Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Which laser for redness and some broken capillaries? Is cutera an IPL?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1

    Default Which laser for redness and some broken capillaries? Is cutera an IPL?

    I have redness and some broken capillaries, I flush easily which I hate. I love it when I wake up pale.. Which laser is the best and is there any that doesn't work at all? Some of the options are: 1. Alma Harmony DyeVl 2. Alma Harmony® Nd:Yag 1064 NM 3. Nd:Yag Fotona – Dualis XP Plus 4. CUTERA EXCEL V
    Are these all IPLs? I was so happy that they're real lasers, not IPLs but not I'm bummed. Are they all the same? Is one better than others?
    Btw, what happens if I do the laser 2-3 weeks spaced apart? Will I get burned or will they not be effective?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    331
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by red1990 View Post
    I have redness and some broken capillaries, I flush easily which I hate. I love it when I wake up pale.. Which laser is the best and is there any that doesn't work at all? Some of the options are: 1. Alma Harmony DyeVl 2. Alma Harmony® Nd:Yag 1064 NM 3. Nd:Yag Fotona – Dualis XP Plus 4. CUTERA EXCEL V
    Are these all IPLs? I was so happy that they're real lasers, not IPLs but not I'm bummed. Are they all the same? Is one better than others?
    Btw, what happens if I do the laser 2-3 weeks spaced apart? Will I get burned or will they not be effective?
    Before you go for laser, are you using any topicals?

    You could try Niacinamide for three months or so, as this strengthens the skin barrier and helps retain moisture.

    I think those lasers you listed are vascular lasers, in that they use one particular wavelength to target vessels without causing damage to other tissue.

    I've had PDL aka Vbeam with some success in the past. My last treatment was on November 15th but I never really recovered from it - in fact, I had what looks like permament baseline redness in all the areas the laser hit.

    I've also had an IPL in the past (November '18) which is a broadband light treatment and not strictly considered "laser". I felt my treatment helped as when I healed I had speckles of pale skin all over my face, meaning some of the diffuse redness was subtracted after about 3 weeks of healing/recovery.

    The Cutera Excel V is something I may look into as although it's a shorter wavelength at 532nm (whereas Vbeam is 595nm and gets deeper down) there's much less downtime.

    See if you can exhaust other options for now. No one's going anywhere because of lock down, so look up The Ordinary and consider buying some of the products. Hyaluronic Acid is very hydrating but you will need to watch videos about these products from some of the dermatologists on YouTube like Dr Davin Lim, Dr Sam Bunting and Dr Dray.
    Last edited by darren1; 19th July 2020 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.



    T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

  3. #3
    Senior Member ladycappuccino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by red1990 View Post
    I have redness and some broken capillaries, I flush easily which I hate. I love it when I wake up pale.. Which laser is the best and is there any that doesn't work at all? Some of the options are: 1. Alma Harmony DyeVl 2. Alma Harmony® Nd:Yag 1064 NM 3. Nd:Yag Fotona – Dualis XP Plus 4. CUTERA EXCEL V
    Are these all IPLs? I was so happy that they're real lasers, not IPLs but not I'm bummed. Are they all the same? Is one better than others?
    Btw, what happens if I do the laser 2-3 weeks spaced apart? Will I get burned or will they not be effective?
    Hi,
    Alma Harmony DyeVL is a narrow band IPL, which operates within 500-600 nm. I was treated with it once and obtained very good results. I would stay clear from Yag as the risks are too important. Cutera Excel is a vascular laser and has less side effects, but these can always occur, please bear it in mind.

    If your only problem is flushing, then I would opt for a red light therapy. It knocked off my flushinh, made it practically non existent.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    25
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    hi can i ask what red light therpy you use? i flush pretty badly baseline redness etc. tried 3 ndyag laser with bruising which did nothing bar make my skin more sensitive and leave my skin patchy. ive just tried one ipl but have to wait for more due to the virus. Thank you!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member ladycappuccino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeychaps123 View Post
    hi can i ask what red light therpy you use? i flush pretty badly baseline redness etc. tried 3 ndyag laser with bruising which did nothing bar make my skin more sensitive and leave my skin patchy. ive just tried one ipl but have to wait for more due to the virus. Thank you!!
    I use this one: https://redlightman.com/product/red-mini-670/.
    I have been using it for several years now. I did not use to flush enormously, only slightly, but still it was a huge problem for me. Right now I do not flush at all and I attribute it entirely to RLT. It calms my skin and acts as an anti-inflammattory.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    331
    Country: UK

    Default

    For you flushers as well as red faced folks, comsider Azelaic Acid. I'm currently working back up to using it daily at 20% strength (Skinoren) which I was doing before my last treatment. I stopped it while I healed from My November PDL.

    I've only recently started on the AA using twice weekly for a month. The hope is to eliminate some of the post inflamatory erythema (PIE) caused by the PDL. AA can do a lot for many symptoms involving redness, inclusing helping the skin be less reactive to the elements.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.



    T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    9
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    Before you go for laser, are you using any topicals?

    You could try Niacinamide for three months or so, as this strengthens the skin barrier and helps retain moisture.

    I think those lasers you listed are vascular lasers, in that they use one particular wavelength to target vessels without causing damage to other tissue.

    I've had PDL aka Vbeam with some success in the past. My last treatment was on November 15th but I never really recovered from it - in fact, I had what looks like permament baseline redness in all the areas the laser hit.

    I've also had an IPL in the past (November '18) which is a broadband light treatment and not strictly considered "laser". I felt my treatment helped as when I healed I had speckles of pale skin all over my face, meaning some of the diffuse redness was subtracted after about 3 weeks of healing/recovery.

    The Cutera Excel V is something I may look into as although it's a shorter wavelength at 532nm (whereas Vbeam is 595nm and gets deeper down) there's much less downtime.

    See if you can exhaust other options for now. No one's going anywhere because of lock down, so look up The Ordinary and consider buying some of the products. Hyaluronic Acid is very hydrating but you will need to watch videos about these products from some of the dermatologists on YouTube like Dr Davin Lim, Dr Sam Bunting and Dr Davin Lim.
    Hi Darren

    When you say you never really recovered from your Vbeam, what do you mean? How was your last session different to your previous 2? Has the Vbeam caused a worsening of your baseline?

    I'm curious because I'm about to start having Vbeam the week after next. I've had a patch test and the bruising healed up pretty quickly, however 3 weeks after the test there is still some diffused redness. There always was diffused redness in that area however I'm convinced its worse now than it was pre patch testing. I really don't want to go have my entire face done if there is a chance it will make my baseline worse?

    Any information you can provide will with regards to your experience with the 3 treatments will be much appreciated. Are you now saying that the Vbeams you've had weren't worth it? Or even to the determent of your recovery?

    Thanks in advance

    Antony
    Last edited by arcuri; 17th July 2020 at 12:14 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    331
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arcuri View Post
    Hi Darren

    When you say you never really recovered from your Vbeam, what do you mean? How was your last session different to your previous 2? Has the Vbeam caused a worsening of your baseline?

    I'm curious because I'm about to start having Vbeam the week after next. I've had a patch test and the bruising healed up pretty quickly, however 3 weeks after the test there is still some diffused redness. There always was diffused redness in that area however I'm convinced its worse now than it was pre patch testing. I really don't want to go have my entire face done if there is a chance it will make my baseline worse?

    Any information you can provide will with regards to your experience with the 3 treatments will be much appreciated. Are you now saying that the Vbeams you've had weren't worth it? Or even to the determent of your recovery?

    Thanks in advance

    Antony
    Ok, so it's been 7 months since I had PDL. It was my third full-face treatment. I am WORSE at baseline now. However, it could continue to fade.

    About 8 weeks post-treatment, I had a horrible contact dermatitis reaction to a moisturiser. My face flushed red for an hour and burned hot. When the flush subsided, I was worse looking, as well as the fact I was still covered in red bruising from the laser.

    It can take several weeks to heal from PDL/vBeam but it's been 7 MONTHS for me. Of course, this is PIE (post-inflammatory erythema) which is the same kind of redness that gets left behind after acne and can take a minimum of 12 months to heal... so I'm now treating it as though it is that and am starting up Azelaic Acid again, which I will be using every day for at least 3 months, with yellow LED light therapy in between (bought a machine on Amazon for that).

    It's possible I'm going to end up having a test patch for either IPL or KTP laser and see if it makes any difference to the parts that look worse... assuming things don't get better with AA and yellow LED.

    I really don't know if I'm still healing or if the last vBeam was just a bad one. I had absolutely no idea anything like this would happen and have been more than patient by giving it time. That's what all doctors say as a get out clause: "give it time".

    I've been trying to repair my skin since 2017 when I used Mirvaso twice, hence all this.
    Last edited by darren1; 19th July 2020 at 06:40 PM.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.



    T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    207
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    Ok, so it's been 7 months since I had PDL. It was my third full-face treatment. I am WORSE at baseline now. However, it could continue to fade.

    About 8 weeks post-treatment, I had a horrible contact dermatitis reaction to a moisturiser. My face flushed red for an hour and burned hot. When the flush subsided, I was worse looking, as well as the fact I was still covered in red bruising from the laser.

    It can take several weeks to heal from PDL/vBeam but it's been 7 MONTHS for me. Of course, this is PIE (post-inflammatory erythema) which is the same kind of redness that gets left behind after acne and can take a minimum of 12 months to heal... so I'm now treating it as though it is that and am starting up Azelaic Acid again, which I will be using every day for at least 3 months, with yellow LED light therapy in between (bought a machine on Amazon for that).

    It's possible I'm going to end up having a test patch for either IPL or KTP laser and see if it makes any difference to the parts that look worse... assuming things don't get better with AA and yellow LED.

    I really don't know if I'm still healing or if the last vBeam was just a bad one. I had absolutely no idea anything like this would happen and have been more than patient by giving it time. That's what all doctors say as a get out clause: "give it time".

    I've been trying to repair my skin since 2017 when I used Mirvaso twice, hence all this.
    I don't know if the product would help you but it might. Alastin Skin Nector is a peptide based treatment that helps you heal much faster after IPL and Laser procedures. It helped me heal up much faster after 3 ablative erbium laser resurfacing procedures. Use it for one week before and one week after a procedure. It is pricey at $200 per bottle. It worked for me - I was only lightly pink after 3 days instead of being bright pink as most people are at that point. I used both the Alastin Skin Nectar and the Alastin moisturizer without any bad reactions.

    https://www.alastin.com/collections/...ng-skin-nectar

Similar Threads

  1. Dermaroller for redness/broken capillaries?
    By Mirea in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 18th February 2019, 01:50 AM
  2. Protopic Caused Broken Capillaries? + Getting New Broken Capillaries Every Few Weeks
    By doesitgetbetter? in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th November 2016, 07:31 PM
  3. Only the redness and broken capillaries doesnt respond to anything!
    By Thyme in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16th May 2012, 10:18 AM
  4. Way to prevent perm redness or broken capillaries?
    By tp912 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th June 2009, 10:39 PM
  5. Broken capillaries caused by IPL?
    By Kats in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th November 2007, 11:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •