Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Energy Drinks/Building tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    When you were reacting to food when it first developed, how long did it take you to stop reacting to food and getting nose flushes. I'm surprised that you say food ceased to have an effect.
    Energy drinks I find are the worse trigger for a flush or delayed flush compared to anything in my experience, even compared drinking alcohol and spirits. I doubt it was the Sertraline, I tried it for 4 months years ago and it had no effect on flushing, good or bad.
    Food seems to drive this condition, also complicated with a delayed trigger effect depending on the food..
    Er, my memory really isn't great so this is all approximate. But I developed rosacea about eight, nine years ago. Initially I was devastated and obsessing over my skin and literally everything would aggravate it. But then gradually, and after taking oxytertacyline (spl) plus zinc and tumeric supplements and using an incredibly mild cleanser, it calmed down enough that I kind of accepted it. There was still a persistent mildish red on my cheeks next to my nose (but not my nose itself) and forehead, and I still got regular pustules, but in terms of full of aggravated flushes and inflamed reactions and nose flushes to food and heat and, well, everything, there was little response, if any. I can't exactly remember when, but I ended up reintroducing into my diet all the sugary stuff I'd cut out, or at least limited for a long time and which used to cause a reaction. For years I was okay, or at least existing with my skin in its imperfect but manageable state, and then recently, this last month or so, it's completely flared up again and I'm back to square one. I write this now with my skin prickling and flushed, and yet I haven't had a energy drink in a week or even a coke zero in days. It's very frustrating.

Something, whether it was the energy drinks or setraline or something else, but something has returned my skin to the bad old days. I'm pretty sad, to be honest. Going to start researching topicals which I've never really used before.

Quote Originally Posted by ASordidGod View Post
    Something, whether it was the energy drinks or setraline or something else, but something has returned my skin to the bad old days. I'm pretty sad, to be honest. Going to start researching topicals which I've never really used before.
    There are many here at RF who use the ZZ cream with success. Just type in 'ZZ' in the search box and browse the threads for twenty minutes.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi

Er, my memory really isn't great so this is all approximate. But I developed rosacea about eight, nine years ago. Initially I was devastated and obsessing over my skin and literally everything would aggravate it. But then gradually, and after taking oxytertacyline (spl) plus zinc and tumeric supplements and using an incredibly mild cleanser, it calmed down enough that I kind of accepted it. There was still a persistent mildish red on my cheeks next to my nose (but not my nose itself) and forehead, and I still got regular pustules, but in terms of full of aggravated flushes and inflamed reactions and nose flushes to food and heat and, well, everything, there was little response, if any. I can't exactly remember when, but I ended up reintroducing into my diet all the sugary stuff I'd cut out, or at least limited for a long time and which used to cause a reaction. For years I was okay, or at least existing with my skin in its imperfect but manageable state, and then recently, this last month or so, it's completely flared up again and I'm back to square one. I write this now with my skin prickling and flushed, and yet I haven't had a energy drink in a week or even a coke zero in days. It's very frustrating.

I've been doing a lot of research on the underlying gut connection to rosacea and something to keep in mind is that some of the biggest disruptors to your gut lining are: SUGAR, caffeine, medications (this includes NSAIDS, cortisone, and antibiotics.) Research regarding SSRIs in terms of gut health is conflicting. According to Dr. Fetissov, "The composition of gut microbiota is very sensitive to the metabolic processes of the body and can change naturally, through drug-induced metabolic shifts in the brain and other organs." (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326299). Basically, whether it's inflammatory foods, Advil, anxiety/depression or prescription drugs, ALL of these can have an effect on the delicate lining of our gut...some good and some bad, but it's different for everyone. When your gut is compromised, the bacteria, foods and waste which is supposed to be contained in your gut can "leak" out into your bloodstream. Your body will then launch an immune response, resulting in major inflammation which can show up as rosacea. Obviously this is not the only reason rosacea occurs, but it certainly can be a contributing factor. Personally I was able to "heal" my rosacea by addressing gut health (I did a 30 day "reset" followed by some detoxes) and I also treated it externally with ZZ cream. The combination worked quite well for me. ZZ cream alone may work quite well for you, but I would urge you to find an alternative to the energy drinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    There are many here at RF who use the ZZ cream with success. Just type in 'ZZ' in the search box and browse the threads for twenty minutes.
    Thanks, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    I've been doing a lot of research on the underlying gut connection to rosacea and something to keep in mind is that some of the biggest disruptors to your gut lining are: SUGAR, caffeine, medications (this includes NSAIDS, cortisone, and antibiotics.) Research regarding SSRIs in terms of gut health is conflicting. According to Dr. Fetissov, "The composition of gut microbiota is very sensitive to the metabolic processes of the body and can change naturally, through drug-induced metabolic shifts in the brain and other organs." (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326299). Basically, whether it's inflammatory foods, Advil, anxiety/depression or prescription drugs, ALL of these can have an effect on the delicate lining of our gut...some good and some bad, but it's different for everyone. When your gut is compromised, the bacteria, foods and waste which is supposed to be contained in your gut can "leak" out into your bloodstream. Your body will then launch an immune response, resulting in major inflammation which can show up as rosacea. Obviously this is not the only reason rosacea occurs, but it certainly can be a contributing factor. Personally I was able to "heal" my rosacea by addressing gut health (I did a 30 day "reset" followed by some detoxes) and I also treated it externally with ZZ cream. The combination worked quite well for me. ZZ cream alone may work quite well for you, but I would urge you to find an alternative to the energy drinks!
    Hey, glad you had success. What's a 30 day reset? Just a very controlled diet kind of thing?

Red face

Hey, glad you had success. What's a 30 day reset? Just a very controlled diet kind of thing?
    Itís basically a cleanse where you eliminate the most inflammatory foods: sugar, gluten, soy, corn, processed foods, and add daily probiotics, greens, detox teas, fiber and bone broth. This combination is extremely healing to the gut lining and will start the process. After the 30 days you would continue to avoid the most inflammatory foods and continue taking the probiotics. I originally did this back in November and bought a kit which included all the products. I have since incorporated many of the new foods and good practices into my daily diet. Itís not for everyone; it definitely requires some discipline but I had pretty much had it with my rosacea and I didnít want to take any more antibiotics or use lasers so it was a good option for me. And yes, thankfully it worked. Keep reading and keep learning!

Okay, so it's been over a month since I stopped taking sertraline (spl), and two weeks since I stopped drinking energy drinks. However, my skin is as bad as has ever been. In effect, it's back to what it was when I first developed the condition; indeed it's only now that I appreciate just how much my skin had improved.

Before I could wash my face and not worry about being rough; eat basically what I wanted with no real flushing risk. The cold and hot still used to make me flush bright red, but only very briefly; nothing lasting.

Now though my skin texture has completely changed again; it's dry and inflamed and incredibly sensitive. I have persistent redness on my cheeks (though not a butterfly pattern; more like straightish rectangular blocks starting at my eyes and finishing on both sides at the bottom of my nose), forehead; and my nose, while not always red, is pretty much always threatening to be. Almost everything sets it off. Oh, and I should add: even when the redness was good I still got papules. Not as bad as this, though.

Anyway, I'm trying to be positive. I saw big improvement once, hopefully I can again. Last time what got me through it was oxytetracyline (spl), two tablets twice a day; plus a sensitive face wash, lots of zinc, lots of tumeric capsules. Recently what with everything going on I'd run out of both oxy and tumeric for a while (that might be another reason for my relapse), but I've got another supply in and hopefully will see some improvement soon.

I've also got some rozex gel, is it, which I'm only using on my forehead for now because I have a fringe and can cover the damage. I also have some zz cream on the way, though I think I'll leave that for a bit so I can see if the rozex is having any effect. I've actually tried rozex before and gave it up because it irritated me, but I'm desperate at the moment.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm frustrated/scared/trying really hard to stay positive. Basically I just needed to vent. Thanks.

Last time what got me through it was oxytetracyline (spl), two tablets twice a day; plus a sensitive face wash, lots of zinc, lots of tumeric capsules. Recently what with everything going on I'd run out of both oxy and tumeric for a while (that might be another reason for my relapse), but I've got another supply in and hopefully will see some improvement soon. I've also got some rozex gel, is it, which I'm only using on my forehead for now because I have a fringe and can cover the damage. I also have some zz cream on the way, though I think I'll leave that for a bit so I can see if the rozex is having any effect. I've actually tried rozex before and gave it up because it irritated me, but I'm desperate at the moment.
    You should know that Rozex (Metronidazole) is an antibiotic cream and antiprotozoal medication and the oxytetracycline is a powerful antibiotic? You mention two tablets a day of the oxytetracycline. Is each tablet 500 mg? If so, you are under a heavy antibiotic treatment regimen. Are you aware of the side effects and long term issues associated with such a treatment, including gastric issues among a long string of risks, not to mention antibiotic resistance? Short term antibiotic treatment for rosacea is usually the best course and the gold standard is using low dose doxycycline (Oracea) which has 30 mg immediate release and 10 mg timed released doxycycline, usually a 16 week course. There are a number of rosaceans in RF who have stopped antibiotic treatment due to the side effects and risks associated with long term treatment. The general consensus among antibiotic treatment reports is that rosacea comes back with a vengeance when you stop taking it, hence, rosaceans continue long term to keep rosacea controlled. Since it comes back when not taking antibiotics it is not curing the issue it is simply treating the symptoms.

Others have treated rosacea with nutrition and herbs (like you with turmeric) so you may want to read up about nutritional deficiencies in rosacea.

The ZZ cream usually takes 90 days for clearance but you should see improvement in four weeks.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    You should know that Rozex (Metronidazole) is an antibiotic cream and antiprotozoal medication and the oxytetracycline is a powerful antibiotic? You mention two tablets a day of the oxytetracycline. Is each tablet 500 mg? If so, you are under a heavy antibiotic treatment regimen. Are you aware of the side effects and long term issues associated with such a treatment, including gastric issues among a long string of risks, not to mention antibiotic resistance? Short term antibiotic treatment for rosacea is usually the best course and the gold standard is using low dose doxycycline (Oracea) which has 30 mg immediate release and 10 mg timed released doxycycline, usually a 16 week course. There are a number of rosaceans in RF who have stopped antibiotic treatment due to the side effects and risks associated with long term treatment. The general consensus among antibiotic treatment reports is that rosacea comes back with a vengeance when you stop taking it, hence, rosaceans continue long term to keep rosacea controlled. Since it comes back when not taking antibiotics it is not curing the issue it is simply treating the symptoms.

Others have treated rosacea with nutrition and herbs (like you with turmeric) so you may want to read up about nutritional deficiencies in rosacea.

The ZZ cream usually takes 90 days for clearance but you should see improvement in four weeks.
    Thanks for the reply. And yes, I agree, it is a high dosage, but as reckless as it sounds, I'm willing to take the associative risks if it means masking my rosacea symptoms. And like I say, it worked pretty well for me in the past. If it does the same this time, I'd be ecstatic. I mean, nothing cures rosacea; the best we can do is alleviate the symptoms, no?

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I agree, it is a high dosage, but as reckless as it sounds, I'm willing to take the associative risks if it means masking my rosacea symptoms. And like I say, it worked pretty well for me in the past. If it does the same this time, I'd be ecstatic. I mean, nothing cures rosacea; the best we can do is alleviate the symptoms, no?
    There are a few who have actually said their rosacea is in remission, but that is another topic to discuss. Yes, generally most rosaceans are controlling their rosacea with various treatments, and we have dubbed this the X-Factor in Rosacea. What might help you in your search is understanding the Risk-Benefit Ratio in Rosacea Treatment and Development.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi