Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using ZZ Cream

Default Using ZZ Cream

Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies if there is already a thread on this, I couldn't find one even by searching keywords.

Started since yesterday to use ZZ cream in the fight against the red nose!

Any tips?

All it seems to have done so far is just burn the face a little (i have tested it on another part) and the redness is still there.

How long would it take to see a difference?

Although with COVID-19 making many of us here in the UK working from home now.

Was just wondering when will i see a difference, dont want to be having video conferencing calls with managers with a bright red nose. (I usually cover it up)

Hope someone who has used it can help.

Thanks T

Quote Originally Posted by TSW1988 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies if there is already a thread on this, I couldn't find one even by searching keywords.

Started since yesterday to use ZZ cream in the fight against the red nose!

Any tips?

All it seems to have done so far is just burn the face a little (i have tested it on another part) and the redness is still there.

How long would it take to see a difference?

Although with COVID-19 making many of us here in the UK working from home now.

Was just wondering when will i see a difference, dont want to be having video conferencing calls with managers with a bright red nose. (I usually cover it up)

Hope someone who has used it can help.

Thanks T
    You can expect some extra redness for the first couple of weeks. This is the die off of the demodex mites. It is the decaying bodies that causes the redness, and sometimes bumps. After that, things should improve. Some people find a moisturiser of some form or another applied on top of the zhongzhou cream helps a little with this issue. I use Skinceuticals Epidermal Repair cream or Dermalogica Barrier Repair cream - the combination with Zhongzhou is really effective. You can get the Dermalogica cream on Amazon.

Did you apply a dab on your inside wrist and see if your skin turns red? You may be allergic to the ZZ cream if it turns red. Not sure why you can't find any posts on the ZZ cream here at RF since there are many threads on this subject and I used the search box feature to find the following.

For some examples:

RedRecluse is as avid fan and has posted many posts about the ZZ cream. This thread is his best one. Judworth who likes the ZZ cream started this thread about this subject and posts at #100 the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Judworth View Post
    Coming up to two months of using ZZ cream (just purchased my 2nd tub).

I have been more than happy with the results, use 5 out of 7 nights and often over an oil-based night product (which really helps to reduce dryness).

The face that now looks back at me is pale and although I obviously will never lose those pesky thread veins, they are much paler!

All-in-all a real success for me!

J
    Judworth also started this thread and posts at no 34 of the thread the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Judworth View Post
    Thanks for the updates Brady!

Reassuring to know that the results are the same!

I am using only about 4 times a week now, still with the same great results!

J
    redvelvet started a thread about the ZZ cream and is a fan who posts at #72:
    Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    It's been a while since I posted an update, but wanted to let you all know I'm still a huge fan of ZZ Cream. My skin continues to lighten and I really don't even feel "red" anymore. Thank you redrecluse for sharing your story, because that was the first post I read which inspired me. I really think I should buy a lifetime supply of ZZ incase, God forbid, they ever stop making it. It has changed my life. Actually, this website has, because this is where I first heard of demodex mites and ZZ cream. Thank you Brady Barrows!! I have been so inspired to share what I've learned with other rosaceans who are walking around completely unaware of demodex mites and the fact that there might be a cure to their rosacea. Some people on this forum have asked me for more specifics about the gut cleanse/detox I did and the products I used. (All Standard Process). So I started a blog/website, www.rosaceahelp.org which goes into much more detail about gut health, cleanses, diet, facial products, this amazing website, the RRDI, and of course Zhong Zhou cream. I am hoping to add more content as I learn more, and hoping others will share their success stories there as well.
    akas started a thread on the ZZ cream here who eventually said it didn't work out for him but one who replied to the thread did say it works. For example:

redhotoz [post no 26]
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotoz View Post
    I'm glad there is a new thread now running on ZZ. I hesitated for a long time before trying it but really pleased that I finally gave it a go. I don't really care if I have excess Demodex Mites or not...what I do know is that it helps to keep my p&p's at bay. Not perfect but better than anything else I've tried! What I have learnt though is that when I am stressed out, it doesn't matter what I'm doing for the control of my Rosacea beast...a breakout will happen! Urgh! Well, at least they are not nearly as severe as before and at least no more swelling on my face! YEAY!!! I mean, to be able to count or to 'work on' a few p&p's is not so bad!

I posted a bit about my use of ZZ in this thread (scroll down a bit to my December update):

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...=3542&start=30

I also posted these pics on the Demodex Messageboard. I'm "Jen" there and post there every now and then. There are quite a few Rosies I know who post over there too. All of whom I trust and several whom I have been in e-mail contact with. Anyway, just wanted to say that, as I don't believe the Demodex Messageboard is biased. I mean, you just have to look at the fact that other creams are discussed...that is...those threads are NOT removed. How could that make it a biased Messageboard?

