Thread: Genetic basis for rosacea? What should I try next?

Default Genetic basis for rosacea? What should I try next?

Rosacea / rosy cheeks / subtype 1 definitely seems to run in my family. My sister has always had rosy cheeks, though doesn't suffer any symptoms like flushing as I do. One of my cousins has had rosy cheeks for awhile. Strangely enough another cousin and my dad randomly got it a few years ago. All Subtype 1.

Is there any genetic basis for rosacea? If it's in fact caused by genetics, is IPL / v-beam the best way to treat it?

Here's where I'm at: I tried Rhofade and Soolantra together a few years ago, which was a failure because of rebound flushing. I tried Soolantra a month ago on and off about 8 times (once or twice a week), which didn't seem to help or hurt. I tried the Keto diet for a month last year. I recently cut out gluten and dairy for a month. I tried azelaic acid for 2 weeks. So what do you guys think, what should I try next? Here's my list of things:

Horse Paste. Although I tried Rhofade + Soolantra awhile back, the results were difficult to discern due to Rhofade's issue with rebound redness. And although I tried Soolantra more recently, on and off, it didn't seem to make things worse. Maybe worth trying it consistently for a few months?
    -Metrogel
    -ZZ Cream. I tried this for a day and it scared me away. Thinking I might just commit for 30 days and see.
    -Should I try gluten longer or get a celiac test? Alergy test? The fact that this runs in my family makes me wonder if there's some kind of gut issue.

Should I keep trying topicals/diet or go right to laser? Mainly concerned with persistent redness getting worse at this point.

I've wondered this as well. As long as I can remember and when I see old pictures I've always had red cheeks. It would be possible that maybe through diet my whole life I've been eating stuff that is not good. Or maybe even demodex. But I'm not sure I will ever "solve" it.

Currently I upped my LDN dose to 2mg. washing my face with cleansing milk and few drops of TTO. ZZ cream after that and Azelaic Acid in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    I've wondered this as well. As long as I can remember and when I see old pictures I've always had red cheeks. It would be possible that maybe through diet my whole life I've been eating stuff that is not good. Or maybe even demodex. But I'm not sure I will ever "solve" it.

Currently I upped my LDN dose to 2mg. washing my face with cleansing milk and few drops of TTO. ZZ cream after that and Azelaic Acid in the morning
    How you doing on the LDN any benefits? Iíve been all the way up to 4.5 but could not sleep back down to 2.5 I was thinking of maybe dropping down lower. Iíve been on it 4 months with no noticeable effects. I think I felt better at a lower dose .

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    How you doing on the LDN any benefits? Iíve been all the way up to 4.5 but could not sleep back down to 2.5 I was thinking of maybe dropping down lower. Iíve been on it 4 months with no noticeable effects. I think I felt better at a lower dose .
    Personally I think lower is more with LDN. You went up quite quickly with no effects? How do you take LDN? Some people have problems with their stomach so they take LDN in drops or bite the capsules open and leave it on the tongue for a few minutes. I actually do both at the moment. Leave 1.5mg on the tongue and swallow 0.5mg

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    Personally I think lower is more with LDN. You went up quite quickly with no effects? How do you take LDN? Some people have problems with their stomach so they take LDN in drops or bite the capsules open and leave it on the tongue for a few minutes. I actually do both at the moment. Leave 1.5mg on the tongue and swallow 0.5mg
    I have sublingual drops. I was just following the instructions on the leaflet but I left it two weeks or more before going up each time. How long have you been on it ? And have you noticed any benefits or side effects ?

The genetic theory has been around for a very long time, being just one of a growing list.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

No one in my family has it, and I got it along with seborrheic dermatitis when I as 27 - now 32. It sucks.

Beherenow,
    Using Soolantra, horsepaste, or topical ivermectin takes 90 to 120 days for clearance so you didnít come close.

You might want to investigate oral ivermectin which has been discussed by ElaineA and others here at RF.

You might want to consider reducing sugar/carbohydrate which is a rosacea trigger.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi