Thread: Propranolol VS Carvedilol??? Which is best?

Question Propranolol VS Carvedilol??? Which is best?

Hi,

I have been taking Propranolol for years, 20mg 2x daily. Definitely helpful. I have however, come across some studies on flushing using Carvedilol, (another Beta blocker).

I am wondering if anyone has used Propranolol and switched to Carvedilol and if they found there was an improvement? Or, if anyone is just using Carvedilol and how they find it for flushing?

Side effects look to be about similar.

Thanks.

Image from Study.

Link to full study

Long-term management of distinct facial flushing and persistent erythema of rosacea by treatment with carvedilol.
    https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(12)00440-9/pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    Hi,

I have been taking Propranolol for years, 20mg 2x daily. Definitely helpful. I have however, come across some studies on flushing using Carvedilol, (another Beta blocker).

I am wondering if anyone has used Propranolol and switched to Carvedilol and if they found there was an improvement? Or, if anyone is just using Carvedilol and how they find it for flushing?

Side effects look to be about similar.

Thanks.

Image from Study.

Link to full study

Long-term management of distinct facial flushing and persistent erythema of rosacea by treatment with carvedilol.
    https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(12)00440-9/pdf
    I'm normally keen to try a new medication that might work, but I did read a lot of anecdotal reports about Carvedilol where it caused vasodilation and made the rosacea worse. I have a pack of it, but have never tried it. It is not used that commonly for rosacea. By contrast, propranolol is commonly used for rosacea, but works best if your rosacea is caused by stress and anxiety. Many people get stress and anxiety because of their rosacea, but propranolol particularly is helpful if stress or anxiety actually causes your flushing. Moxonodine or clonidine are more helpful for many people with rosacea if the cause of the flushing is more physical damage to the blood vessels etc (particularly if your blood pressure is average to high, as they reduce the peaks of your blood pressure).

Hydroxychloroquine, gabapentin, mirtzapine etc can also help if the above options don't help alone.

I take 12.5 mg of Carvedilol twice a day and do not experience any more flushing than the general population. Many years ago I experienced the horrible, burning/stinging flushing that lasted for hours so I know what others are trying to avoid. I take Carvedilol for my heart condition and apparently its side effect is reducing flushing which I appreciate. Thanks for the link to the article on Carvedilol. Here are some other articles:

"Carvedilol, 6.25 mg twice a day, was prescribed for the first week, followed by 3 times a day thereafter. She monitored her blood pressure and pulse rate regularly at home, and no hypotension or bradycardia was noted. A dramatic improvement in the erythema and telangiectasia was noted in 2 weeks."
    Carvedilol for the Treatment of Refractory Facial Flushing and Persistent Erythema of Rosacea
    Chia-Chi Hsu, MD; J. Yu-Yun Lee, MD; Department of Dermatology, National Cheng Kung University Medical College and Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
    Download pdf

J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 Sep;67(3):491-3.
    Pronounced facial flushing and persistent erythema of rosacea effectively treated by carvedilol, a nonselective β-adrenergic blocker.

Hsu CC, Lee JY.

Pronounced facial flushing and persistent erythema of rosacea effectively treated by carvedilol, a nonselective b-adrenergic blocker
    J AM ACAD DERMATOL VOLUME 67, NUMBER 3, Letters, page 491
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 22nd March 2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi