Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: HELP for preventing or minimising post-food FLUSHING

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    135
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by since2000 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I'm 36 and I've had a combination of Rosacea and Seborrheic Dermatitis on the T-Zone for 20 years now which mainly manifests as Chronic redness, Dryness, Seborrhea, Acne and Flushing.

    I have countless triggers but one trigger which has caused me absolute hell for the last 8 months is my flushing to food.

    Basically, whenever I eat pretty much any food my face goes boiling and painfully hot all over and incredibly red, blotchy and inflamed. It takes around 2-3 hours before this subsides back to my baseline.

    Right now, this pretty much happens with anything I eat, with the exception of a selection of cold fruits, vegetables and salad.

    Some foods make the flush worse than others. Hot food much worse than cold. Meats, especially red meat much worse than white meat, which is much worse than fish. I have many years ago cut out the worst rosacea food triggers like tomato, chilli, alcohol etc so those are not even in the equation any more.

    If anyone has any tips on what I can do to try and stop or minimise these flushes it would be great to know. Several years I suffered from the same for about 4 or 5 years - during which time I was virtually a hobbit - but after seeing a dietician and going gluten free, carb restricted, taking supplements, supporting the gut etc, slowly the extreme food flushing subsided.

    Unfortunately it has started again despite me maintaining this diet.

    As an FYI my current medication is Minocycline and Citalopram plus Soolantra cream. For the last 3 months I have also been seeing an Acupuncturist (until the lockdown) and been taking CHinese herbal medicine designed to try and help with this. So far it hasn't but I'm told it can take up to 6 months to help.

    Any help would be appreciated. Really at the end of my wits now.

    Thanks

    Carl
    i have had very similar food flushing to you , hot food is a lot worse than cold and i flush for about 4 hours ...

    do you have any stomach problems ? my flushing , redness and SD started about 4 years ago when i got stomach ulcers - these went undiagnosed for 3.5 years (which im still mad about) so i continued to suffer . they have healed now after a long course of lansoprazole and my SD is gone , food flushing is reducing slowly but i still have a lot of redness on my cheeks and forehead .

    i strongly suspect that i have food intolerances now due to the ulcers , after all ulcers are basically holes in your stomach lining so stuff will get through that shouldnt !

    i think my immune system is now hyper sensitive to practically any food and is causing inflammation throughout my body - ive tested this theory by taking prednisone and it works really well - my facial redness goes down about 80 % and i can tolerate food a lot more , instead of a huge red flush i might get a little red patch or a tingle for a few minutes ...

    anyway , just something you might want to check out

    cheers

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by since2000 View Post
    Thank you Antwantsclear. Sounds interesting re: Integrative Therapeutics Similase GFCF ... does it only help with regards to Gluten and Dairy or does it also help with (all) other foods too? And how do you find it helps? Does it specifically help with flushing to food? Or just your Rosacea in general?

    And Thanks Brady also for your words and kind help again. I've registered on RRDI - just waiting for the email to be received so I can complete it.
    It helps with gluten, dairy and potatoes. I think cutting out all wheat is still a good idea though. I find oats and potatoes are better tolerated for example when using the supplement. I take the supplement before all foods and it seems to help quite a lot.

  3. #13
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    653
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    i have had very similar food flushing to you , hot food is a lot worse than cold and i flush for about 4 hours ...

    do you have any stomach problems ? my flushing , redness and SD started about 4 years ago when i got stomach ulcers - these went undiagnosed for 3.5 years (which im still mad about) so i continued to suffer . they have healed now after a long course of lansoprazole and my SD is gone , food flushing is reducing slowly but i still have a lot of redness on my cheeks and forehead .

    i strongly suspect that i have food intolerances now due to the ulcers , after all ulcers are basically holes in your stomach lining so stuff will get through that shouldnt !

    i think my immune system is now hyper sensitive to practically any food and is causing inflammation throughout my body - ive tested this theory by taking prednisone and it works really well - my facial redness goes down about 80 % and i can tolerate food a lot more , instead of a huge red flush i might get a little red patch or a tingle for a few minutes ...

    anyway , just something you might want to check out

    cheers
    I agree, post-flood flushing sounds inflammation-driven.