I've actually just run out of ZZ and need to order some more. So, after reading through this thread tonight, I thought I would again try the sulphur cream that I have, which was prescribed to me, by the Derm I saw late 2005. Not only does the Derm's prescribed sulphur cream make my face hot, I feel that my skin is 'clogged up' and oily. I hate creams! Ahhh, I know that sounds dumb...but ZZ is not really like a cream. Besides that, when ZZ is applied to a damp face, it's kinda like a drying mask. It's weird to describe.

Oh, yes the tearing of the eyes! My eyes tear up from the menthol (I assume) and my nose runs! I too dab away at the tears and drips, so that it doesn't remove the ZZ on my face. It's icey cold to apply yet a kind of tingling sensation. Again, hard to describe. Maybe like a 'dry ice' feeling - not that I would put dry ice on my face! LOL I dunno how to describe it.

I only use ZZ at night but wash with the Acarid soap morning and night. Although the soap smells...well...like 'normal' soap - that is, it smells like a cheap Coles brand with a boring scent - it doesn't irritate my face. I like it a lot.

ZZ is drying, so I apply about 4 drops of Rose Hip Oil to a damp face in the morning (after washing with the Acarid soap) and this provides a good amount of moisture for the day. If my face is extra dry, I will add a few drops of Emu Oil over that. For me, the need to moisturise more is brilliant, as my face is oil-prone.

Some folks have said that they get worse before they get better and this has been the case for me. I hated the breakout period from ZZ. Others have launched into good skin pretty much straight up - lucky them!!!

Aghhhh...sorry! I am ranting a bit. I'm just really glad that I made the plunge to try ZZ. Best thing for me to keep p&p's at bay.

Oh, one last thing. I don't work for Demodex Solutions nor do I have any monetary connection with them. I decided to try ZZ after reading about it from other's posts over a long period of time. Then my final 'hand in pocket' was after watching Simon's progress over several months. I'm glad I did though.

Jen

Mistica [post #16] 6th January 2020 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistica View Post
    I have been using ZZ cream since 2013, although I briefly dabbled in it a year or two prior.

I am a severe flusher beyond the scope of what is thought to be 'rosacea'.
    I have managed to rein it in over the years and along with diet, supplements, Ice packs, ZZ cream has been a major contributor to my improvement.

It did indeed help reduce my redness, but using lots of it, increased my redness.
    There certainly seems to be a fine line between enough and too much.
    Having said that when my flushing was extreme, I used ZZ cream to dry out my skin like an old leather boot, so that the superficial veins and capillaries on my face could not as easily dilate.
    I was flashing on and off like a neon sign prior to that and by physically reining in the ability of this process, the receptors which induce flushing must have been able to down regulate. (In conjunction with the rest of my regime).

Baseline redness, reduced a lot. Much of my face is now pale. That is a considerable improvement considering back in the day I could have got a job at the port as a beacon, warning ships off the rocks. (During flushing and swelling).

When I started to mix it with my topical niacinamide gel, further improvements were achieved rather quickly.

Telangietasia.
    ZZ Cream did not cause these to vanish.
    However, those which lay just beneath the surface of the skin and become more prominent with flushing, did eventually become far less visible, but it took years.
    Very pleasing results however.

But those which sit right on the surface. Those which were caused by my severe adverse rebound reactions to topical brimonidine and then oral metronizadole, did not reduce.
    In addition, when I foolishly took an oral vitamin A supplement for a period of time around late 2016, telangiectasia grew here and there like weeds including around my nostrils.
    These have failed to reduce at all despite spot applications of ZZ cream.

I rarely get breakouts these days, but if I change my diet or ingest something known to interact with the TRPV receptors, I will develop them and if apply ZZ Cream thickly and several times per day, I am usually, but not always able to prevent more telangiectasia from developing.
    I often apply a daub of Hydrogen peroxide first.

I suspect ZZ cream works by modifying nerve function in addition to any anti demodex/microbial action it has.
    Initially it seemed to increase my potential for flushing. Especially when exposed to heat and that fits in with the way menthol works. Menthol reduces the threshold to heat tolerance according to some articles I have read.

ZZ cream used to have a different consistency and I used it alone.
    Then in 2014, when I made another purchase it had changed and I was horrified to see it dried like poster paint on my face.
    At that point I started mixing it with niacinamide gel and it worked well. Far better than the old version used alone.
    I feel confident in saying that these two products work synergistically and the results for me have been superior to using ZZ cream alone.

