Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Diet?

Default Vegan Diet?

I just read the article in Science Daily posted by RSS News Bot about how reducing dietary levels of the amino acid methionine could slow the progression of inflammatory and autoimmune disorders. Methionine is most prevalent in chicken and fish, red meat/dairy/eggs secondarily. Which leads me to the question: are any of you vegans? Do vegans often have inflammatory or autoimmune disorders? My diet is fairly vegetarian with daily chicken and red meat maybe once a month or so. As I've mentioned before, I've had rosacea for 20 years with a very slow progression and only in the past few years have I developed subtype II. Definitely demodex related, but I'm wondering if the progression was slow due to diet. I also know that if I were to fast for a day or two my symptoms would improve drastically. I'd be curious to hear others' experiences with this! Yet another rosacea mystery....

Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    I just read the article in Science Daily posted by RSS News Bot about how reducing dietary levels of the amino acid methionine could slow the progression of inflammatory and autoimmune disorders. Methionine is most prevalent in chicken and fish, red meat/dairy/eggs secondarily. Which leads me to the question: are any of you vegans? Do vegans often have inflammatory or autoimmune disorders? My diet is fairly vegetarian with daily chicken and red meat maybe once a month or so. As I've mentioned before, I've had rosacea for 20 years with a very slow progression and only in the past few years have I developed subtype II. Definitely demodex related, but I'm wondering if the progression was slow due to diet. I also know that if I were to fast for a day or two my symptoms would improve drastically. I'd be curious to hear others' experiences with this! Yet another rosacea mystery....
    in your case the flushing or the bumps would improve with fasting?

I know vegans with rosacea. Also had a friend who was vegan but has had to come off due to becoming ill.
    When I tried it I got really ill and my nails snapped off. I don’t think my stomach can absorb enough from the veg and fruit. In fact it’s veg and fruit that gives me the most amount of ibs .

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    I know vegans with rosacea. Also had a friend who was vegan but has had to come off due to becoming ill.
    When I tried it I got really ill and my nails snapped off. I don’t think my stomach can absorb enough from the veg and fruit. In fact it’s veg and fruit that gives me the most amount of ibs .
    I actually developed rosacea suddenly after being on a strict vegan diet for a year. I was very ill and bloated all the time. I have been tested for SIBO and I also have ibs. I don't think the high amounts of vegetables, fruits and meat substitutes were helping me at all.

I flush a lot less when I have red meat for my lunch or dinner.

[QUOTE=owldog;352456]I actually developed rosacea suddenly after being on a strict vegan diet for a year. I was very ill and bloated all the time. I have been tested for SIBO and I also have ibs. I don't think the high amounts of vegetables, fruits and meat substitutes were helping me at all.

I flush a lot less when I have red meat for my lunch or dinner.[/QUOTEZ

Rosacea is SO CRAZY. So reducing methionine decreases inflammation for some people, I guess is a better way to put it. For others, it seems to make it worse. The only thing I know for sure is if I don't eat anything for a day or two (like if I've had the flu) my symptoms pretty much disappear, which is how I know has to be gut related even though my food allergy testing was all negative. But then it's also due to demodex, because at the moment my rosacea is 100% GONE due to ZZ cream. It's also interesting that people have developed rosacea after becoming vegan. Personally I think humans are supposed to have a varied diet including meat, but there is a large push towards people becoming vegans (the impossible burger?). I do know that cutting out sugar seemed to help a lot initially with my symptoms, and I've pretty much lost the desire to eat anything sweet because I don't want to cause a flare up. Have most of you also tried cutting out sugar?

Rosacea is SO CRAZY. So reducing methionine decreases inflammation for some people, I guess is a better way to put it. For others, it seems to make it worse. The only thing I know for sure is if I don't eat anything for a day or two (like if I've had the flu) my symptoms pretty much disappear, which is how I know has to be gut related even though my food allergy testing was all negative. But then it's also due to demodex, because at the moment my rosacea is 100% GONE due to ZZ cream. It's also interesting that people have developed rosacea after becoming vegan. Personally I think humans are supposed to have a varied diet including meat, but there is a large push towards people becoming vegans (the impossible burger?). I do know that cutting out sugar seemed to help a lot initially with my symptoms, and I've pretty much lost the desire to eat anything sweet because I don't want to cause a flare up. Have most of you also tried cutting out sugar?
    I'm so happy your symptoms have gone due to the ZZ cream. I've actually placed an order and hopefully going to try it out soon. Did you your skin get worse before it got better? I'm scared about the purge bit as I don't want it to get any worse. I don't really have many bumps, mostly redness from flushing and a lot of pain and sensitivity. But it does also get very itchy at night which never used to happen before.

