Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zz cream - large bumps?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyTeacher View Post
    Update: because of the dryness and flakiness of my skin I started applying moisturizer during the day and a few dots of zz on top. I still apply it on its own at night but always wake with flakes in the morning.
    I’ve been getting p&p still but they resolve quickly for the most part. Last night when I washed my face I noticed I had many more individual spots spread all over including what I would call my recurring areas like my temples and a spot on my forehead. I always have tiny pin point whiteheads on my jawline.
    Not sure if this is par for the course or something else has changed.
    I know I’m still within the 1st month and am hoping this is expected.
    My skin is still oily during the day and when I wake up in the morning.
    Tiny pinpoint whiteheads are generally from die-off, as there is a chemical which is released when this occurs. More red spots also equals more die off, which is right on target for your 3 week mark. You will also probably notice a similar reaction around the 6 week mark. Please continue to keep us updated!

Default 12 weeks

I’ve been trying to stay positive but I am getting tiny whiteheads daily. Not many but they could pop up anywhere and be gone the next day.

I’m now getting regular acne on my jaw and lower cheek area. I’m surprised the zz cream isn’t doing anything for that. Mostly skin coloured bumps that don’t last long but there is texture there.

Still very flaky in the morning.

A plus - my skin feels soft. BUT I only touch it when I’m washing my face!

I started taking lutein but it wasn’t a miracle for me.

I’ve asked my derm to test for mites but she said she doesn’t do that!

Can anyone speak to these results?

Treating Rosacea and/or acne is a two part process.

You have to address not only the localised issues, ie, the skin, where you may have a proliferation of demoxdex and abnormal communities of flora (bacteria), but also your gut.

There is currently a major focus on demodex being the sole cause of P&P's on the face, but that simply isn't true.
    Rosacea has always had a gut component.

Abnormal gut flora, and possibly SIBO (highly likely).
    There are many threads on diet here, so you can search the archives, but in a nut shell, significantly reducing starchy carbs, PUFAS and practising intermittent fasting forms the backbone of therapeutic dietary interventions.

The addition of certain supplements can be helpful.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

I’ve been trying to stay positive but I am getting tiny whiteheads daily. Not many but they could pop up anywhere and be gone the next day.
    I’m now getting regular acne on my jaw and lower cheek area. I’m surprised the zz cream isn’t doing anything for that. Mostly skin coloured bumps that don’t last long but there is texture there.
    Still very flaky in the morning.
    A plus - my skin feels soft. BUT I only touch it when I’m washing my face!
    I started taking lutein but it wasn’t a miracle for me.
    I’ve asked my derm to test for mites but she said she doesn’t do that!
    Can anyone speak to these results?
    Mistica does make a point. What are you eating? What is your typical diet each day for a week? Are you eating high carbohydrate?

As to your dermatologist not testing for mites, you may want to read this post. She obviously doesn't take mites seriously.

A simple method to control rosacea is two fold, as Mistica points out.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Default Diet and topicals

I do understand that the outside is a reflection of the inside.
    I eat very well, tons of fibre, fresh fruits and vegetables, protein, good quality carbs and lots of water. I take probiotics, digestive enzymes, supplements and sleep well.
    I have been trying to gain some weight and cutting carbs completely is not going to work, nor has it fixed anything in the past.
    I really do not have any digestive symptoms. I would think that SIBO would cause some sort of reaction in the gut first. My last bloodwork showed my B12, D levels were great.

To me there is something missing.
    Drying out my skin by night and then trying to add moisture by day is why I think the regular acne is coming now.

Are there any other obvious things I am missing?

I do understand that the outside is a reflection of the inside.
    I eat very well, tons of fibre, fresh fruits and vegetables, protein, good quality carbs and lots of water. I take probiotics, digestive enzymes, supplements and sleep well.
    I have been trying to gain some weight and cutting carbs completely is not going to work, nor has it fixed anything in the past.
    I really do not have any digestive symptoms. I would think that SIBO would cause some sort of reaction in the gut first. My last bloodwork showed my B12, D levels were great.

To me there is something missing.
    Drying out my skin by night and then trying to add moisture by day is why I think the regular acne is coming now.

Are there any other obvious things I am missing?
    According to demodexsolutions.com, there are two types of mites. One takes 3 months to clear, the other takes 4 months. I do know two people personally who did not see complete clearance until the 5th month of nightly ZZ cream so this seems to make sense. I know it's frustrating to continue with a treatment that has no guarantee, however if you are seeing progress at all you might want to see it through. Please continue to keep us posted on your journey.