Thread: I have had eyebrow loss for months and I don't know why. seb derm or demodex?

Default I have had eyebrow loss for months and I don't know why. seb derm or demodex?

Since the end of december my eyebrows got thinner and thinner at the ends. I tried a few things against it. I had rubbed garlic on the spots every evening for a month so that it should improve but it didn't work. I also used Regaine in the hope that it would make my eyebrows thicker again but stopped after only 2 days because it made my skin very dry.

Unfortunately, my eyebrows have gotten worse in the past few weeks. Not only were they thinner with bald spots, I even got dandruff on my eyebrows. A few days ago I had a whole 10-15 eyebrow hair fall out when I touched it ... Out of frustration, I have shaved off soe now and it just looks terrible.

My blood values ​​and my thyroid values ​​are normal, so there are no problems there. I am so desperate and don't know what to do. I would like to know the cause of this and take action against it.

Incidentally, I also have very dry and bloody spots on my hands, which probably indicates seb derm. But I have always had phases since years in which my hands become dry / bloody and I have never had the other problems that come with seb derm (eyebrow loss, for example).

Could it be that I have denodex on the eyebrows and that is the reason for them to fall out and become thinner ?

Default Research suggestions

You might be intersted in research on the following until a senior member answers:
    low histamine diet
    antihistamines
    mast cell stabilizers
    prostaglandin D2
    Browsing the rosacea forum might give you an insight on that issue. I personally believe that eylash/eyebrow loss can be connected to inflammation and swelling preventing nutrients from reaching the hair follicle. Hope it's some help.
    Vessi

Quote Originally Posted by Dogi1407 View Post
    Since the end of december my eyebrows got thinner and thinner at the ends. I tried a few things against it. I had rubbed garlic on the spots every evening for a month so that it should improve but it didn't work. I also used Regaine in the hope that it would make my eyebrows thicker again but stopped after only 2 days because it made my skin very dry.

Unfortunately, my eyebrows have gotten worse in the past few weeks. Not only were they thinner with bald spots, I even got dandruff on my eyebrows. A few days ago I had a whole 10-15 eyebrow hair fall out when I touched it ... Out of frustration, I have shaved off soe now and it just looks terrible.

My blood values ​​and my thyroid values ​​are normal, so there are no problems there. I am so desperate and don't know what to do. I would like to know the cause of this and take action against it.

Incidentally, I also have very dry and bloody spots on my hands, which probably indicates seb derm. But I have always had phases since years in which my hands become dry / bloody and I have never had the other problems that come with seb derm (eyebrow loss, for example).

Could it be that I have denodex on the eyebrows and that is the reason for them to fall out and become thinner ?
    Hi Dogi,
    I went through a similar situation last fall with eyebrow loss and seborrheic dermatitis around my hairline and back of neck. These conditions were secondary to my rosacea. After a lot of trial and error, I had great success with a combination of treatments including a comprehensive gut cleanse, heavy metal detox, spleen/liver detox and finally the demodex treatment (ZZ cream.) Everything has gone away completely (rosacea, seborrheic derm, perioral dermatitis, redness, flushing, papules, pustules) in the past 4 months and my skin is unrecognizable. (See my before and after pics!) My eyebrows have grown back in completely. I don't know if this approach would work for everyone but it has worked for me and several people I know. In my experience I have found that skin problems tend to have an underlying gut/immune/toxicity/ issue, and/or possible vitamin deficiencies. It sounds like you could have a demodex mite problem too, so certainly read up on that. Many users on this forum have had good luck with ZZ cream.
    Hope this helps!
    Attached Images

Not to alarm you, but you could have a thyroid issue. Eyebrow loss (particularly the outer third), is a hallmark symptom of Hypothyroidism. Might be something else, but just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    Hi Dogi,
    I went through a similar situation last fall with eyebrow loss and seborrheic dermatitis around my hairline and back of neck. These conditions were secondary to my rosacea. After a lot of trial and error, I had great success with a combination of treatments including a comprehensive gut cleanse, heavy metal detox, spleen/liver detox and finally the demodex treatment (ZZ cream.) Everything has gone away completely (rosacea, seborrheic derm, perioral dermatitis, redness, flushing, papules, pustules) in the past 4 months and my skin is unrecognizable. (See my before and after pics!) My eyebrows have grown back in completely. I don't know if this approach would work for everyone but it has worked for me and several people I know. In my experience I have found that skin problems tend to have an underlying gut/immune/toxicity/ issue, and/or possible vitamin deficiencies. It sounds like you could have a demodex mite problem too, so certainly read up on that. Many users on this forum have had good luck with ZZ cream.
    Hope this helps!
    Hi redvelvet, they are ridiculously good results, you must be so happy with yourself, Congrats.

I have always said it is an internal problem and with your extreme cleanse it just goes to show what can be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by vidrar View Post
    Not to alarm you, but you could have a thyroid issue. Eyebrow loss (particularly the outer third), is a hallmark symptom of Hypothyroidism. Might be something else, but just throwing it out there.
    Yes I was thinking that too! Dogi mentioned already having had thyroid testing, HOWEVER, many people who test "negative" for thyroid issues still have thyroid issues. Amy Myers MD book "Thy Thyroid Connection" is a fantastic read about the gut connection. So many of our illnesses, including both skin conditions and thyroid have an underlying gut component.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherman View Post
    Hi redvelvet, they are ridiculously good results, you must be so happy with yourself, Congrats.

I have always said it is an internal problem and with your extreme cleanse it just goes to show what can be achieved.
    Thank you Pantherman. I am still shocked every time I look in the mirror because the texture/tone of my skin continues to change. It's like "normal" skin now! I don't even flush anymore. I continue with my probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, and fiber because I want to make sure the lining of my gut is fully healed. This may take some time. I also continue to eat a huge variety of greens (a product called Greens Balance) to include all sorts of fruits/veggies/seeds that I wasn't getting in my daily diet. I eat raw cilantro daily. I continue to use ZZ cream every other night. I've made major changes to the products I use (deodorant, shampoo) because in America these products are full of heavy metals and toxins. All of this may sound a bit extreme but I refuse to go back to bloating, inflammation, constipation, headaches, IBS, fatigue, asthma, rosacea, perioral dermatitis, and a lifetime of medication. I documented the steps I took in a blog (rosaceahelp.org) for those of you who are interested in this approach. It is not for everyone!! This was my own approach of trial and error, and it seems to be helping other people who are interested in addressing these conditions from the inside out.

Thank you Pantherman. I am still shocked every time I look in the mirror because the texture/tone of my skin continues to change. It's like "normal" skin now! I don't even flush anymore. I continue with my probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, and fiber because I want to make sure the lining of my gut is fully healed. This may take some time. I also continue to eat a huge variety of greens (a product called Greens Balance) to include all sorts of fruits/veggies/seeds that I wasn't getting in my daily diet. I eat raw cilantro daily. I continue to use ZZ cream every other night. I've made major changes to the products I use (deodorant, shampoo) because in America these products are full of heavy metals and toxins. All of this may sound a bit extreme but I refuse to go back to bloating, inflammation, constipation, headaches, IBS, fatigue, asthma, rosacea, perioral dermatitis, and a lifetime of medication. I documented the steps I took in a blog (rosaceahelp.org) for those of you who are interested in this approach. It is not for everyone!! This was my own approach of trial and error, and it seems to be helping other people who are interested in addressing these conditions from the inside out.
    How long has it been since you have been pristine and gorgeous again?

The reason I ask (not only to "pump up your tyres" due to the great result lol) is that quite often it can return.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherman View Post
    How long has it been since you have been pristine and gorgeous again?

The reason I ask (not only to "pump up your tyres" due to the great result lol) is that quite often it can return.
    Not long! It's been about 5 months since I started all this, but it's the first time in 20 years I've seen any type of progress whatsoever. For the last 20 years things just got worse and worse and nothing ever helped or made a difference. I do think I'm on the right track, and if rosacea symptoms begin to appear again I will do the 30 day gut cleanse again and go from there.

Not long! It's been about 5 months since I started all this, but it's the first time in 20 years I've seen any type of progress whatsoever. For the last 20 years things just got worse and worse and nothing ever helped or made a difference. I do think I'm on the right track, and if rosacea symptoms begin to appear again I will do the 30 day gut cleanse again and go from there.
    All power to you redvelvet, keep us posted.