Thread: Ingredients in ZZ Cream that can kill Demodex: Boric Acid, Zinc, Sulphur, Menthol

Default Ingredients in ZZ Cream that can kill Demodex: Boric Acid, Zinc, Sulphur, Menthol

If ZZ Cream becomes unavailable for a while there might be some other demodex killing products that might work. The 4 known ingredients in ZZ Cream that can kill demodex are Boric Acid, Zinc Oxide, Sublimated Sulphur and Menthol.

Here's a few other over the counter treatment options. Ingredients provided or a link to where to find them are below. For fungal sufferers, check to make sure a specific product doesn't contain ingredients that might make a fungal infection worse.

1. Boric Acid Powder: Can use the DIY Boric Acid Mask. Just Boric Acid powder mixed with a little glycerin to make a thin paste. Simplest in terms of ingredients. No oils to agravate malassezia (fungal) seb-D infections. Will kill Demodex. Use about 1/2 teaspoon of the Boric Acid Powder and a few drops of glycerin to make a thin paste, a bit thinner than toothpaste. The YouTube video link below shows you how:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVGV9aIS0Y

2. Zinc Oxide - Boudreaux's Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment, Maximum Strength, (Thicker than Desitin) - 40% Zinc Oxide
    Active Ingredient - Purpose: Zinc Oxide, 40% - Skin Protectant. Inactive Ingredients Castor Oil, Mineral Paraffin, Peruvian Balsam, White Petrolatum.
    - Diaper rash can be caused by a yeast infection among other causes.
    - Might be too occlusive for use everyday due to the petrolatum (i.e. petroleum jelly). But it has the highest Zinc oxide content that I have seen.
    - Avoid the similar Desitin Diaper Rash products if you are allergic to lanolin. Boudreaux's Butt Paste does not contain lanolin.

3. Zinc and Sulphur - Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask (the Green stuff)- clay drawing mask with simple ingredients - been around for years. You can put on your face and rinse it off when dry or sleep with this one on your face. https://www.amazon.com/QUEEN-HELENE-.../dp/B0014272VI Amazon web link shows the product ingredients on one of the images.

4. Vicks Vapo Rub - Some people swear by this as an overnight treatment for demodex. It contains petrolatum so it might be too occlusive for frequent use. Contains Menthol like ZZ Cream. Also has a number of other essential oils which might be effective against demodex. Mostly the petroleum jelly likely smothers the demodex or keeps them from getting out to breed and make more mites.
    Active Ingredients (Purpose) Regular: Camphor (synthetic) 4.8% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic) Eucalyptus oil 1.2% (Cough suppressant) Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
    Lemon: Camphor (synthetic) 4.7% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic) Eucalyptus oil 1.2% (Cough suppressant) Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
    Inactive Ingredients Regular: cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil Lemon: cedarleaf oil, lemon fragrance, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil

5. Eucerin Baby Eczema Cream - Contains Castor Oil. Castor Oil can also kill demodex. Castor oil kills the mites more slowly than Tea Tree Oil. This cream is pretty gentle - I've used it on chapped face and it worked without irritation for me.

Active Ingredients: Colloidal Oatmeal 1% (Skin Protectant)
    Inactive Ingredients: Water Glycerin Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil Mineral Oil Cetyl Alcohol Glyceryl Stearate Caprylic-Capric-Triglyceride Octyldodecanol Cetyl Palmitate PEG-40 Stearate Glycyrrhiza Inflata Root Extract Ceramide NP 1-2-Hexanediol Phenoxyethanol Piroctone Olamine Caprylyl Glycol Ethylhexylglycerin Benzyl Alcohol Citric Acid
    Last edited by ElaineA; 14th February 2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Replaced water with glycerin in the Boric Acid mask ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    If ZZ Cream becomes unavailable for a while there might be some other demodex killing products that might work. The 4 known ingredients in ZZ Cream that can kill demodex are Boric Acid, Zinc Oxide, Sublimated Sulphur and Menthol.

Here's a few other over the counter treatment options. Ingredients provided or a link to where to find them are below. For fungal sufferers, check to make sure a specific product doesn't contain ingredients that might make a fungal infection worse.

1. Boric Acid Powder: Can use the DIY Boric Acid Mask. Just Boric Acid powder mixed with a little water to make a thin paste. Simplest in terms of ingredients. No oils to agravate malassezia (fungal) seb-D infections. Will kill Demodex.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVGV9aIS0Y

2. Zinc Oxide - Boudreaux's Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment, Maximum Strength, (Thicker than Desitin) - 40% Zinc Oxide
    Active Ingredient - Purpose: Zinc Oxide, 40% - Skin Protectant. Inactive Ingredients Castor Oil, Mineral Paraffin, Peruvian Balsam, White Petrolatum.
    - Diaper rash can be caused by a yeast infection among other causes.
    - Might be too occlusive for use everyday due to the petrolatum (i.e. petroleum jelly). But it has the highest Zinc oxide content that I have seen.
    - Avoid the similar Desitin Diaper Rash products if you are allergic to lanolin. Boudreaux's Butt Paste does not contain lanolin.

3. Zinc and Sulphur - Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask (the Green stuff)- clay drawing mask with simple ingredients - been around for years. You can put on your face and rinse it off when dry or sleep with this one on your face. https://www.amazon.com/QUEEN-HELENE-.../dp/B0014272VI Amazon web link shows the product ingredients on one of the images.

4. Vicks Vapo Rub - Some people swear by this as an overnight treatment for demodex. It contains petrolatum so it might be too occlusive for frequent use. Contains Menthol like ZZ Cream. Also has a number of other essential oils which might be effective against demodex. Mostly the petroleum jelly likely smothers the demodex or keeps them from getting out to breed and make more mites.
    Active Ingredients (Purpose) Regular: Camphor (synthetic) 4.8% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic) Eucalyptus oil 1.2% (Cough suppressant) Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
    Lemon: Camphor (synthetic) 4.7% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic) Eucalyptus oil 1.2% (Cough suppressant) Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
    Inactive Ingredients Regular: cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil Lemon: cedarleaf oil, lemon fragrance, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil

5. Eucerin Baby Eczema Cream - Contains Castor Oil. Castor Oil can also kill demodex. Castor oil kills the mites more slowly than Tea Tree Oil. This cream is pretty gentle - I've used it on chapped face and it worked without irritation for me.

Active Ingredients: Colloidal Oatmeal 1% (Skin Protectant)
    Inactive Ingredients: Water Glycerin Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil Mineral Oil Cetyl Alcohol Glyceryl Stearate Caprylic-Capric-Triglyceride Octyldodecanol Cetyl Palmitate PEG-40 Stearate Glycyrrhiza Inflata Root Extract Ceramide NP 1-2-Hexanediol Phenoxyethanol Piroctone Olamine Caprylyl Glycol Ethylhexylglycerin Benzyl Alcohol Citric Acid
    Wonderful work Elaine, thank you! I am very intrigued to try some of these things, but would only do that after a few more months on ZZ because it’s world miracles so far. For for long term maintenance, I like the ideas of some of your suggestions. I placed an order for 10 jars about 2 weeks ago which was filled and mailed from HongKong but now appears to be stuck in customs. I was a little surprised they actually filled the order! I don’t know a lot about the spread of disease, but I do hope the product would be safe to use!