Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honest Reviews

Default Honest Reviews

Donít know about anyone else but Iím tired of news stories of people who have gotten rid of their Rosacea using this or that cream for two weeks. Especially on Instagram then you find these people are given these products free for them to use. The before and after pictures are usually without make up and with make up.

So heís some reviews of a couple of products I have used . Please add any reviews of products aimed at rosacea suffers that have either helped or been a complete waste of time . Maybe it will help other suffers from wasting their money. So cleansers moisturisers makeup sunscreen.

First Review
    Iíd like to review is the KALME range as this has been in the news a lot with claims people have cured themselves of rosacea.
    I was at my worst here and I fell for all the media.
    I gave it a good few months my skin was not made any less sensitive it didnít get rid or help with spots. I can see not using water may help some people but I felt it didnít clean my face.
    I finally cracked and had to wash my face which felt like bliss. All this built up slim came off.
    When I tried to leave a review on their website it never appeared. Also a certain person I followed on Instagram was given some of the product free. Then the story appeared in the News with a picture of her with makeup on claiming it had cured her. But on her latest pics she still has bad rosacea.

Second Review
    Cerave Smoothing face wash. Now this was a surprise Iíd tried the hydrating face wash and this almost helped but irritated my skin. As a gamble in an attempt to help my SD I tried the Smoothing face cleanser.
    I found this gentler than the hydrating one I can also wash around my eyes with it.

Third Review
    The Ordinary, I found these products was ok but two many choices in the range the Azelaic acid not sure if it helped of not their moisturiser was ok. Main complaint is their bottles are way too small ( bigger bottles less repeat packaging and plastic going into landfills) price is good . Did the products help my skin ... no

Moisturiser Review Iíve tried a lot and Iím still struggling to find a good one thatís good for rosacea and SD
    Iím using Cerave moisturising lotion at the moment it keeps my skin hydrated all day. Still on the search but this is the best Iíve found so far.

Sunscreen review This is a massive problem for me Iíve struggled to find a sunscreen period that doesnít irritate me. Iíve just ordered and received today Finca sunscreen. Iíve rubbed it all over my hand so far so Iíll review this later on in the week.

Ruby,
    You have a valid point about fake reviews of rosacea treatments and I wrote a post about this sometime ago. In RF, when a fake review comes in, usually the members can spot it immediately and is flagged. I flagged one recently and apparently the moderators, or possibly David Pascoe himself, have eliminated the fake review since I can't find in in my history of posts. So flagging works here. It is the little black triangle with an exclamation mark in it with the popup REPORT POST which goes to a moderator.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 2nd February 2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Ruby,
    You have a valid point about fake reviews of rosacea treatments and I wrote a post about this sometime ago. In RF, when a fake review comes in, usually the members can spot it immediately and is flagged. I flagged one recently and apparently the moderators, or possibly David Pascoe himself, have eliminated the fake review since I can't find in in my history of posts. So flagging works here.
    It’s not necessary just fake reviews but products that are aimed at rosacea suffers. A lot of reviews on sites are fake now. Even on amazon 2 times I’ve been offered full refund and vouchers if I leave a positive review. I’ve waisted hundreds already. Just thought it would be good to save newbies money and might be helpful to others. If people gave honest reviews about products they have tried pros and cons . Best people to learn from is true suffers not dermatologists or Doctors. You guys have helped me and I’m truly greatful. One thing I have learnt is you can’t trust reviews on most product sites best to listen to actual sufferers.

Default Inkey list

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/b...-list-reviews/

Not sure if anyone has tried this but might give it a go and review it .

https://www.feelunique.com/brands/the-inkey-list?filter=fh_location=//c1/en_GB/brand={a1662}/!exclude_countries%3E{gb}/!site_exclude%3E{1}/%26fh_view_size=40%26fh_sort_by=-$rc_rating%26device=desktop%26special-page=brand_home#inline-facets

Think I’m gonna try the rosehip and moisturise first .

Didn’t get around to trying the rosehip oil as my skin is sensitive at the moment.

But I did try the Finca tinted sunscreen on my forehead. I had no irritation but did have the tiniest spot.
    Might try more of the face next week as I’m trying to calm my face down enough to wear makeup for one day over the weekend.

Anyway for those that like Cerave ( I can’t use their day cream with SPF as it stinks and stings)

They are bringing a mineral one out that is tinted. Uk and a Europe will probably have to buy from Amazon.Com.

Dr Drays review is here. ( nice a derm Dr that actually gives free advice. Shame it’s mostly US products)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HwSTm2XfeA
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 23rd January 2020 at 03:34 PM.

