Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Protopic magical for swelling

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Do you use the topical or.. ?
    It would be nice to know if Daviddml took Protopic topically or orally?

Here is a caution to consider:

"However, previous case reports have demonstrated an association between granulomatous rosacea (GR) and topical tacrolimus use." Source

It is good that Daviddml has pointed out a benefit of using Tacrolimus to reduce swelling. The question is this a short term benefit or a long term? Also, if other anecdotal reports confirm this?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 30th January 2020 at 03:52 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    It would be nice to know if Daviddml took Protopic topically or orally?

Here is a caution to consider:

"However, previous case reports have demonstrated an association between granulomatous rosacea (GR) and topical tacrolimus use." Source

It is good that Daviddml has pointed out a benefit of using Tacrolimus to reduce swelling. The question is this a short term benefit or a long term? Also, if other anecdotal reports confirm this?
    Protopic is a topical form of Tacrolimus. There are reports on the lympedema forum inspire.com of people using it to shrink edema of their arms etc. It also doesn't just shrink the edema but repairs the lymphatic system in the skin to stop edema returning. This of course is an off licence use of the drug as it was created to treat atopic dermatitis.
    Protopic has been out a long time, 20 years, but this property was only discovered 2017.
    Last edited by redtere; 30th January 2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    Protopic is a topical form of Tacrolimus. There are reports on the lympedema forum inspire.com of people using it to shrink edema of their arms etc. It also doesn't just shrink the edema but repairs the lymphatic system in the skin to stop edema returning. This of course is an off licence use of the drug as it was created to treat atopic dermatitis.
    Protopic has been out a long time, 20 years, but this property was only discovered 2017.
    Thanks. Topical Calcineurin Inhibitors like tacrolimus are not without side effects and risks. Because the majority of them act non-selectively, the immune system loses its ability to successfully resist infections and spreading of malignant cells. There are also other side effects like hypertension, dyslipidemia, hyperglycemia, peptic ulcers, liver and kidney injury, not to mention how demodex react to tracolimus. The immunosuppressive drugs also interact with other medicines and affect their metabolism and action. However, for short term it may relieve edema. Tacrolimus is used to treat steroid induced rosacea, so obviously it must have a place in the treatment of rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

I am using Protopic just once a week now, as a maintenance. The swelling has completely gone but now another benefit has happened, all redness is gone completely in-between flushes. So now when I flush I turn red for around 2 hours but no swelling. Then my face turns back to normal color, you couldn't even tell I have Rosacea now in between flushes. This is much easier to deal with.

Another tip I have read from people using Protopic is putting it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before use. Why would you do this?.. because it can cause slight burning/stinging when used and pre-cooling stops this side effect and makes it tolerant for even sensitive skin.

"Precooling topical calcineurin inhibitors tube; reduces burning sensation"
    https://escholarship.org/uc/item/1s72g865

Quote Originally Posted by Davvidml View Post
    I am using Protopic just once a week now, as a maintenance. The swelling has completely gone but now another benefit has happened, all redness is gone completely in-between flushes. So now when I flush I turn red for around 2 hours but no swelling. Then my face turns back to normal color, you couldn't even tell I have Rosacea now in between flushes. This is much easier to deal with.

Another tip I have read from people using Protopic is putting it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before use. Why would you do this?.. because it can cause slight burning/stinging when used and pre-cooling stops this side effect and makes it tolerant for even sensitive skin.

I truly hope it works long-term for you!
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Thanks for the update on your progress- hope it continues to work for you.

Yeah, thanks for posting about your experience.

Recently a derm brought up possibility of trying elidel (similar topical). I asked him how this is different from protopic (I didn't even bring up protopic) and he said elidel has reputation for less burning on application.

I know there are pros/cons of these treatment decisions. I am not saying I'm going to try it, just putting the info out there.

I have stopped using the protopic now, just under a week ago. Not suffered any withdrawal effects or rebound since stopping it. Don't think I'll need to use it again as the swelling has completely stopped, even when I get flushing. My Rosacea is in now what seems to be called the 'pre-rosacea' stage. Flushing which causes bright redness for around 2 hours, and then my skin goes to completely normal color until I get the next flush. Getting rid of the swelling has stopped my skin staying red in between the flushes. Basically I just have a transient flushing only disorder now with no permanent redness or any other symptoms.
    Last edited by Davvidml; 21st February 2020 at 12:06 PM.

I have stopped using the protopic now, just under a week ago. Not suffered any withdrawal effects or rebound since stopping it. Don't think I'll need to use it again as the swelling has completely stopped, even when I get flushing. My Rosacea is in now what seems to be called the 'pre-rosacea' stage. Flushing which causes bright redness for around 2 hours, and then my skin goes to completely normal color until I get the next flush. Getting rid of the swelling has stopped my skin staying red in between the flushes. Basically I just have a transient flushing only disorder now with no permanent redness or any other symptoms.
    Hi,
    How are you getting on now? I am so interested in trying Protopic for swelling.
    Molly

Hi, Molly here. Am going to try the Protopic. I will take it slowly and post an update on my progress re. reduction in swelling