Thread: Difference between V beam- perfecta, candela, prima etc?

Default Difference between V beam- perfecta, candela, prima etc?

Looking through previous posts on the v beam I keep seeing different terms used like candela, perfecta and prima. It's all a bit confusing.

Is there anyone who be so kind to tell me what is the difference between these types, I don't need all the specifications. But would like to know difference in things like cost, what they target, strength, are they different machines or settings etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceK View Post
    Looking through previous posts on the v beam I keep seeing different terms used like candela, perfecta and prima. It's all a bit confusing.

Is there anyone who be so kind to tell me what is the difference between these types, I don't need all the specifications. But would like to know difference in things like cost, what they target, strength, are they different machines or settings etc etc.
    The nutshell version about PDL is that a physician (usually a dermatologist or cosmologist) invests a significant amount of money into machines and then obviously promotes their machines over all the others. The price per session varies among the different locations depending on where you live. If you live in Beverly Hills you know you donít need to ask how much it costs and is of no concern. The sessions are repeated for months, if not years, and you have to keep going back since PDL does not cure rosacea, but if you can afford it, many rave about it, while there are some who say it is not worth it. The one that seems to be the Cadillac of machines is the excelV+ laser. Apparently laser is the ticket if you suffer from Phenotype 3.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog ē Join the RRDi

I've been getting vbeams for 6 years now. I had very severe Rosacea (home bound) and for a few years had treatments every 4 months. Improvement was gradual a little each time. Eventually my doctor got the vbeam perfecta which is an upgrade and improvement was much better. I improved to the point that Rosacea only limits my life if it's over 75 degrees and sun is on my face.I no longer carry a fan with me wherever I go or water to spray on my face. About a year ago the doctor got the prima which is another upgrade. I now get touch up treatments every 6 months and hope to extend that to a year. There are other lasers out there which the doctor uses for different conditions or cosmetic procedures. Some of them were used on me before I started with vbeam but they either did nothing or, in some cases, hurt me.Yes all of this cost me a lot of money but I was able to save up between treatments. I also claimed the treatments on my tax returns and got some of the money back that way.
    I recommend that you do a lot of research on the lasers, and most of all on the doctor you choose for treatment. You can have a great laser, but the person using it needs extensive experience. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceK View Post

Candela is the manufacturer of the Vbeam PDL laser. Simplifying a bit, Perfecta is Vbeam V2 and Prima is Vbeam V3. The Prima is able to delivery more energy. Not many practices have the Prima yet. These are both good lasers for targeting veins if you're working with a skilled dermatologist who is an expert in laser treatment.