Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a decent sunscreen that does NOT irritate

Default Looking for a decent sunscreen that does NOT irritate

The sunscreen I normally use seems to have started irritating my face and causing baseline pinkness to become much more red.

I've been using Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced SPF 50 and while it can be ok at times, I'm still recovering from Vbeam with light pinkness on my face. This product is absolutely exasperating things, and I washed it off yesterday and applied alcohol-free aloe vera. Within 30 minutes my skin was calmer.

I'm looking for a new sunscreen to use on the face but cannot find a good one. I was initially excited by the positivity surrounding Dr Andrew Birnie's Altruist sunscreen, with the claim that there's no white cast, that it's cheap, that it's approved by dermatologists like Dr Dray, that some of the proceeds go to charity etc etc...

But reading the reviews on Amazon seems to show that many of these claims are false if not misleading. The product clearly leaves a white cast and pills up, and has been burning people's faces.

The 1 star reviews are in the minority, but then I would think most of the customers who bought this product are not dealing with rosacea or PIE following laser.

My skin is very sensitive right now, and even a moisteriser I'd used for years without a problem recently burned my face badly - so badly, that it seems to have set back my Vbeam healing and created new red patches.

I know Dr Bernie thinks the world of his product and apparently so do his friends and colleagues... but I'm not convinced and not willing to waste any more money on crap products.

Here's the link to some of the one star reviews, by the way..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...ews-filter-bar
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

I just remembered that CeraVe do a Sunscreen I might try. I already have their moisterising cream (although I've barely used that).

Has anyone else used CeraVe products and do they irritate you?
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

Hi there

This is a really tough ask as everyone's skin is different. In fact, I often feel like my own skin is different from my OWN skin depending on the month -- that is, sometimes a product works absolutely fine for me and a few months later it might start irritating my skin. I think unfortunately a lot of it is trial and error and my biggest recommendation is try to get free samples from your derm or chemist and/or buy products from CVS and use the returns policy.

Having said all that, for the past 12 months I have been using RESIST Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30, which is a tinted suncreen. It worked quite well for my skin, but was always a touch drying for me. I have very recently switched to EltaMD UV Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41 - Tinted, which I think is already an improvement on the Paula's Choice product but it is still early days so I hesitate to recommend it.

Personally, I prefer to use a very lightly tinted sunscreen as it helps to camouflage the redness a little, but more importantly it avoids the whole white cast situation.

Lastly, yes, I've used the CeraVe AM Facial Moisturising Lotion with Sunscreen (SPF30+) and it reacted nicely with my skin at first, but after about 4 days it broke me out in P&Ps -- I think my skin does not like the niacinamide in it.

Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    I just remembered that CeraVe do a Sunscreen I might try. I already have their moisterising cream (although I've barely used that).

Their day cream with spf stay away from. Itís irritating and almost impossible to wash off.
    Better going for physical sunscreen. Iíve yet to find one . But then Iím struggling to even wash
    My skin at the moment. Finca is the closest Iíve got but itís a bit to greasy for me.

Hi All
    Any update on sunscreens ? did you manage to find a good one to use .I am based in the UK but really struggling to find a sunscreens that does not irritate and make me redder
    Thanks
    MD

Quote Originally Posted by mirradodga View Post
    Hi All
    Any update on sunscreens ? did you manage to find a good one to use .I am based in the UK but really struggling to find a sunscreens that does not irritate and make me redder
    Thanks
    MD
    Iíve not found one yet Iím just using a hat at the moment.

Hi All
    Thanks
    MD

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Ok thanks, I wear a hat but does not really shield whole face /nose/cheek area

I google and two that keep being mentioned are EltaMD UV Pure Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 47 and La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50. Has anyone used/had success with either

Warmer weather will be here soon and getting desperate

Thanks
    MD

Ok thanks, I wear a hat but does not really shield whole face /nose/cheek area

I google and two that keep being mentioned are EltaMD UV Pure Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 47 and La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50. Has anyone used/had success with either

Warmer weather will be here soon and getting desperate

Thanks
    MD
    I've probably spent the best part of £1000 over the time on trying to find a sun screen that I don't react to and never found one. The La Roche Posay one doesn't work for me. I've not tried the Elta one but I doubt it would either. I must have tried 15-20 high quality ones. As others have said, the hat is the best thing for me, but because my ears are impacted more than the cheeks perhaps the hat is more useful to me. I would say that people often find dietary changes improve the ability not to burn so easily, and I've certainly found that - reducing sugar, no wheat, no rice - that is far more effective to stop me burning than sun screen, and others have commented the same in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post

I'm personally not a fan of cerave- used for many years out of desperation but then I did some research about moisturizers and realized it was actually making things worse due to the petrochemicals. I wrote a brief article about petrochemicals (the mineral oil or petroleum found in most sunscreens and moisturizers) here https://rosaceahelp.org/2020/02/12/petrochemicals/ and it's been a great learning experience. I just tried two new sunblocks and both working very well for me, but my rosacea has pretty much "resolved" so I can't say if they would have been ok last summer. However, a friend with rosacea on his nose has been using the ABC Baby one with no problems whatsoever. I'd be curious to see how you all do if you try either of these. These two brands don't have parabens, petrochemicals or fillers so they are on the right track! The Coola brand has mineral based organic facial one that I liked- SPF 30. They also have a tinted one but I haven't used that- baby steps here. The other one I used I had to apply more often (on vacation in full sun) but it's made for babies and not irritating AT ALL. It's ABC Baby SPF 30. Good luck!