    There was a recent case study of low dose naltrexone helping a case of erythromelalgia (painful flushing on feet). The theory was that it stabilizes the mast cells and is an immune-modulator. It has minimal side effects (although it made me worse, i suppose anything can make someone worse!). All bloodwork was fine, except for a lot of mast cells in her intestine.

    Another case study of it helping someone's POTS / SIBO / Masto (including symptoms of flushing) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5778345/

    There are so many non-steroidal immune drugs out there that people can take indefinitely that I didn't realize before. Might be worth going to a rheum, allergist, or derm to discuss if there are any options for you. Just to keep in mind, there is a phenomenon called steroid-induced rosacea and steroids can cause flushing as side effect so it's esp. interesting that they help you.

    (my post not meant for you specifically, but for OP too)

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    135
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I agree, post-flood flushing sounds inflammation-driven.

    There was a recent case study of low dose naltrexone helping a case of erythromelalgia (painful flushing on feet). The theory was that it stabilizes the mast cells and is an immune-modulator. It has minimal side effects (although it made me worse, i suppose anything can make someone worse!). All bloodwork was fine, except for a lot of mast cells in her intestine.

    Another case study of it helping someone's POTS / SIBO / Masto (including symptoms of flushing) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5778345/

    There are so many non-steroidal immune drugs out there that people can take indefinitely that I didn't realize before. Might be worth going to a rheum, allergist, or derm to discuss if there are any options for you. Just to keep in mind, there is a phenomenon called steroid-induced rosacea and steroids can cause flushing as side effect so it's esp. interesting that they help you.

    (my post not meant for you specifically, but for OP too)
    hi , ive tried LDN before and didnt feel it helped but maybe i didnt give it long enough (3 month )

    which non-steroidal immune drugs do you know of ? the main ones i know are aspirin and ibuprofen but these can both harm the stomach lining and possibly are the cause of my ulcers - i used to take a LOT of both !

    hopefully will soon be getting a specialist appointment through my doctor when the covid crisis is over

    i always assumed steroid-induced rosacea was caused by the topical cream not the tablets ?

    thanks laser cat

  5. #15
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    which non-steroidal immune drugs do you know of ? the main ones i know are aspirin and ibuprofen but these can both harm the stomach lining and possibly are the cause of my ulcers - i used to take a LOT of both !
    hopefully will soon be getting a specialist appointment through my doctor when the covid crisis is over i always assumed steroid-induced rosacea was caused by the topical cream not the tablets ?
    thanks laser cat
    Short term oral steroids are amazing for rosacea, since I had to take a nine day course for an allergic reaction to mango oil and it cleared my rosacea! I wrote about this a while ago. If one has to be clear for a wedding or special event, I would recommend prednisone over Mirvaso to clear up rosacea but you have to take it about a week before the event. Long term steroid treatment is a disaster for rosacea and is usually the result of long term topical steroid treatment. I don't think you mean 'non-steroidal immune drugs' but NSAID [Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs], correct? Post on NSAIDs. There are anti-inflammatory treatments for rosacea which include NSAIDs as well as others.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 21st May 2020 at 07:02 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi



  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    i have had very similar food flushing to you , hot food is a lot worse than cold and i flush for about 4 hours ...

    do you have any stomach problems ? my flushing , redness and SD started about 4 years ago when i got stomach ulcers - these went undiagnosed for 3.5 years (which im still mad about) so i continued to suffer . they have healed now after a long course of lansoprazole and my SD is gone , food flushing is reducing slowly but i still have a lot of redness on my cheeks and forehead .