For me I'm really not sure if diet has a big impact. I have virtually cut out all processed sugar and I'm on a low carb diet, don't eat after 6.30pm and intermittently fast every day. The fasting helps up until a point when I actually get more flushed from being hungry. I've always had a reasonably healthy diet but unfortunately I'm still flushing through the night. Although I now wonder how much worse I would be if I still ate sugary foods.
    Last edited by owldog; 14th February 2020 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by owldog View Post
    I'm so happy your symptoms have gone due to the ZZ cream. I've actually placed an order and hopefully going to try it out soon. Did you your skin get worse before it got better? I'm scared about the purge bit as I don't want it to get any worse. I don't really have many bumps, mostly redness from flushing and a lot of pain and sensitivity. But it does also get very itchy at night which never used to happen before.

For me I'm really not sure if diet has a big impact. I have virtually cut out all processed sugar and I'm on a low carb diet, don't eat after 6.30pm and intermittently fast every day. The fasting helps up until a point when I actually get more flushed from being hungry. I've always had a reasonably healthy diet but unfortunately I'm still flushing through the night. Although I now wonder how much worse I would be if I still ate sugary foods.
    I was very worried about getting worse before it got better, but for me it only got better. However, I was coming off a two week period of doing only coconut oil with a drop of TTO mixed in, so that caused a lot of die off, I believe. I did that while waiting for the cream to arrive. It had been so bad, I figured I might as well get started on attacking the demodex. I had clear signs of demodex: itchy eyes, small painful bumps along my hairline, enlarged pores, itching/crawling feeling on my face at night. I hope it works for you- as others have mentioned, there may also be a component of it that works just for redness, not just for demodex. It's hard to predict, but you won't know until you try. Some things I do now which help a lot with flushing: B2 and magnesium. Also studies show rosaceans are low in zinc. Heavy metal detoxes and cleanses can be helpful. After doing these, I was able to stop using my inhaler which I think was also contributing to my symptoms.
    Good luck! Keep us posted!

Also studies show rosaceans are low in zinc.
    "In a double-blind study, zinc supplements decreased the rosacea severity by about 75%. Long-term zinc users should also take a copper supplement to prevent deficiency. In a double-blind study, supplementing with zinc (23 mg three times per day for three months) decreased the severity of rosacea by about 75%, whereas no improvement occurred in the placebo group."

"Zinc sulfate was found to be a good option in the treatment of rosacea, as it was safe, effective and lacking important side-effects."

"Studies on zinc supplementation in rosacea have produced conflicting results. While one trial noted significant improvement with 100 mg of zinc sulfate three times a day, another found no difference in improvement after 90 days of 220 mg of zinc sulfate twice a day."

"To date, no evidence is available to suggest that zinc may be of benefit in rosacea and psoriasis; however, limited data are available evaluating the use of zinc in these conditions."

Source > scroll down to zinc in this post
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

I do know that cutting out sugar seemed to help a lot initially with my symptoms, and I've pretty much lost the desire to eat anything sweet because I don't want to cause a flare up. Have most of you also tried cutting out sugar?
    There are a substantial number of anecdotal reports that cutting out sugar/carbohydrate improves rosacea. This is because sugar/carbohydrate is the fuel that burns the fire. However, most rosaceans will not give up sugar since it is an addiction. Many vegans continue to eat a substantial amount of high fructose corn syrup and other forms of sugar in their diet which usually is a high carbohydrate diet.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    There are a substantial number of anecdotal reports that cutting out sugar/carbohydrate improves rosacea. This is because sugar/carbohydrate is the fuel that burns the fire. However, most rosaceans will not give up sugar since it is an addiction. Many vegans continue to eat a substantial amount of high fructose corn syrup and other forms of sugar in their diet which usually is a high carbohydrate diet.
    You are so right, and a high-carb diet is really lacking in a lot of the minerals and amino acids that rosaceans are often deficient in. I'm looking into self-tests that we can do at home to assess possible mineral deficiencies. Not sure if there is such a thing!