I would advise any rosacean or flusher to give ZZ Cream a whirl and if necessary mix it with a topical you can tolerate.
    Keeping in mind that dietary modification, supplements and the avoidance of excessive heat, and cooling the face down quickly when heated are necessary.
    These are just a few posts on the ZZ cream. There are many more.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    You can expect some extra redness for the first couple of weeks. This is the die off of the demodex mites. It is the decaying bodies that causes the redness, and sometimes bumps. After that, things should improve. Some people find a moisturiser of some form or another applied on top of the zhongzhou cream helps a little with this issue. I use Skinceuticals Epidermal Repair cream or Dermalogica Barrier Repair cream - the combination with Zhongzhou is really effective. You can get the Dermalogica cream on Amazon.
    i will try some moisturiser on top this evening before going bed.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Did you apply a dab on your inside wrist and see if your skin turns red? You may be allergic to the ZZ cream if it turns red. Not sure why you can't find any posts on the ZZ cream here at RF since there are many threads on this subject and I used the search box feature to find the following.

For some examples:

RedRecluse is as avid fan and has posted many posts about the ZZ cream. This thread is his best one. Judworth who likes the ZZ cream started this thread about this subject and posts at #100 the following:

Judworth also started this thread and posts at no 34 of the thread the following:

redvelvet started a thread about the ZZ cream and is a fan who posts at #72:

akas started a thread on the ZZ cream here who eventually said it didn't work out for him but one who replied to the thread did say it works. For example:

redhotoz [post no 26]

Mistica [post #16] 6th January 2020 10:14 AM

These are just a few posts on the ZZ cream. There are many more.
    i did yeah a patch test on the inside of my wrist and nothinf,

i did yeah a patch test on the inside of my wrist and nothinf,
    Good. This usually indicates you are not allergic to the ZZ cream. It usually takes 90 to 120 days for clearance and gets worse before it gets better. However, you should see improvement in the first month.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Good. This usually indicates you are not allergic to the ZZ cream. It usually takes 90 to 120 days for clearance and gets worse before it gets better. However, you should see improvement in the first month.
    Any ideas on what to do?

Like do I keep it on all day? Cover up with a little make up?

Or wash it off and add again at evening with a moisturiser?

Although here in the uk we have a shutdown of going out, Just don’t want to be going on video calls with work with a bright red nose

Hope you see this

Any ideas on what to do?
    Although here in the uk we have a shutdown of going out, Just don’t want to be going on video calls with work with a bright red nose
    Hope you see this
    Generally, apply the ZZ cream at night just before bed after washing your face (without irritating it if you are sensitive to soap/cleanser or just use warm water). Try not to get it near your eyes. Let dry before you put your face on pillow. You may have to close your eyes to prevent tearing of the eyes since the menthol/mint may cause tears. If you are using the Original ZZ cream if you are going out in public the next morning, you can wash off the ZZ cream. Apply your favorite moisturizer if you have dry skin. Repeat this each night. If you are using the ZZ cosmetic version, it usually blends in to the skin.

If you are not going out in public, you can leave the ZZ cream on for as long as you want the next day. But wash your face again each evening and repeat the process above. You may find this post useful.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 26th March 2020 at 11:00 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Generally, apply the ZZ cream at night just before bed after washing your face (without irritating it if you are sensitive to soap/cleanser or just use warm water). Try not to get it near your eyes. Let dry before you put your face on pillow. You may have to close your eyes to prevent tearing of the eyes since the menthol/mint may cause tears. If you are using the Original ZZ cream if you are going out in public the next morning, you can wash off the ZZ cream. Apply your favorite moisturizer if you have dry skin. Repeat this each night. If you are using the ZZ cosmetic version, it usually blends in to the skin.

If you are not going out in public, you can leave the ZZ cream on for as long as you want the next day. But wash your face again each evening and repeat the process above. You may find this post useful.
    Thank you BB

Any ideas on what to do?

Hope you see this
    Hi TSW,
    Glad to hear you have found ZZ. You can use makeup while using it if you need to, but maybe try a powder foundation or one that is easy to remove. I found most cleansers to be very irritating so I would always avoid makeup, because then I'd have to wash it off at night. If you can get away with it, just use ZZ cream. I needed moisturizer with each application because it got drier the more I used it. I did have to take a day off at one point because my face was just so irritated. After significant healing, I barely have to use any moisturizer and I only use the ZZ cream 2-3 nights per week. I've almost completed 4 months using it religiously. Please keep us posted on your progress.