctor's note saying you have a flushing/heat problem and your normal reading is such and such degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    My forehead therm readings do say "fever" even when I am not actively flushed. Maybe ~100? When I go to doc appts now though I have never gotten a temp reading, just a couple questions about travel and any recent covid symptoms. I know some people are getting doctor's notes to not wear masks because their facial heat/pain is too severe. Maybe you could have a doctor's note saying you have a flushing/heat problem and your normal reading is such and such degrees.
    I agree with you - the masks are not going to be suitable to wear for some people with flushing problems.

My temp was taking 3 times yesterday at one of the biggest hospitals we have, not even an eye brow raised.

My wife was the one having a procedure done, when she was checked (10 mins after the first check) she was worried because we had walked a distance and she had raised a sweat. The nurse told her the temp test is your core not your exterior surface temp.

Otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in lol.

So unless other countries are using different thermo's, it should be a core temp reading !

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I do take anti-flushing medications which may impact my flushing area temperatures but when my ears were somewhat flushed, they were actually shown to be colder than the rest of my body using thermal imaging technology! This was in an erythromelalgia clinic where they do quite sophisticated testing for heat in your potential flushing areas (e.g. feet, hands, face).
    That's strange. I also experience my ears getting warm to the touch when flushing so it must be how it measures the heat radiating away from the skin that makes it 'colder'. I.e. flushing -> greater heat loss/time -> lower estimated temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I was wearing a surgical mask the other day and imo it didn't feel like it was heating up the uncovered parts of my face, such as my cheeks, temples and forehead. But I do get why the heat from trapped breath for example would affect many people. It's rather uncomfortable to say the least. Your fever readings have me worried though. :o

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherman View Post
    My temp was taking 3 times yesterday at one of the biggest hospitals we have, not even an eye brow raised. So unless other countries are using different thermo's, it should be a core temp reading !
    Ah, finally some hopeful news!

Thanks for sharing everyone.
    Last edited by BraceYourself; 21st May 2020 at 10:46 PM.

Hey - recently went somewhere that did use forehead therm scan. I was fine. I was wearing a face mask and it was in the 90's. Granted, I'm doing much better with heat generally due to some medications. Maybe have some frozen water bottles with you, one to drink, one to roll on your forehead just prior