Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you Flush every Evening at the Same Time ?

Question [Photo] Do you Flush every Evening at the Same Time ?

Photos of my evening flush (principally nose) :

I would like to know if some of you have the same symptoms as me.
    I start to wonder if what I really have is rosacea or if it is a completely different disease because Innever had pimples and I never had the impression that my problem was just a skin thing.

In fact, the only thing I always had is intense flushes on the nose and cheeks. I really feel that it is an internal problem and not just a dermatological problem (I almost certain that it is not the demodex).

I have long thought that I may have SIBO or an allergy to histamine or other foods but the fact is I flush even when I eat nothing or that I have an extremely strict diet (gluten-free, without milk, without histamine, etc.).

I flush after meals (especially lunch) and in situations of stress, emotion or sport but my biggest flush occurs in the evening around 6pm. Every evening. Without exception. Accompanied by a feeling of intense fatigue and an impression of very unpleasant hot flash. I really don't know what causes this flush, it happens even when I'm on vacation, with good sleep and even hen I'm not too stressed ... It's like my body is overheating. In general it calms down around 9 p.m.

FYI, I tried a lot of things (vitamins, probiotics, any type of supplement and diet). I also did blood tests and tested for lupus, thyroid, hemoglobin and quite a few other analyzes, all normal.

So, who on this forum flushes every night or has symptoms similar to mine? When I read your testimonials I often feel like I don't have the same thing as you.

(I also have a circulation problem in my hands, they are always cold and they are red or purple. I don't know if it's Raynaud, I don't have the white finger like in Raynaud)
    Last edited by Ryohiku; 11th February 2020 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryohiku View Post

I start to wonder if what I really have is rosacea or if it is a completely different disease because Innever had pimples and I never had the impression that my problem was just a skin thing.

In fact, the only thing I always had is intense flushes on the nose and cheeks. I really feel that it is an internal problem and not just a dermatological problem (I almost certain that it is not the demodex).

I have long thought that I may have SIBO or an allergy to histamine or other foods but the fact is I flush even when I eat nothing or that I have an extremely strict diet (gluten-free, without milk, without histamine, etc.).

I flush after meals (especially lunch) and in situations of stress, emotion or sport but my biggest flush occurs in the evening around 6pm. Every evening. Without exception. Accompanied by a feeling of intense fatigue and an impression of very unpleasant hot flash. I really don't know what causes this flush, it happens even when I'm on vacation, with good sleep and even hen I'm not too stressed ... It's like my body is overheating. In general it calms down around 9 p.m.

FYI, I tried a lot of things (vitamins, probiotics, any type of supplement and diet). I also did blood tests and tested for lupus, thyroid, hemoglobin and quite a few other analyzes, all normal.

So, who on this forum flushes every night or has symptoms similar to mine? When I read your testimonials I often feel like I don't have the same thing as you.

(I also have a circulation problem in my hands, they are always cold and they are red or purple. I don't know if it's Raynaud, I don't have the white finger like in Raynaud)
    I think a lot of people on here have the same symptoms and agree they seem to be related to rosacea but not the "typical" case. The evening flush could be a lot of things- but in general people's body temp spikes in the evening. For a long time I thought it was something I was doing or eating at that time of day but eventually I realized it was just the time of day itself that was the trigger. I do feel like the lighter I eat in the evening, the less intense these "time of day" flushes are. If you poke around this forum you'll find some meds you can try for flushing too.

I have similar symptoms (although also accompanied with more 'traditional' rosacea symptoms). I used to flush after lunch everyday, like clockwork at 2:00PM without fail, then that oddly switched to after dinner for a year or so, before recently switching back to lunch...

Default Afternoon Flushing

Have you ruled out Erythromelagia (EM)?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

The thing that also makes me think of a different disease of rosacea is that my flushes are concentrated on the nose (mainly the upper nose, between the two eyes) while for most of you it is often the cheeks who are most affected.
    Compared to the photos, do some of you think you have the same type of flushes?

I forgot to specify: I often have red patches in the neck, upper back and upper torso at the same time as the facial flushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Have you ruled out Erythromelagia (EM)?
    I did not know this disease. But I don't feel any pain, just a slightly unpleasant feeling of warmth. Erythromelagia appears to cause severe pain.

After all the research I have done, the 3 diseases that seem to me the most plausible are:
    - neurologic rosacea
    - mast cell activation syndrome
    - carcinoid syndrome (I did the urine test, I'm waiting for the results this week ...)

After all the research I have done, the 3 diseases that seem to me the most plausible are:
    - neurologic rosacea
    - mast cell activation syndrome
    - carcinoid syndrome (I did the urine test, I'm waiting for the results this week ...)
    Looks like you have done your research. Here is a more exhaustive list for your consideration if you want more, and don't forget the variants of rosacea. I haven't seen mast cell activation syndrome (what papers do you have for this one?).
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th February 2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Looks like you have done your research. Here is a more exhaustive list for your consideration if you want more, and don't forget the variants of rosacea. I haven't seen mast cell activation syndrome (what papers do you have for this one?).

Wow, the list goes on ... Lots of illnesses that I have never heard of. You who seem to have experience, would you have an opinion on the cause of my symptoms?

for mast cell, I just read that it could give flushes and redness.

EDIT :

I have just received the results of my 5-HIAA. Perfectly normal. So normally I don't have a carcinoid tumor. it is a delivery and at the same time a disappointment ... I still do not know what I have ...
    Last edited by Ryohiku; 12th February 2020 at 05:10 PM.

I get something a bit similar. My peak times are around 2-3pm - when in the office, and around 8pm in the evening, particularly after food. And it's pretty much just my nose too.

My triggers are heat/humidity, which is the main one. But also sport (but only sometimes), and hot (temperature) foods especially soup. Also, sitting down can be an issue. I can also get it lying down - so going to bed can cause it to happen, but it calms down after a while and in the morning it's fine.

I'm learning to manage it. At work I've all but beaten my afternoon flush simply by having a desk fan blowing on me most of the afternoon. The evenings are more tricky, but I find eating less hot soupy/stewy foods has helped. And getting up and walking around, and splashing water on my face if I feel a flush coming on. Prevention is definitely better than cure; once a flush has taken hold I often have to wait it out for a while (hours?) for it to go, but if I can prevent it from happening I can go all day flush free.

I also take 22.5mg of mirtazapine in the evenings. I'm only partially convinced that this has helped; starting taking it seemed to coincide with a good spell, stopping it coincided with it getting worse, and starting it again coincided with it getting a bit better again. But this problem ebbs and flows of its own accord too, so I can't be sure. It's definitely worse in the winter, which I assume is to do with central heating, and having more fluctuating temperatures throughout the day; going from cold to hot particularly. In the summer time it is much less of a problem, but I do still have to manage it and be vigilant on what I eat and avoid being trapped in a hot stuffy place.

It's exhausting to manage, but I'm just about on top of it. Most of the time.

Good luck

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff1; 18th February 2020 at 10:53 PM.

Wow, the list goes on ... Lots of illnesses that I have never heard of. You who seem to have experience, would you have an opinion on the cause of my symptoms?
    No. I have done a lot of investigation into rosacea but can't offer an opinion on what you may be suffering from. As you have pointed out the list of differential diagnosis of other skin diseases that present with erythema is quite extensive and the list keeps growing. Wish I could be of more help but, don't give up, keep searching and you will find.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi