Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a decent sunscreen that does NOT irritate

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I've probably spent the best part of £1000 over the time on trying to find a sun screen that I don't react to and never found one. The La Roche Posay one doesn't work for me. I've not tried the Elta one but I doubt it would either. I must have tried 15-20 high quality ones. As others have said, the hat is the best thing for me, but because my ears are impacted more than the cheeks perhaps the hat is more useful to me. I would say that people often find dietary changes improve the ability not to burn so easily, and I've certainly found that - reducing sugar, no wheat, no rice - that is far more effective to stop me burning than sun screen, and others have commented the same in the past.
    Could not agree with you more. Sugar=inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of cerave- used for many years out of desperation but then I did some research about moisturizers and realized it was actually making things worse due to the petrochemicals. I wrote a brief article about petrochemicals (the mineral oil or petroleum found in most sunscreens and moisturizers) here https://rosaceahelp.org/2020/02/12/petrochemicals/ and it's been a great learning experience. I just tried two new sunblocks and both working very well for me, but my rosacea has pretty much "resolved" so I can't say if they would have been ok last summer. However, a friend with rosacea on his nose has been using the ABC Baby one with no problems whatsoever. I'd be curious to see how you all do if you try either of these. These two brands don't have parabens, petrochemicals or fillers so they are on the right track! The Coola brand has mineral based organic facial one that I liked- SPF 30. They also have a tinted one but I haven't used that- baby steps here. The other one I used I had to apply more often (on vacation in full sun) but it's made for babies and not irritating AT ALL. It's ABC Baby SPF 30. Good luck!
    So what’s your current regime Washing and moisturising ? I’m still using Cerave out of desperation. Do you think a Cerave is bad for Rosacea and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?
    Are you still on LDN if so what dosage?
    Also I’m thinking of cutting rice. I’ve cut sugar and I’m on a hospital elimination diet.
    And my guts have been terrible but then you start off on everything rice based l
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 13th February 2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    So whatís your current regime Washing and moisturising ? Iím still using Cerave out of desperation. Do you think a Cerave is bad for Rosacea and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?
    Are you still on LDN if so what dosage?
    Also Iím thinking of cutting rice. Iíve cut sugar and Iím on a hospital elimination diet.
    And my guts have been terrible but then you start off on everything rice based l
    I was never on LDN. Metrogel never worked for me and I never wanted to try the stronger ones. I would have tried Soolantra if it had ever been offered to me, seeing as that was probably my issue all along. I am only using ZZ cream (very watered down- still on original tub) and Calm moisturizer. I don't use cleanser because I don't wear makeup. Less stuff on my face =better. In the AM just Calm moisturizer. I do think Cerave was probably bad for me, looking back, but I didn't know any better. It was what the derms told me to use! For seborrhea dermatitis I would recommend the the ZZ shampoo or Nizoral or adding TTO to your shampoo, but I never had a real issue with that, was just starting to notice it around my forehead hairline. It's gone now, though. I'm glad you've cut sugar. That was huge for me. Rice is generally a very safe food for most people. When did the gut issues start for you?

Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    I was never on LDN. Metrogel never worked for me and I never wanted to try the stronger ones. I would have tried Soolantra if it had ever been offered to me, seeing as that was probably my issue all along. I am only using ZZ cream (very watered down- still on original tub) and Calm moisturizer. I don't use cleanser because I don't wear makeup. Less stuff on my face =better. In the AM just Calm moisturizer. I do think Cerave was probably bad for me, looking back, but I didn't know any better. It was what the derms told me to use! For seborrhea dermatitis I would recommend the the ZZ shampoo or Nizoral or adding TTO to your shampoo, but I never had a real issue with that, was just starting to notice it around my forehead hairline. It's gone now, though. I'm glad you've cut sugar. That was huge for me. Rice is generally a very safe food for most people. When did the gut issues start for you?
    I’ve had ibs and diverticular disease for 20 years but think it’s all from having to many antibiotics as a kid.
    I stupidly believed a doctor and took an oral antibiotic for a stye. This triggered Gastritis followed by another cock ups with antibiotics made thinks worse. I lost 4 stone in weight. Amy skin has gone supper dry and fragile. All treatments seem really harsh for rosacea. I’m back on soolantra because at least that’s moisturising. My main problem seems to be veg and fruit. Plus I get burning in my mouth after eating but it’s not acid reflux it’s almost like an allergic reaction or oral flushing. Which Calm Moisturiser do you use is it perfumed I have seriously dry skin. Only cream Derms suggest is Cerave. My skin doesn’t like perfume.
    Sorry the LDN question was for antwantsclear
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 13th February 2020 at 09:59 PM.

I need recommendations for a physical sunscreen only.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced SPF 50 is a mixture of chemical and physical, but it irritates me so badly. I'm wearing it now, having had to put it on to go out today in the sun. The parts of my face that are still healing from my laser get very irritated, while parts of my skin that did not receive laser treatment last time, or have already healed, are fine.

I'm considering this "old" version of Cerave's sunscreen which can still be bought on Amazon. As far as I can tell, there's no chemicals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...WDBH3ZLU5&th=1
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

Default Some experience

My skin is reactive, very pale (when calm) on the dry side with seb derm, so I've tried some sunscreens. The following do not irritate but all of them have cons. On flaky skin sunscreens might look terrible and even if they don't irritate later on when you have to rub a cleanser to remove them it'll agitate skin. Here's some that I've tried:
    A-derma face fluid - leaves a white cast
    Avene fluide mineral- white cast, oily
    Elta MD - dried my skin so badly just for two days, which consequently led to irritation)
    Uriage Roseliane spf 30- tinted one, much darker for my skin (Rosacea line)
    Korff - fragranced (exacerbated seborrheic dermatitis, think it was a mixture of mineral and chemical factors)
    Bioderma Photoderm AR - tinted but OK for fair skin, doesn't sink in skin, if rubbed after application, it just peels off (Rosacea line)

The following caused irritation and most probably so due to octocrylene in them:
    Cerave moisturising lotion spf 25 (chemical factor)
    Avene antorougeurs jour, spf 20 (greenish hue for rosacea skin)
    Anthelios La Roche Posay spf 50
    Hope this helps. I'm still looking for something better; for the time being I stick to Bioderma Photoderm AR, although application is difficult. OK-ish. I was thinking of trying an spf powder but this could be drying and difficult to apply too.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    I need recommendations for a physical sunscreen only.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced SPF 50 is a mixture of chemical and physical, but it irritates me so badly. I'm wearing it now, having had to put it on to go out today in the sun. The parts of my face that are still healing from my laser get very irritated, while parts of my skin that did not receive laser treatment last time, or have already healed, are fine.

I'm considering this "old" version of Cerave's sunscreen which can still be bought on Amazon. As far as I can tell, there's no chemicals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...WDBH3ZLU5&th=1
    Finca sunscreen is a pure mineral sunscreen with minimal ingredients. It is tinted though which might not be what you want? It has been my life saver for the past year and a half.