Default The body shop camomile cleansing butter review

As you know my skin is extremely sensitive. So on the odd occasion I do wear makeup the trauma of taking it off breaks me out on its own.
    I have tried minerals makeup unfortunately it did irritate my skin and dry it a bit. So went back to my old Max factor makeup. As at least I know it doesn’t give me spots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Factor-.../dp/B001GNBVTY
    Anyway removing makeup I just use to scrub with some water. But alas not possible now I have rosacea.

So I tried the elemis rose cleansing balm first of all. Expensive but I’m sure the pot would last awhile. The product is highly perfumed and my face stung for a while afterwards I’d say not for super sensitive skin although your nan would probably love it if she had good skin. My skin is EXTREMELY sensitive but I would not recommend it unless you had very mild rosacea.

I thought of trying just oils but with SD it’s difficult to know what to use.

Then someone recommended the Bodyshop Camomile cleansing butter does a good job of cleansing without being too perfumed.
    It washes away quite well but still leaves a slight film. Reasonably priced at just over £10.
    Still looking for the perfect balm though, but then my skin isn’t perfect so I won’t find it at the moment.

I have got the original ememis balm to try but to be honest the smell was so overwhelming I just knew not to put it on my skin.

I will be reviewing the Finca type 2 serum at the end of the week. It is an alternative to zz cream.

A very interesting Irish a Company with a Rosacea sufferer at its helm .

Ingredients very similar to ZZ cream but without the Menthol. And not as drying. I tried some last night on my chin with no adverse reactions. Definitely does not burn as much as the zz cream .

https://rosaceaskin.co.uk/products/r...rum-sub-type-2

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...acea-1.3900773
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 23rd January 2020 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    As you know my skin is extremely sensitive. So on the odd occasion I do wear makeup the trauma of taking it off breaks me out on its own.
    I have tried minerals makeup unfortunately it did irritate my skin and dry it a bit. So went back to my old Max factor makeup. As at least I know it doesn’t give me spots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Factor-.../dp/B001GNBVTY
    Anyway removing makeup I just use to scrub with some water. But alas not possible now I have rosacea.

So I tried the elemis rose cleansing balm first of all. Expensive but I’m sure the pot would last awhile. The product is highly perfumed and my face stung for a while afterwards I’d say not for super sensitive skin although your nan would probably love it if she had good skin. My skin is EXTREMELY sensitive but I would not recommend it unless you had very mild rosacea.

I thought of trying just oils but with SD it’s difficult to know what to use.

Then someone recommended the Bodyshop Camomile cleansing butter does a good job of cleansing without being too perfumed.
    It washes away quite well but still leaves a slight film. Reasonably priced at just over £10.
    Still looking for the perfect balm though, but then my skin isn’t perfect so I won’t find it at the moment.

I have got the original ememis balm to try but to be honest the smell was so overwhelming I just knew not to put it on my skin.

I will be reviewing the Finca type 2 serum at the end of the week. It is an alternative to zz cream.

A very interesting Irish a Company with a Rosacea sufferer at its helm .

Ingredients very similar to ZZ cream but without the Menthol. And not as drying. I tried some last night on my chin with no adverse reactions. Definitely does not burn as much as the zz cream .

https://rosaceaskin.co.uk/products/r...rum-sub-type-2

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...acea-1.3900773
    interested to hear how you proceed with that Finca serum

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    interested to hear how you proceed with that Finca serum
    Yes, we need more companies like the one above. Especially ones interested in feed back and making their products better.
    I’m going to try over a wider area tonight. I’m only doing it at night at the moment as I’ve done 4 months of soolantra and a few weeks of zz cream but I had to break off from that to let my skin recover.

Interesting information on the site.
    https://rosaceaskin.co.uk/blogs/blog

I know it’s been mentioned before but maybe settling up a shop to raise money for development for non antibiotic and less chemical treatment of rosacea on here would be good.
    Lol �� We could do t-shirts with
    “I’m Not Drunk or on Drugs I have a Rosacea”
    Or
    “please don’t follow me around the shop I’m not going to steal anything it just my face is too sore for makeup today”
    Or
    “Yes I have tried all the Creams and Tablets I’m Mid Flare”
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 23rd January 2020 at 05:10 PM.

Yes, we need more companies like the one above. Especially ones interested in feed back and making their products better.
    I’m going to try over a wider area tonight. I’m only doing it at night at the moment as I’ve done 4 months of soolantra and a few weeks of zz cream but I had to break off from that to let my skin recover.

