Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I took Accutane.... now I don't know what I have HELP

Default I took Accutane.... now I don't know what I have HELP

Hello to everyone, I'm glad I found this forum. Here goes my story:

So when I was a teenager I had a lot of acne. I must say that I am blond, fair-skinned and have blue eyes, and I have often blushed, but only in EXTREMELY embarrassing situations (where most people would blush as well). After years of my acne not going away, my dermatologist prescribed me Accutane. I took 30mg for 9 months. I had severe side effects, my skin, eyes and lips were completely dry, etc. I also started blushing A LOT in minor embarrassing situations and also not embarrassing at all. My right ear also started to get suuuper red in stressful situations.

My dermatologist told me that both the blushing and flushing were a normal side effect, and after 9 months I couldn't be happier to finally finish Accutane. But almost a year later, my flushing and blushing have only gotten more persistent. I went to another dermatologist and he told me I had rosacea. Actually knowing that it was a condition helped me be more kind to myself.

I have seen some pictures and I am wondering if I really have Rosacea or if it's another condition. I do not have pustules, I think it looks like Rosacea I. But when I flush (usually with hot temperatures, alcohol, etc.) only my cheeks and my ears get really red. My nose, forehead and chin do not get red. A lot of times one cheek gets redder, as well as one ear. When my ears flush they get extremely red, but only the cartilaginous part. There are some random weeks when my ears flush, and then some other weeks they do not flush at all. But when I blush because of social interaction, the red pattern is different: usually my face turns completely bright red, including the sides of my nose as well.

I hope someone can help me figure out what I have or share a similar story, I am becoming a bit crazy with these ****ty symptoms. I attach some photos of my cheeks and ears in a flushing episode (note: the dots on my cheeks are not pustules, they are acne scars).

galta.jpg
    orella.jpg
    IMG-7595.jpg
    Last edited by Niña de Fuego; 21st January 2020 at 05:30 PM.

You may need to rule out Accutane induced rosacea since you took 30 mg of Accutane for nine months and read this post. Most positive reports use low dose isotretinoin.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Niña de Fuego View Post
    Hello to everyone, I'm glad I found this forum. Here goes my story:

So when I was a teenager I had a lot of acne. I must say that I am blond, fair skined and have blue eyes, and I have often blushed, but only in EXTREMELY embarrasing situations (where most people would blush as well). After years of my acne not going away, my dermathologist prescribed me Accutane. I took 30mg for 9 months. I had severe side effects, my skin, eyes and lips were completely dry, etc. I also started blushing A LOT in minor embarrasing situations and also not embarrasing at all. My right ear also started to get suuuper red at stressful situations. Because of this, I started to have social anxiety, I felt limited in a lot of situations where I used to be confident.

My dermathologist told me the blushing and flushing were a normal side effect, and after 9 months I couldn't be happier to finally finish Accutane. But almost a year later, my flushing and blushing have only gotten more persistent. I went to another dermathologist and he told me I had rosacea. BTW, I have a twin sister, she also took Accutane and now she has the same blushing problems as me, only that they do not worry her at all (lucky). Anyway, actually knowing that it was a condition helped me be more kind to myself. CBD oil helped my anxiety, as well as exercising, slowly putting myself out there again and propanolol in puntual occasions.

I have seen some pictures and I am wondering if I really have Rosacea or if it's another condition. I do not have pustules, I think it looks like Rosacea I. But when I flush (usually with hot temperatures, alcohol, etc.) only my cheeks and my ears get really red. My nose, forehead and chin do not get red. A lot of times one cheek gets redder, as well as one ear. When my ears flush they get extremely red, but only the cartilaginous part. There are some random weeks when my ears flush, and then some other weeks they do not flush at all. But when I blush because of social interaction, the red pattern is different: usually my face turns completely bright red, including the sides of my nose as well.

I hope someone can help me figure out what I have or share a similar story, I am becoming a bit crazy with these ****ty symptoms. I attach some photos of my cheeks and ears in a flushing episode (note: the dots on my cheeks are not pustules, they are acne scars).

galta.jpg
    orella.jpg
    IMG-7595.jpg
    Ear flushing does seem to be a very common part of accutane induced rosacea, yes. Most people with rosacea only have a mild problem or no problem with ear flushing, but severe ear flushing seems to be reported regularly with accutane induced rosacea.

