Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea, Papulopustules & Alopecia - Triple Threat

Default Rosacea, Papulopustules & Alopecia - Triple Threat

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley. I'm 33 and have been visiting dermatologists for over 5 years now for some relief, any kind of relief, for my rosacea, papulopustules and alopecia.
    I've tried everything from metro, soolantra, finacea, multiple steroids, vbeam treatments, doxycycline (highly allergic) and so many others. My last major flare up was after a "maintenance" vbeam treatment on 2/21/20. It was AWFUL. I've been so embarrassed to come into work. I don't want to talk to anyone. It's made me hit bottom. I started searching the internet to see what I could find. I came across a blog, that ultimately led me to this site. I've decided I'm going to try to "go against" my dermatologist and see what solutions are out there that we haven't tried or at least find some that I can go in and ask about. For about a week, I've only washed my face with water. No gentle cleansers, no restorative moisturizer afterwards, no ointments or steroids, nothing. My face it dry and I wake up with pustules every morning but I figured before I start something else I needed to give my face some time to breath. I did start Soolantra again yesterday. I'm going to use it on it's own and see what results I get. I've always used a treatment in combination with something else. I'm ready to start figuring out how I react to each treatment. For so long I've felt alone. I hate it for everyone that has to suffer from Rosacea and pustules but I don't feel as alone anymore. I'm glad I found this forum to hopefully find some relief

Some of what I've tried over the years in various combo's
    Metronidazole
    Finacea
    Doxycycline (allergic)
    Oracea (allergic)
    Soolantra (currently using)
    Mirvaso
    Rhofade
    Hydrocortisone
    Sulfacleanse
    Desonide
    CeraVe products
    MetroGel

VBeam Treatments
    3/29/19
    5/6/19
    6/6/19
    7/22/19
    2/21/20

Do not do laser treatments anymore, they damage the skin in the long run.
    Western medicine has nothing to offer.
    I can write to you a few things that help me are organic things, I don't use cosmetics from stores anymore because they only make my condition worse

You can try
    Reetha - wash your face (a small spoon of powder has a small glass of water and wash with cotton pads, then rinse the water)

Sandalwood Chandan - face mask
    It can help a lot

You can also try a face mask that consists of 3 ingredients (you can buy them) - reetha, amla, shikakai acacia concinna. This mask works quite strongly, but it cleans the skin very well

You can also try live apple cider vinegar - it's best to make a traditional home-made one.
    But when there is inflammation, my sandalwood mask or other mask works best for me - amla, reetha, shikakai acacia concinna

Read about these things - I just gave tips and I know that they help. I have given up all the creams a long time ago because it doesn't help. Only organic things without chemical ingredients help me. I also advise you not to do lasers. There is a great risk that you will get worse.

I find relief in natural things and I think that only they are effective for me. Normal cosmetic creams only make the condition worse.
    Last edited by przemek; 5th March 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by przemek View Post
    Do not do laser treatments anymore, they damage the skin in the long run.
    Western medicine has nothing to offer.
    I can write to you a few things that help me are organic things, I don't use cosmetics from stores anymore because they only make my condition worse

You can try
    Reetha - wash your face (a small spoon of powder has a small glass of water and wash with cotton pads, then rinse the water)

Sandalwood Chandan - face mask
    It can help a lot

You can also try a face mask that consists of 3 ingredients (you can buy them) - reetha, amla, shikakai acacia concinna. This mask works quite strongly, but it cleans the skin very well

You can also try live apple cider vinegar - it's best to make a traditional home-made one.
    But when there is inflammation, my sandalwood mask or other mask works best for me - amla, reetha, shikakai acacia concinna

Read about these things - I just gave tips and I know that they help. I have given up all the creams a long time ago because it doesn't help. Only organic things without chemical ingredients help me. I also advise you not to do lasers. There is a great risk that you will get worse.

I find relief in natural things and I think that only they are effective for me. Normal cosmetic creams only make the condition worse.
    Saying that "western medicine has nothing to offer" is a ridiculous claim.
    Organic/"natural" ingredients are not always better for skin than synthetic/chemical ingredients. Many natural ingredients are actually very sensitizing, for example sandalwood: https://www.paulaschoice.com/ingredi...lwood-oil.html

fitforagoodyear,
    welcome to RF.
    You have figured out that treating with multiple treatments can be confusing and it is difficult to know what is working and what is causing side effects or worsening the problem. Trying Soolantra usually takes twelve weeks for clearance but you should see improvement in four weeks if you are suffering from demodectic rosacea. Some are reporting issues using Soolantra's Mechanism of Action & Basis for the Vehicle, which Galderma says is Cetaphil, however, our investigation has discovered that the MOA and Basis for the Vehicle, while similar to Cetaphil, is actually different. Some have reported using horse paste with better success than using Soolantra. A significant number, particularly here in RF, have reported better success using the ZZ cream. You should be aware that It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better when it comes to treatment for demodectic rosacea.

If you do not respond well to treatment for demodex, you may want to read about When Rosacea Resists Standard Therapies.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 5th March 2020 at 09:16 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoverton View Post
    Saying that "western medicine has nothing to offer" is a ridiculous claim.
    https://www.paulaschoice.com/ingredi...lwood-oil.html
    you gave the link to the information on sandalwood oil. And I'm not talking about sandalwood oil (I can't use any oils myself because I have irritation)
    We're talking about Sandawood Chandan powder

it's like you would say that highly processed foods full of chemicals and preservatives are better for us than organic foods.
    You may not know what is good for us and what is not. Man was not created in a laboratory, but comes from nature - he is organic.