Interesting information on the site.
    https://rosaceaskin.co.uk/blogs/blog

I know it’s been mentioned before but maybe settling up a shop to raise money for development for non antibiotic and less chemical treatment of rosacea on here would be good.
    Lol �� We could do t-shirts with
    “I’m Not Drunk or on Drugs I have a Rosacea”
    Or
    “please don’t follow me around the shop I’m not going to steal anything it just my face is too sore for makeup today”
    Or
    “Yes I have tried all the Creams and Tablets I’m Mid Flare”
    The RRDi is setup to do just that. However, getting rosaceans to come together and agree to do a project is a daunting task which I have been trying to do for over 16 years since the RRDi was setup as a non profit organization for rosacea patient advocacy and to find the cure for rosacea. Most rosaceans prefer donating to the NRS who spends each year about 60% of it donations on two private contractors owned by the president/director of the NRS, Sam Huff, and only about 10% on rosacea research. I have been following how the NRS spends its donations since 1998 and have a google sheet showing how it spends its donations. The AARS is another rosacea non profit that spends most of its donations on 'annual and mid-year meetings' and very little on acne and rosacea research, about 4% (difficult to separate how much was actually spent on rosacea but let's say 2% to give the AARS a benefit of the doubt). Some may be looking to the AAD as an example of a non profit to support who spends 3% on research out of $34 million dollars donated. You would be hard pressed to figure out how much of that research went to rosacea since the AAD researches all skin diseases, not just rosacea, so probably a minuscule amount was spent on rosacea research. What did the AAD most its donations on? In 2015, the AAD spent $17.3 million on salaries, employees, employee benefits, and payroll taxes and $5.6 million was spent on conferences, conventions and meetings for its prestigious members. There is one other non profit for rosacea in Canada, the ARSC, which doesn't have to disclose any financial information on how it spends its money like the USA requires non profits to disclose.

I have thought about offering tee shirts like you mention (by the way, clever slogans you have come up with) but I already spend enough volunteer hours on the RRDi and don't want to fool with shipping tee shirts. It might be possible to work out some arrangement with a tee shirt shop to do all the shipping which would be ok with me and possibly when someone buys a tee shirt the RRDi would get a dollar or so. Maybe after ten thousand tee shirts were sold we could then decide what to do with the money since the board of directors of the RRDi take into consideration what the members want to do with donated funds. All the board of directors have rosacea. Compare that with the three other non profits for rosacea. See who is running the other three non profits. See how they spend donations.

Raising "money for development for non antibiotic and less chemical treatment of rosacea" would probably take a lot more than $10K. But the more difficult task would be to get enough rosacean volunteers to agree to do this. Besides there are companies out there trying to do just that for commercial interest which is the motive.

I would prefer using donated funds to give to a reputable clinician who would research what rosaceans want to research, rather than the status quo research. Dr. Albert Kligman wrote an interesting article about rosacea research and mentions the "indifference of the National Institutes of Health, which with an annual budget of nearly 30 billion dollars, has not seen fit to fund a single grant for the investigation of rosacea." Dr. Kligman also says that most research done on rosacea is by the skin industry which is "voluminous literature, mainly focused on treatments sponsored by commercial interests; perhaps not the most credible source of unbiased research.” Source

Joel T. Bamford, M.D., wrote an article in the Journal of the RRDi entitled, "Is it possible for rosaceans to do research?"

For more information:

Rosacea Research in Perspective of Funding

Rosacea Research in Perspective of Idiopathic Diseases

Getting back to the point of this thread, I mentioned in post no 2 to your original post that honest reviews are dependent on who owns the review process and moderates the reviews. Amazon has been criticized severely about the review process and has tightened up their review process, but you can imagine how difficult a task it would be to weed out the fake reviews. And who is going to VOLUNTEER to do this at RF? In the past RF has a number of incredible moderators who watched posts like the police, but those days are gone. The reader has to just be aware of fake reviews. But I do understand your frustration you find on social media rosacea groups on Facebook or Reddit and it boggles my mind how rosaceans prefer social media to post their frustrations and woes and are not willing to do anything about it and want someone to sympathize with them and offer a pill or a topical that will magically cure their aliment.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 23rd January 2020 at 06:51 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Re. finca,
    I use the tinted sunscreen every day ( I mix the 2 colours together for the right shade for me) and have used both the winter balm (it’s lovely) and the type 1 serum ( also lovely). My skin is dry and I have type 1 / neurogenic rosacea so these products suit my skin. They are clean and pure and the lady who owns the company is motivated by a genuine desire to help fellow rosacea sufferers because she knows what it’s like.
    I hope the products work out well for anybody else who tries them.
    I have had a sore swollen couple of days. I think hormones must spark extra pain.

Didn’t get around to trying the rosehip oil as my skin is sensitive at the moment.

But I did try the Finca tinted sunscreen on my forehead. I had no irritation but did have the tiniest spot.
    Might try more of the face next week as I’m trying to calm my face down enough to wear makeup for one day over the weekend.

Anyway for those that like Cerave ( I can’t use their day cream with SPF as it stinks and stings)

They are bringing a mineral one out that is tinted. Uk and a Europe will probably have to buy from Amazon.Com.

Dr Drays review is here. ( nice a derm Dr that actually gives free advice. Shame it’s mostly US products)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HwSTm2XfeA