    i strongly suspect that i have food intolerances now due to the ulcers , after all ulcers are basically holes in your stomach lining so stuff will get through that shouldnt !

    i think my immune system is now hyper sensitive to practically any food and is causing inflammation throughout my body - ive tested this theory by taking prednisone and it works really well - my facial redness goes down about 80 % and i can tolerate food a lot more , instead of a huge red flush i might get a little red patch or a tingle for a few minutes ...

    anyway , just something you might want to check out

    cheers
    Hi Boris

    Sorry to hear you have similar problems

    Yes I find hot food much worse than cold food also. I also find meat (red meat especially) much worse than fish. Cold fruit and vegetables I can handle pretty okay.

    Do I have stomach problems? I have none that cause me any other problems. I go to the toilet fine, I don't get stomach aches etc.

    However, when I suffered from a similar flushing problem from 2014 to 2016, I underwent some (very expensive) tests in Harley Street, London which deted I had H Pylori, as well as bacteria in the Large and Small intestine. I was put on a big round of supplements, which didn't really help but eventually the flushing pretty much stopped after I went on a strict diet in 2016.

    So I had a H Pylori test again this Monday through my GP and am currently awaiting results. My dermatologist sent me for the test, she said that sometimes when you stop and then restart antibiotics, it can cause H Pylori and bacteria to return in your stomach.

    So we shall see

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    It helps with gluten, dairy and potatoes. I think cutting out all wheat is still a good idea though. I find oats and potatoes are better tolerated for example when using the supplement. I take the supplement before all foods and it seems to help quite a lot.
    Okay thanks mate.

    Hoping to find something I can take to minimise or stop the flushing from meats. If I can eat meat I can at least kind of function given I already eliminate Gluten, Dairy and am extremely carb-restricted!

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    135
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Short term oral steroids are amazing for rosacea, since I had to take a nine day course for an allergic reaction to mango oil and it cleared my rosacea! I wrote about this a while ago. If one has to be clear for a wedding or special event, I would recommend prednisone over Mirvaso to clear up rosacea but you have to take it about a week before the event. Long term steroid treatment is a disaster for rosacea and is usually the result of long term topical treatment. I don't think you mean 'non-steroidal immune drugs' but NSAID [Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs], correct? Post on NSAIDs. There are anti-inflammatory treatments for rosacea which include NSAIDs as well as others.
    yes brady , thats what i meant , thanks for pointing out my mistake - it was your post on prednisone that inspired me to try it actually !

    i only take 30 mg on the days that i work - i find it takes about 3 hours to kick in then lasts about about 8 hours ... ive been known to then take a second dose after if i have plans for the night ...

    i first started testing it about 3 month ago and ive not taken for more than 4 days in a row so far , so im certain that it isnt the cause of my redness / flushing

    cheers

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Has anyone ever tried taking a fiber supplement just before eating food to help with flushing? And if so, did it help?

    I came across the below article which recommended Inulin, Methylcellulose, Psyllium or Wheat Dextrin

    https://*******.com/rosacea/rosacea-...important-tip/

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    135
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by since2000 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried taking a fiber supplement just before eating food to help with flushing? And if so, did it help?

    I came across the below article which recommended Inulin, Methylcellulose, Psyllium or Wheat Dextrin

    https://*******.com/rosacea/rosacea-...important-tip/
    yup , tried them and they do work - mainly by lining you stomach and guts to stop anything irritating them or being absorbed ... think they are mainly used for weight loss ?

Similar Threads

  1. Flushing after eating hot food (temperature)
    By RosyRedGirl in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th May 2014, 03:26 AM
  2. Tips on preventing facial flushing while drinking
    By mimosh in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th October 2013, 09:04 AM
  3. HELP What food caused my flushing?
    By ohsowell07 in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 29th April 2010, 09:49 PM
  4. Food and flushing
    By bernmee in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th August 2008, 08:28 AM
  5. Flushing days after eating trigger food ?
    By Clara in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th February 2006, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •