Thread: Should someone with thin & sensitive skin avoid lasers altogether?

Default Should someone with thin & sensitive skin avoid lasers altogether?

I'm constantly having a back and forth argument in my head to whether I should book a v beam/ipl session. I have extremely sensitive skin which has thinned a lot by sun damage. I have baseline redness which gives my whole face a red hue with a white neck and upper chest. I'm 99% sure it's due to dilated capillaries, which I got from over exposure to the sun without sun cream last summer, rather than dermodox mites or gut inflammation.

On one hand I hear all these success stories, but then I also hear horror stories of people getting even redder and the laser making people's skin whom had regular sensitivity, extremely sensitive with a wrecked skin barrier.

Be honest,.what do you think the chances are of my skin being permently ruined for life if I take the risk and go for laser treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceK View Post
    I'm constantly having a back and forth argument in my head to whether I should book a v beam/ipl session. I have extremely sensitive skin which has thinned a lot by sun damage. I have baseline redness which gives my whole face a red hue with a white neck and upper chest. I'm 99% sure it's due to dilated capillaries, which I got from over exposure to the sun without sun cream last summer, rather than dermodox mites or gut inflammation.

On one hand I hear all these success stories, but then I also hear horror stories of people getting even redder and the laser making people's skin whom had regular sensitivity, extremely sensitive with a wrecked skin barrier.

Be honest,.what do you think the chances are of my skin being permently ruined for life if I take the risk and go for laser treatment?
    I think you would be crazy to do it but that is just my opinion!

one important thing to keep in mind is that the good effects (if you have them) of laser/IPL will be temporary, and you'll have to regularly get treatments as long as you want to maintain the effects.

Laser/IPL can most definitely trigger an "on state" of inflammation and nerve activity, although I don't think this is documented yet in the literature, and isn't common, and no one knows the "how/why" behind it. There's also a risk of more blood vessel growth (which happened to me). So I think you're gambling with each treatment.

IMO if it's just "annoying", I would work on self-acceptance with a therapist, I think you'd be far better off. Or enhance appearance in other less risky ways (work out, hair, eyelash extensions, whatever).
    Though if someone told me this when I had my IPL's I would have likely had them anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    one important thing to keep in mind is that the good effects (if you have them) of laser/IPL will be temporary, and you'll have to regularly get treatments as long as you want to maintain the effects.

Laser/IPL can most definitely trigger an "on state" of inflammation and nerve activity, although I don't think this is documented yet in the literature, and isn't common, and no one knows the "how/why" behind it. There's also a risk of more blood vessel growth (which happened to me). So I think you're gambling with each treatment.

IMO if it's just "annoying", I would work on self-acceptance with a therapist, I think you'd be far better off. Or enhance appearance in other less risky ways (work out, hair, eyelash extensions, whatever).
    Though if someone told me this when I had my IPL's I would have likely had them anyway!
    I agree laser/IPL is a gamble every time you have it. Some people who are really pleased with early treatments, then have a laser treatment they're very unhappy with later on.

I'm not sure if the original poster thinks they have rosacea or sun damage (some people think their rosacea was partly caused by sun damage).

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I agree laser/IPL is a gamble every time you have it. Some people who are really pleased with early treatments, then have a laser treatment they're very unhappy with later on.

I'm not sure if the original poster thinks they have rosacea or sun damage (some people think their rosacea was partly caused by sun damage).
    Yeah I'm not sure if I have sun damage erythema (Telangiectatic Photoaging) or type 1 rosacea (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea) it's very hard to determine which because both have the same redness caused by dilated capillaries & most of their symptoms crossover from each other.

I'm not sure but if I had sun damage a laser could potentially make it a lot worse?