Thread: During and Post Accutane Flushing. Where do i go from here

Default During and Post Accutane Flushing. Where do i go from here

I completed my second 5 month course (20mg/day) of accutane and experienced seriously intense flushing constantly during the course (yes, i now regret not getting off the drug). But my term told me once i stopped it would all go away, so i believed him. However, i am now 8 months post accutane and the redness and flushing has not decreased in the slightest.

After having severe cystic acne for 5 years, going on accutane twice, only for my acne to keep coming back I am now left with constant redness and flushing that occurs every day. This has caused me to develop social anxiety as my flushing is at its worst when I am in social scene and I can feel my heart pumping through my chest. I have had 3 expensive treatments of IPL with no ****ing improvement. Do you think this is rosacea?

This may sound dramatic but i honestly just feel mentally beaten and drained. Every day for 7 years, it has ruined my youth. Has anyone experienced post accutane flushing and how did you get rid of it (if you did). Where do i even go from here?

The usual formula for low dose isotretinoin is a "dosage range of 0.5 to 1mg/kg/day." [1]

Typically this would be .3 mg/kg/day. Another report states, "Very low-dose isotretinoin (e.g., 10–20 mg once to five times a week, equivalent to 5 mg/day) is an effective treatment for mild to moderate papulopustular rosacea and is well tolerated." [2]

So you were taking high dose isotretinoin.

Even so, some who rave about taking low dose isotretinoin later regret this after they develop accutane induced rosacea, just as you have described, but most who complain were taking higher doses as you have been.

I will take this as a project and post a list of treatments for accutane induced rosacea.

There are a number of anecdotal reports of isotretinoin induced rosacea that sometimes include what the sufferer of isotretinoin induced rosacea did to alleviate the issue. I haven't taken the time to collect such a list of treatments for this issue.

Thanks for the subject to write about.

You might start by typing in the search box about those who have this condition and read threads on this subject in RF. Hopefully you may find some. It takes hours to do this type of investigation but it would be helpful if you posted what results you find in this thread as I will post my results in my project post on this which obviously is a work in progress.

End Notes

[1] J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2011 Sep; 4(9): 54–61.Use of Oral Isotretinoin in the Management of Rosacea
    Hyunhee Park, DO and James Q. Del Rosso, DO, FAOCD

[2]Australasian Journal of Dermatology, DOI: 10.1111/ajd.12522
    Very low-dose isotretinoin in mild to moderate papulopustular rosacea; a retrospective review of 52 patients
    Marius Rademaker, DM.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 30th April 2020 at 12:33 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thankyou very much for your reply. I will continue to research.

Default improvements?

any improvements?