Perhaps chemical cosmetics can help if the skin is healthy / normal and has a healthy defense system. If the skin is bad, only organic things will work. Sandawood Chandan powder is a really good option.
    My skin does not tolerate synthetic cosmetics (it used to be different) the exception is the golden ZZ cream but I can't use it for too long (The black new version ZZ is not so good for me anymore, probably due to more chemical ingredients in the base, for example SLS)

This is my suggestion to the author of the post if what he gave him does not help, let him be interested in what I gave.
    Last edited by przemek; 5th March 2020 at 09:26 PM.

Default Rosacea, Papulopustules & Alopecia - Triple Threat

[QUOTE=Brady Barrows;352755]fitforagoodyear,
    A significant number, particularly here in RF, have reported better success using the ZZ cream. You should be aware that It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better when it comes to treatment for demodectic rosacea.

ZZ Cream is my next option. Iíve heard and read a lot about it in the last few weeks. With everything Iíve read Iím almost convinced I suffer from demodex mites. My plan is to do what I can towards that treatment and see how I do. *FingersCrossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fitforagoodyear; 6th March 2020 at 01:49 AM.

Ashley,
    This process can be so difficult but you are on the right path. Feel free to ask any questions here- you will get lots of ideas and responses. Keep us posted about your journey. Don't feel alone- there are thousands of us!

[quote=fitforagoodyear;352758]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    fitforagoodyear,
    A significant number, particularly here in RF, have reported better success using the ZZ cream. You should be aware that It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better when it comes to treatment for demodectic rosacea.

ZZ Cream is my next option. I’ve heard and read a lot about it in the last few weeks. With everything I’ve read I’m almost convinced I suffer from demodex mites. My plan is to do what I can towards that treatment and see how I do. *FingersCrossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you allergic to Lanolin? If so, lanolin is an ingredient in ZZ Cream. It caused another person on this forum serious issues due to a lanolin allergy.

If you have demodex and it sounds like you might, the Soolantra topical will help. It contains 1% Ivermectin an anti-parasitic drug. It can take 12-16 weeks of treatment. Sounds like a good plan to try that.
    It is important to wash your face with at least a gentle cleanser to avoid letting the bio-film build up on the surface. Difficult if the skin is very sensitive, but important to avoid new issues with fungus or bacteria.

I had demodex for decades misdiagnosed as bacterial acne and allergic conjunctivitis. It turned into a raging case of occular rosacea (aka blepharitis demodex) as well as a long term case of Demodicosis also known now as Rosacea Type 2 (P&P).

I took the 2 week oral treatment of 2 once a week doses of Oral Ivermectin (dosage based on body weight) and Oral Metronidazole (250 mg 3 times a day with food, no alcohol until 3 days after treatment ends). This worked for me - still clear at 25+ months. Oral Metronidazole is not just an antibiotic it is also an anti-parasitic drug. Oral Metronidazole works but topical Metronidazole (Metrogel, etc.) does not work. They dipped live demodex mites into a 100% solution of liquid Metronidazole and it did not kill the mites. Both drugs have been around for years and are available as cheap generics. Total cost of treatment with insurance was a $13.03 copay. Cash price of drugs about $52 USD. Treatment based on a proper Medical Study published in the May 2013 International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

Other things that help demodex infections a lot:
    1. DIY Borax Shampoo & Dilute Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. They can get in your hair and scalp hair follicles. They can cause apparent scalp "acne". Not sure if they are a cause of alopecia.

2. DIY Borax Powder + Epsom Salts Bath Soak (wash hair and face with this solution too, soak in pleasantly warm water for 30 minutes)

3. Boric Acid Powder Mask - 1/2 tsp boric acid powder mixed with enough glycerin to make a thin paste.

4. Cliradex Wipes - A little pricey but it helps. Wipe your face after washing at night and in the morning. Contains Tea Tree Oil a known mite killer.

5. Hypochlorous Spray - Kills demodex in the juvenile form. Heyedrate and Occusoft make these very dilute sprays. The chemical is the same as the one produced by the human body in response to a scrape. Spray your face after washing at night. May be used after the Cliradex wipe is dry if using Cliradex.

6. Tea Tree Oil face wash. - Several are available on Amazon and at least one at grocery stores like Kroger. The eye eco Gentle Foaming Tea Tree Eyelid and Face Wash (1%) and the Body Shop are fairly gentle. Desert Essence was a bit drying.

I've never used the ZZ Cream so I can't provide any useful info on that one. It contains Zinc, Sulphur, Boric Acid and Menthol. And Lanolin which can cause issues if you are allergic to it.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 8th March 2020 at 01:46 AM.

[QUOTE=ElaineA;352771]
    Quote Originally Posted by fitforagoodyear View Post

Are you allergic to Lanolin? If so, lanolin is an ingredient in ZZ Cream. It caused another person on this forum serious issues due to a lanolin allergy.
    All very helpful info! Correct me if Iím wrong, but I believe Brady Barrows double checked on the ingredients with Demodex Solutions and I was told the Cosmetic version has lanolin but the Original Ointment does not.

[QUOTE=redvelvet;352786]
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    All very helpful info! Correct me if Iím wrong, but I believe Brady Barrows double checked on the ingredients with Demodex Solutions and I was told the Cosmetic version has lanolin but the Original Ointment does not.
    They both have lanolin. Here is the comparison list.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi