Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doxycycline "purge"

Default Doxycycline "purge"

Okay, so my skin these past 4 or 5 days has been ridiculously bad in terms of breakouts: papules, pustules, also just itchy red blotches on my forehead. Now, I started zz cream at the same time as doxy, about 5 days ago, so assumed it was just that making my skin bad because, well, it's quite up front about that being part of the process. However I stopped z cream 3 days ago and I'm still getting loads of breakouts. Could this be the doxy? I've read about a purging effect, but wasn't sure if that was just for acne, not rosacea. Thanks.

Why did you stop ZZ Cream? You need to keep using it.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Why did you stop ZZ Cream? You need to keep using it.
    Truthfully, I had a bit of a panic when it got bad. I know it says it's normal to get worse, but it's easy to say that and I guess the fact it's basically just some random cream from china put me off. I know some people here say it's good, but, yeah, I just got scared. I've got some soolantra - going to start that tonight. If that's no good I'll go back to the zz cream.

Soolantra takes eight to twelve weeks for clearance and again, it gets worse before it gets better, usually four weeks to see improvement, so if you get scared or panic again try morphine or whatever you can find to calm yourself. I found the ZZ cream better than Soolantra, but since so many rave about Soolantra, I just had to try it. Here is my review. Some find the MOA and Basis for Vehicle (the inactive ingredients) not to their liking. Here is my ZZ cream review.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 21st April 2020 at 02:14 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by ASordidGod View Post
    Okay, so my skin these past 4 or 5 days has been ridiculously bad in terms of breakouts: papules, pustules, also just itchy red blotches on my forehead. Now, I started zz cream at the same time as doxy, about 5 days ago, so assumed it was just that making my skin bad because, well, it's quite up front about that being part of the process. However I stopped z cream 3 days ago and I'm still getting loads of breakouts. Could this be the doxy? I've read about a purging effect, but wasn't sure if that was just for acne, not rosacea. Thanks.
    I think it's fairly unlikely to be the doxy. I can't recall seeing anyone report a breakout from doxy on here. I used doxy (on and off) for a significant period a few years ago and never experienced one. And from what little we know about rosacea P&Ps, a breakout from doxy doesn't seem consistent with doxy's mechanism of action.

From what you've said, I would suggest your breakout is likely from the ZZ and would probably have been worse if you weren't on the doxy!

If you are worried about the ZZ cream, once your skin calms down, try using it on a small patch (say, one side of your nose) and build up your confidence in its efficacy before using it on a larger area.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to have to pick either zz cream or soolantra and stick with it. I'll try soolantra for a few days just to see how it feels/if it irritates. If it does, I'll go back to zz cream. That actually felt nice on my face; cooling. And I'm not quite sure what version I've got, but when I put it on it helped disguise some of the redness. It did make me look kind of ill, but I prefer that to red.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to have to pick either zz cream or soolantra and stick with it. I'll try soolantra for a few days just to see how it feels/if it irritates. If it does, I'll go back to zz cream. That actually felt nice on my face; cooling. And I'm not quite sure what version I've got, but when I put it on it helped disguise some of the redness. It did make me look kind of ill, but I prefer that to red.
    You should apply a small dab of Soolantra on your inside wrist to see if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. You will get a red rash in a matter of hours if you are allergic. I am assuming you mean that the ZZ cream 'actually felt nice on my face:cooling' and whether you have the original or the cosmetic, both have this effect due to mint/menthol in the composition ingredients. I too like this cooling effect. The original has 'Original' stamped on the jar at the first 'Z'.

You might find Soolantra has the opposite effect which it did for me since it seems to clog my pores and has a 'heating' effect on me.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Truthfully, I had a bit of a panic when it got bad. I know it says it's normal to get worse, but it's easy to say that and I guess the fact it's basically just some random cream from china put me off. I know some people here say it's good, but, yeah, I just got scared. I've got some soolantra - going to start that tonight. If that's no good I'll go back to the zz cream.
    Both will cause a die-off. Soolantra will take much longer to act.

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...rate!-(w-pics)
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Both will cause a die-off. Soolantra will take much longer to act.

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...rate!-(w-pics)
    Do you mean in a good way? As in, it will take longer to see the benefits of Soolantra? Or do you mean that the initial die off is something which happens sooner with ZZ cream?

Do you mean in a good way? As in, it will take longer to see the benefits of Soolantra? Or do you mean that the initial die off is something which happens sooner with ZZ cream?
    ZZ Cream is a much better product which is stronger, works faster, and which will keep you Demodex-free unlike Soolantra which works slower and becomes less effective over time. The fact that ZZ Cream produced a die-off for you within a few days is a great sign, but you need to keep going.