Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protopic magical for swelling

Quote Originally Posted by Davvidml View Post
    I didn't look into scientifically how it was working. That report says it facilitates the formation of new lymphatic vessels, prevents development of lymphedema and can reverse pathologic changes once lymphedema is established.
    It did sting a bit for the first week I used it, now that has stopped, people who have eczema say the same. The thing is with my cheeks getting bigger, I don't even care about the redness. I just want my skin not to thicken and disfigure. I can deal with the redness easily compared to that, and this has been a life saver.
    Now I just turn red the same amount as before but no swelling.
    Iím really interested in this as residual swelling is my biggest issue now. My stinging and burning is a lot better with Duloxetine controlling the nerve pain but my face is just swollen in certain areas all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof View Post
    Iím really interested in this as residual swelling is my biggest issue now. My stinging and burning is a lot better with Duloxetine controlling the nerve pain but my face is just swollen in certain areas all the time.
    Hey Momof,

could you tell me what currently works for you? diet, supplements, medication, do's/don'ts

I would appreciate that very much.

Starting yesterday I am now using Protopic once a day instead of twice a day. The swelling is gone and now I'm going to taper off over the next three weeks. Next week, applying it once every other day, the week after two days a week and then once a week. Basically following the same protocol the eczema users do.
    It's strange when I flush now because even though I turn run it doesn't swell and feels different in my cheeks. My Rosacea itself is no better or worse but my face is normal in size and when I don't flush I look normal. So yes I still have rosacea but really, really relieved with this as turning red for me is nothing compared to the swelling /skin thickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Davvidml View Post
    Starting yesterday I am now using Protopic once a day instead of twice a day. The swelling is gone and now I'm going to taper off over the next three weeks. Next week, applying it once every other day, the week after two days a week and then once a week. Basically following the same protocol the eczema users do.
    It's strange when I flush now because even though I turn run it doesn't swell and feels different in my cheeks. My Rosacea itself is no better or worse but my face is normal in size and when I don't flush I look normal. So yes I still have rosacea but really, really relieved with this as turning red for me is nothing compared to the swelling /skin thickening.
    I think your experience raises a broader point about rosacea really, which is that the different components need quite different treatments, and it can be hard to find the right combination sometimes to keep all aspects of the condition under control. Similarly to Protopic, low dose accutane can be helpful for the swelling component, but carries the risk of worsening the flushing for some people.

I'm sorry to say it, but one has to be crazy to use Protopic. It ruins lives. I guarantee there are ways around your problem without resorting to Tacrolimus. You have to put in the work in order to find what works for you. It took me 3 - 4 years, weekends in solitude and about 250 hours of reading to find my solution, which ended up being the Chinese (in ZZ Cream), whom I had written off initially due to scepticism and our unfortunate ingrained fear of the East.

I still have my tube of Protopic as a memento.
    Last edited by RedRecluse; 29th January 2020 at 07:54 PM.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    I'm sorry to say it, but one has to be crazy to use Protopic. It ruins lives. I guarantee there are ways around your problem without resorting to Tacrolimus. You have to put in the work in order to find what works for you. It took me 3 - 4 years, weekends in solitude and about 250 hours of reading to find my solution, which ended up being the Chinese (in ZZ Cream), whom I had written off initially due to scepticism and our unfortunate ingrained fear of the East.

I still have my tube of Protopic as a memento.
    That's the thing about Rosacea, it's different for everyone. Lots on here, mainly type 1 who have never had a pimple, get worsening redness/flushing using ZZ cream and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. It seems to help type 2 though. According to that medical journal tacrolimus is the first discovered and only proven medicine to treat lympedema, which causes phyma in Rosacea.

its individual yes. I've read on other threads that even horsepaste can help type 1 people

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    That's the thing about Rosacea, it's different for everyone. Lots on here, mainly type 1 who have never had a pimple, get worsening redness/flushing using ZZ cream and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. It seems to help type 2 though. According to that medical journal tacrolimus is the first discovered and only proven medicine to treat lympedema, which causes phyma in Rosacea.
    That's a given. And there's as much proof here that it helps many Type 1 sufferers too.

If ZZ Cream doesn't help one's Type 1, then I recommend trying the cosmetic version, AKA DemoDerm.

All part of finding what works for each individual.

There is no "seems" about it, please update your vocabulory to reflect the facts.

The bottom line is that Protopic is evil stuff and people need to go into it with a full understanding of what they're getting into. The initial elation of its effectiveness is completely normal, but extremely short-sighted.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

I'm using this once every other day now, applying it at night. Another interesting thing, the dense firm skin that was thicker on both my cheeks has thinned out and become soft. The volume of the thickness has decreased. It just feels incredibly soft now. For years I was used to it thickened and hard but this is just soft and supple now, I wasn't use to how normal skin should feel on my face.
    Reading about people talking about demodex etc, I never had that, never had pustules and papules just extreme flushing and swelling - edema. I did try Soolantra for around 8 month in 2015 and it made me slightly redder with no affect on the swelling.
    Last edited by Davvidml; 30th January 2020 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    Hey Momof,

could you tell me what currently works for you? diet, supplements, medication, do's/don'ts

I would appreciate that very much.
    Medication-duloxetine for stinging /burning and clonidine for flushing. No special diet except avoiding very hot food.
    Absolute imperative for me is to avoid wind / and sort of breeze so I always wear a ski mask when going outside.