Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red nose flusher journey

Default Red nose flusher journey

I am just posting the start of this thread to document my journey for those who share the same symptoms as me. I found other posts like this helpful but the symptoms weren't exactly the same, or it was the same but wasn't updated so I will start another to help others.

My symptom is nose flushing. I do not have pimples or postules, but I do have some spider veins developing. I have a persistent baseline redness on my nose and upper cheeks. I've had rosacea for around five years and have been using metronidazole topical two times a day since two years ago. I don't think it improved my symptoms but I can say that it hasn't gotten worse since I started it. I don't know if this is worth noting but I have dry skin, but my T zone (where my rosacea symptoms are ) is very oily.

(I might have neurogenic rosacea but am not sure yet, I do have undiagnosed Erythromelalgia)

Triggers: initially just indoor heat. Now flushing happens at night regardless of what temperature it is (always indoors)

Since joining this forum I have read about many different treatments. I decided to start with the first line of treatment recommended here using zz cream. Since it is delayed shipment because of the virus I started Claritin as suggested in these posts to see if it helps nose flushers. It is day 10 and 2 days ago I noticed I stopped flushing at night. Baseline redness still there.
    Will continue to keep you all posted.

Following

Keep us updated. I am struggling with the same problem as yours.
    Last edited by SaySomething; 28th April 2020 at 10:46 AM.

Hi all I have no update on zz yet but I thought I should mention I stopped taking claritin 7 days ago. I have not flushed since. My baseline redness is still there throughout the day but not as bad as I was before Claritin. I also have not let hot water touch my face either during this time.

Have you investigated tranexamic acid solution? It has been discussed here at RF. It is for phenotype 2 and phenotype 3.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Have you investigated tranexamic acid solution? It has been discussed here at RF. It is for phenotype 2 and phenotype 3.
    This is my first time reading about tranexamic acid. I just read about the studies and the products in that link and i couldn't figure out which percentage of tranexamic acid is recommended. The only time it was referenced was 10% used in a study, and another mentioned 10% is too strong for rosacea patients. I did a quick search and saw that Sephora has a couple products with tranexamic acid but it is only 2-3%. What percentage do you recommend? A brand called the inky list has 3%, and it is sold at sephora

Quote Originally Posted by Rtstar View Post
    This is my first time reading about tranexamic acid. I just read about the studies and the products in that link and i couldn't figure out which percentage of tranexamic acid is recommended. The only time it was referenced was 10% used in a study, and another mentioned 10% is too strong for rosacea patients. I did a quick search and saw that Sephora has a couple products with tranexamic acid but it is only 2-3%. What percentage do you recommend? A brand called the inky list has 3%, and it is sold at sephora
    I have never used it or done much research on it other than the post I mentioned. There are several posts at RF on this subject. Just type in 'tranexamic' and spend a half hour browsing through the results.

One paper uses a Topical 10% Tranexamic acid for erythematotelangiectatic steriod induced rosacea. Most of the topicals that has TXA in the ingredients usually are 2-3%. One post by dryad points to a page on the web Trick of the Trade: Topical Tranexamic Acid Paste for Hemostasis, which you would have to careful figuring out how to make this paste.

Since there is the following paper:

J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018 Aug 11;:
    The new therapeutic choice of tranexamic acid solution in treatment of erythematotelangiectatic rosacea.
    Bageorgou F, Vasalou V, Tzanetakou V, Kontochristopoulos G

It might be prudent to refer to the above paper and ask your physician about this treatment.

red devil at RF [Post no 55] found another treatment using TXA, DERMO PHARMA DNA CREAM TRANEXAMIC ACID + COLLAGEN, by Dermapharma (Switzerland)

TRANX_Cream_Desc-408x450.jpg.cd22b8dfc1714ffc86d568896c176dae.jpg
    Another one:
    Belo Essentials Tranexamic +Kojic acid
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 13th May 2020 at 02:53 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    I have never used it or done much research on it other than the post I mentioned. There are several posts at RF on this subject. Just type in 'tranexamic' and spend a half hour browsing through the results.

One paper uses a Topical 10% Tranexamic acid for erythematotelangiectatic steriod induced rosacea. Most of the topicals that has TXA in the ingredients usually are 2-3%. One post by dryad points to a page on the web Trick of the Trade: Topical Tranexamic Acid Paste for Hemostasis, which you would have to careful figuring out how to make this paste.

Since there is the following paper:

J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018 Aug 11;:
    The new therapeutic choice of tranexamic acid solution in treatment of erythematotelangiectatic rosacea.
    Bageorgou F, Vasalou V, Tzanetakou V, Kontochristopoulos G

It might be prudent to refer to the above paper and ask your physician about this treatment.

red devil at RF [Post no 55] found another treatment using TXA, DERMO PHARMA DNA CREAM TRANEXAMIC ACID + COLLAGEN, by Dermapharma (Switzerland)

TRANX_Cream_Desc-408x450.jpg.cd22b8dfc1714ffc86d568896c176dae.jpg
    Another one:
    Belo Essentials Tranexamic +Kojic acid

I have decided to go ahead and try the tranexamic acid treatment if I still do not hear back about zz cream by June. I was a little hesitant because of the micro needling and the very little research behind it but I decided to try it anyway with a 3% solution. I did read that one case of topical tranexamic acid resulted in blood clot for someone and that does scare me since I have poor blood circulation and EM already. That study didn't say what percentage of tranexamic acid was used, but it did say topical tranexamic acid. I do think its worth noting that I still haven't flushed in a couple weeks even though i stopped taking claritin. I just ordered a probiotic that a couple users recommended for those with histamine intolerance. I'm not sure if that applies to me but I will update if i notice improvement.

Update: about 4 days ago i started flushing at night again. Last night I used an air purifier in my room and i have been leaving it on all night and day. My skin hasn't looked this good in awhile. I have noticed that because I haven't been flushing as much as before my baseline redness is a little better as well. Obviously the redness gets better without flushing but I didn't realize that staying away from a flushing episode helps baseline redness overall. i haven't added any skincare to my routine either. This is simply just from avoiding heat and my indoor allergies.

I also had a nose problem, the laser made it worse.
    I have recently used the SUMAMED/ Azithromycin antibiotic (macrolide antibiotics))
    I think it was an inflammatory condition of the subcutaneous tissue from Staphylococcus aureus.
    Yes, I think it is a staph that got deeper in the skin due to too strong laser treatment that greatly weakened the skin's immune system. This antibiotic helped me a lot and what surprised me a lot was the positive effect after 3 hours of use.

Consider whether you have cellulitis / subcutaneous tissue inflammation. Because it is possible from staph or other bacteria.
    Right now my inflammation has changed a lot and my skin is the best I've had since a nose problem
    Last edited by przemek; 29th May 2020 at 02:20 PM.