Thread: Removing Demodex when washing clothes

Default Removing Demodex when washing clothes

Hi all,

I would like information regarding removing demodex from clothes during a wash. I used to use borax(2kg) I got from ebay from a seller called Bioaquatek but they stopped selling Borax. I then switched to another seller called amiemarie96 and my clothes started getting holes in them so I stopped using Borax, I could import Borax mule team from America but its pretty expensive to do that all the time. What is everybody else using ?, are other people making sure they get rid of demodex from clothes and bedding every time they wash their clothes ? If so, what are you using and can I get it in Ireland/Europe?

I recently had two v beam treatments and they haven't been as effective as before and I am wondering if not getting rid of demodex from my washing means I have higher numbers of them on my skin.

I put tea tree oil in my shapoo (nizoral) to remove any demodex from my hair.

Is anyone else using something to clean clothes and bed clothes of demodex ?

Quote Originally Posted by andydoyle View Post
    Is anyone else using something to clean clothes and bed clothes of demodex ?
    No, not using any additive in the wash. Just wearing clean clothes daily. Are you drying the clothes in a clothes dryer? If so the warmth of the clothes dryer may be enough to make sure that any mites that survive the wash will die from the dryer heat. It doesn't take too much heat above the normal human body temperature to kill them. So it isn't necessary to overdo it and risk shrinking the clothes.

Here's a summary report from the US National Institute of health that shows that temperatures below 0 and above 37 degrees C will damage the mites. Since 37 is about the normal human body temp and most dryers will be above that temperature for long enough, that should do it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774398

It isn't known how long the mites can live off of their host and without moisture and food. I read somewhere that they can live up to 54 hours on a damp or wet towel.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    No, not using any additive in the wash. Just wearing clean clothes daily. Are you drying the clothes in a clothes dryer? If so the warmth of the clothes dryer may be enough to make sure that any mites that survive the wash will die from the dryer heat. It doesn't take too much heat above the normal human body temperature to kill them. So it isn't necessary to overdo it and risk shrinking the clothes.

Here's a summary report from the US National Institute of health that shows that temperatures below 0 and above 37 degrees C will damage the mites. Since 37 is about the normal human body temp and most dryers will be above that temperature for long enough, that should do it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774398

It isn't known how long the mites can live off of their host and without moisture and food. I read somewhere that they can live up to 54 hours on a damp or wet towel.
    Hi Elaine

What are you doing currently for scalp demodex? I appreciate that clothes etc can all carry demodex, but the scalp is a massive carrier of them right next to the face, and the tea tree oil shampoo I used to use has stopped being produced. I find a lot of them quite aggressive. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by andydoyle View Post
    Hi all,

I would like information regarding removing demodex from clothes during a wash. I used to use borax(2kg) I got from ebay from a seller called Bioaquatek but they stopped selling Borax. I then switched to another seller called amiemarie96 and my clothes started getting holes in them so I stopped using Borax, I could import Borax mule team from America but its pretty expensive to do that all the time. What is everybody else using ?, are other people making sure they get rid of demodex from clothes and bedding every time they wash their clothes ? If so, what are you using and can I get it in Ireland/Europe?

I recently had two v beam treatments and they haven't been as effective as before and I am wondering if not getting rid of demodex from my washing means I have higher numbers of them on my skin.

I put tea tree oil in my shapoo (nizoral) to remove any demodex from my hair.
    I tumble dry everything and do a 60 degree wash

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Hi Elaine

What are you doing currently for scalp demodex? I appreciate that clothes etc can all carry demodex, but the scalp is a massive carrier of them right next to the face, and the tea tree oil shampoo I used to use has stopped being produced. I find a lot of them quite aggressive. Thank you.
    You are right. Those things like to hide in your hair.

I occasionally use the DIY Borax Shampoo and follow with a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse to rebalance the hair's pH. I also use conditioner after that.
    Some people just add a few drops of tea tree oil to their favorite shampoo as they use it. So that is another option if your favorite brand of pre-mix is no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    You are right. Those things like to hide in your hair.

I occasionally use the DIY Borax Shampoo and follow with a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse to rebalance the hair's pH. I also use conditioner after that.
    Some people just add a few drops of tea tree oil to their favorite shampoo as they use it. So that is another option if your favorite brand of pre-mix is no longer available.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Australian-...7562015&sr=8-5

I’m using this it’s gentle on your skin but has tea tree and piroctone olamine both kill mites.
    But I only wash my hair every three days. And my head doesn’t itch anymore

Interesting option, that one. I see it still has a sulfate in it, might be a problem for some (even though it is not SLS), or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Interesting option, that one. I see it still has a sulfate in it, might be a problem for some (even though it is not SLS), or am I wrong?
    Not saying it’s perfect but if you have SD and possible demodex it’s not a bad option.
    I’ve tried every shampoo out there.
    My skin can’t tolerate nizorel and head n shoulders clinical
    The other one I have used is https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOréal-Phyt.../dp/B01MU4NFKW which does have SLS in again
    I’ve tried all the rest in between but the Australian seems to get rid of any dandruff but I couldn’t use it everyday. But it’s pretty gentle. I have sensitive skin all over even on my hands so if I can wash my hands with it then it’s ok for my scalp.

Thanks for all the responses, . I only wash clothes at 40C because I don't want the clothes to wear out easily. I then use a clothes dryer to dry them. I am not sure what the temperature of the dryer is but I will check that out.

I put tea tree oil into nizoral shampoo for washing my hair.
    Last edited by andydoyle; 3rd January 2020 at 01:08 AM.