The best treatment for it is hydroxychloroquine and clonidine or moxonodine.

Zhongzhou cream would also be helpful because the epidermis is impaired through the trauma caused by accutane to the skin, which allows the demodex mites to do damage.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 20th January 2020 at 09:06 PM.

(Sorry I don't know how to delete this )
    Last edited by Niña de Fuego; 21st January 2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    You may need to rule out Accutane induced rosacea since you took 30 mg of Accutane for nine months and read this post. Most positive reports use low dose isotretinoin.
    Okay, I don't quite understand your message... So you are saying that because I took Accutane 30mg, it is impossible that my Rosacea is Accutane induced? Thank you (also thank you for the link, I appreciate the info).

Okay, I don't quite understand your message... So you are saying that because I took Accutane 30mg, it is impossible that my Rosacea is Accutane induced? Thank you (also thank you for the link, I appreciate the info).
    Because you did indeed take 30 mg of Accutane for nine months you may be suffering from Accutane Induced Rosacea (testimonials) which is a valid concern. The current recommended dosage is low dose isotretinoin (5 mg to 10 mg daily), or around 20 mg every other day or 10 mg three times a week (see this post). However, some have chosen to not take Accutane due to the side effects and risks. What has been more popular is Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). Just search through the forum here for LDN (lots of threads).
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 21st January 2020 at 07:05 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

A paper just released concluded, "Drug-induced myositis should be taken into consideration in the differential diagnosis of myopathic syndromes. Retinoids have the potential to cause varying degrees of myositis and their rapid identification could prevent major complications." This was in "a case of 45-year-old male with a history of nephrolithiasis and rosacea diagnosed by dermatology, who was management with isotretinoin 1 mg/kg per day in 2 doses with clinical improvement."
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Because you did indeed take 30 mg of Accutane for nine months you may be suffering from Accutane Induced Rosacea (testimonials) which is a valid concern. The current recommended dosage is low dose isotretinoin (5 mg to 10 mg daily), or around 20 mg every other day or 10 mg three times a week (see this post). However, some have chosen to not take Accutane due to the side effects and risks. What has been more popular is Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). Just search through the forum here for LDN (lots of threads).
    Okay, thank you!!!

Hello again, I wanted to share some updates.

It seems to me that I don't get tomato red from embarrasement as easily as I did during and shortly after accutane. But the (what I believe is) Rosacea "attacks" keep happening. I've noticed that I usually get them in the evening, specially when I'm having an abundant dinner, or a beer, etc. (the normal triggers). But these "attacks" only last for 1-2 hours, and then they go... and they can come and go several times a day. The feeling on my cheeks is similar to when I get sunburned...

I also have circulation problems in my hands, they are always cold, my nails always look blue... this is because my veins in my extremities contract very easily and don't let much blood pass. But then again whenever I have a face flare-up, some patches of my hands (always the same patches) turn bright red, and my hands get red, hot and super blotched, as if suddenly the veins expanded a lot.

I'm wondering if what I have is rosacea, or if I could have experiencing something else, because of the ears, hands... Anyway, thank you!

Hello again, I wanted to share some updates.

It seems to me that I don't get tomato red from embarrasement as easily as I did during and shortly after accutane. But the (what I believe is) Rosacea "attacks" keep happening. I've noticed that I usually get them in the evening, specially when I'm having an abundant dinner, or a beer, etc. (the normal triggers). But these "attacks" only last for 1-2 hours, and then they go... and they can come and go several times a day. The feeling on my cheeks is similar to when I get sunburned...

I also have circulation problems in my hands, they are always cold, my nails always look blue... this is because my veins in my extremities contract very easily and don't let much blood pass. But then again whenever I have a face flare-up, some patches of my hands (always the same patches) turn bright red, and my hands get red, hot and super blotched, as if suddenly the veins expanded a lot.

I'm wondering if what I have is rosacea, or if I could have experiencing something else, because of the ears, hands... Anyway, thank you!
    Have you ruled out Erythromelalgia?
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi