Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZZ cream for Type 1 or am I wasting my time?

Default ZZ cream for Type 1 or am I wasting my time?

I recently tried zz cream last night. It's very strong, made my eyes water, and feels weird / tingles on my skin.

My skin seems slightly worse today. Is it even worth continuing if I have type 1?

There are numerous threads in RF about using the ZZ cream, i.e., this one, and you could probably spend hours reading the different ones. Type in the search box ZZ and notice all the different threads. Many report success with it. But just like all treatments for rosacea, there isn't one treatment that works for EVERYONE, not one.

Recommend when you apply the ZZ cream, you do so at night after washing your face with just water, being careful not to get the cream near your eyes since it usually causes tearing, or if you must apply near the eyes, close your eyes and then after applying the cream, just go to bed, careful not to lay your face on your pillow, until after it dries. In the AM wash the cream off and apply your favorite moisturizer if you have dry skin, and nothing if you have oily skin. It is worth going through this for a month to see if you skin improves. You should know within a month if the ZZ cream is working for you or not. Takes three or four months for clearance.

It clears up phenotype 4 but also works with phenotype 2.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    I recently tried zz cream last night. It's very strong, made my eyes water, and feels weird / tingles on my skin.

My skin seems slightly worse today. Is it even worth continuing if I have type 1?
    I recently shared ZZ cream with a friend who has type 1 rosacea and she did get very red the first week but then it cleared up completely. If ZZ cream is going to work, it will probably get worse before it gets better. I am on day 46 now of ZZ and I must say my redness and even flushing are almost completely gone. my goal was just to get rid of the red marks/pustules (see my original post with pics ) but the ZZ cream has gone way beyond that for me. I also did a gut cleanse and changed my moisturizer to Calm by Arbonne which is all plant based/chemical free and honestly my skin feels and looks better than it did before I even discovered I had rosacea. I feel like Iím a walking commercial for rosacea treatment because no one can believe how clear my skin is in just 1.5 months. There are tricks to the ZZ cream. You must moisturize. You may need to water down the cream. You may need to use 1/day or every other day. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by redvelvet View Post
    I recently shared ZZ cream with a friend who has type 1 rosacea and she did get very red the first week but then it cleared up completely. If ZZ cream is going to work, it will probably get worse before it gets better. I am on day 46 now of ZZ and I must say my redness and even flushing are almost completely gone. my goal was just to get rid of the red marks/pustules (see my original post with pics ) but the ZZ cream has gone way beyond that for me. I also did a gut cleanse and changed my moisturizer to Calm by Arbonne which is all plant based/chemical free and honestly my skin feels and looks better than it did before I even discovered I had rosacea. I feel like I’m a walking commercial for rosacea treatment because no one can believe how clear my skin is in just 1.5 months. There are tricks to the ZZ cream. You must moisturize. You may need to water down the cream. You may need to use 1/day or every other day. Keep us posted!
    The redness caused by ZZ cleared up or she saw improvement in her normal baseline redness? Does she still use it? How long was it worse before better for you?

Is it fine to use once or twice a week from the beginning if I don't have bumps / inflammation?
    Last edited by beherenow; 15th January 2020 at 04:26 AM.

The redness caused by ZZ cleared up or she saw improvement in her normal baseline redness? Does she still use it? How long was it worse before better for you?

Is it fine to use once or twice a week from the beginning if I don't have bumps / inflammation?
    The redness caused by her ZZ cleared up in a few days, then the rosacea redness cleared up in the first week. Then her skin started to feel burned and sensitive so she cut down to every other night and sheís doing fantastic. Sheís been using it for 3 weeks now. For me, I was using a tea tree oil mixture for a week leading up to ZZ so my face was in pretty rough shape with a lot of die- off going on. I think by day 3 or 4 of ZZ my skin looked really clear, and it continued to improve. I used morning and night and now every night and ever other morning.

Itís hard to know what the right program will be for you. Itís different for everyone. My skin loves ZZ but a lot of people are very sensitive to it. I would at least give it a solid week with daily use and see how you react to it. It is also highly recommend to taken vitamin B2 which i think has played a huge roll in my progress. You should spot test the ZZ on your wrist to make sure you are not allergic, and only use a tiny amount. I water mine down at least 50%. Good luck!

Nearly everyone seems to get this effect on the eyes in the first week or so (i.e. a little stinging or tearing) then the eyes seem to be de-sensitised to it, but as Brady says try to keep the ZZ away from the eyes.

Another effect of the ZZ on the eyes that may be longer lasting is potentially to lead to a little puffyness around the eyes - I've noticed this and others have commented on this too. Interested what anyone else has to say about this longer lasting eye effect who has been using ZZ for several months. This is a physical effect, but without the sensation of stinging/burning/tearing.

It Gets Worse Before it Gets Better is usually what happens in any demodectic rosacea treatment, i.e., Soolantra (ivermectin), horse paste, ZZ cream, and others....
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I tried it years ago for two months and more recently again. Made my skin slightly more red and it got worse the longer I used it, also bigger flushes at random times. Can't see how this will help type 1 flushes who have never had papules and pustules.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    I tried it years ago for two months and more recently again. Made my skin slightly more red and it got worse the longer I used it, also bigger flushes at random times. Can't see how this will help type 1 flushes who have never had papules and pustules.
    I too am having trouble with it Iíve had to stop as my skin was getting more sensitive and sore.

Itís too harsh and drying my skin is so dry and thin it cracks.

Iím trying to repair it at the moment.

Maybe winter is not a great time to try it .

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    It reduces the demodex mite population which reduces flushing and redness. But you do need to be careful that it doesn't make the skin too dry or the epidermis will be impaired in which case you'll flush more. That is why there is also a discussion around Zhongzhou around various forms of moisturising - I recommend Skinceuticals Epidermal cream. If I just applied Zhongzhou cream every day in a heavy dose my skin would become too dry and my skin would become worse.

In the end, one cream will not solve complex cases of rosacea - you need to consider medicines; diet and supplements; topical approaches; psychological approaches. It's a difficult condition to treat.