Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can V-beam CAUSE permanent redness?

Default Can V-beam CAUSE permanent redness?

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but this is seriously a concern of mine. Three weeks ago I underwent a bruising treatment for some red marks. They have gradually faded from purple to red to pink EXCEPT one area of a rather large red mark which has not faded much from it's red state even in the past week.

Today I spoke to my derm, and he said not to worry too much, however, I told him I've heard of horror stories where the v-beam actually does the OPPOSITE of what it's suppose to and cause permanent redness. When I asked him that, I believe his response was "it happens" or "it can happen" or something scary like that. But HOW, how can that be? How can a laser intended to remove redness actually leave you with more? I can understand more brownness (hyperpigmentation caused by leftover iron from when the vessels burst), but more REDNESS? Wouldn't that require even more blood vessels in order for it to appear redder?

I'm trying my best not to become hysterical and lose it, but it's scary when you think about it as a serious consequence, especially when an area hit by the laser is no longer fading back to - not even better - but simply what it USED to be, which was frustrating enough.

Thoughts? Comments? Reassurance?

Hi there

With the Vbeam you cannot expect to see quick results.... especially with the purpuric treatment. In saying that, I had non-purpuric treatment about 5.5wks ago and at this stage, on some days I am still getting a few random little pink patches that come and go during the course of the day. Also, my texture is a little different, and I have experienced some dryness/peeling which is unheard of for me because my skin is natrually combo/oily. I know it is nothing to worry about, it is all part of the healing process. Also take into consideration that some people heal fast and some heal slow. I have always been a slow healer so I knew to expect it before undergoing treatment.

I think being only 3 weeks into healing it is too early to make a judgement on your skin. My Derm said give it at least 8 weeks before making a judgement... possible even 12 weeks if you are a slow healer. And remember, I had the non-purpuric treatment which doesn't cause bruising and I experienced only a few hours downtime with no swelling... so technically your final results may take that long or longer to show as well.

Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Thank you for your response Shantelle

Right now I am kicking myself in the ass for doing this treatment. I mean, I don't blame myself for wanting it, I had two before and the first caused redness and the second one caused some bruising, but everything seemed back to normal within 2 weeks or so. I just can't bare the thought of having made it worse, I honestly don't know what I'll do if that's the case. I mean it just makes me so scared because it's like this one area within the red mark that is not fading now, but the WHOLE mark was bruised, so it makes me nervous that this area (which is big enough that it makes the whole mark just look terrible) has randomly just stopped healing. What can be happening? Honestly, if this passes and everything turns out ok, I don't know if I would get a fourth, I mean every treatment is very emotional for me since these marks have had a devastating impact on my life, but all that is usually over with in just slightly over 2 weeks.

Default .

LBW,

I don"t believe in horror stories if the vbeam cause
    more redness. It"s destroying only the red blood vessels
    and not the good one.

I know it doesn't make sense, I mean more browness could happen, but more red doesn't make sense. However, I am still scarred because I know I read somewhere someone saying it did it, and also my derm saying "it happens" makes me even more nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbitworried View Post
    I know it doesn't make sense, I mean more browness could happen, but more red doesn't make sense. However, I am still scarred because I know I read somewhere someone saying it did it, and also my derm saying "it happens" makes me even more nervous.
    Some of the redness may be compensatory hyperreactivity in surrounding blood vessels in response to less perfusion from laser-damaged blood vessels. It would make sense if you assume the body tries to make up for what it perceives as lacking. I wonder if the laser did a better job in nixing some vessels more than others to cause this.

I also think that you being worried, while understandable, can contribute to the increased redness. I often notice that prolonged anxiety can play a number on my face, so try to avoid this.

Things will certainly get better overtime, they usually do when a major incident happens! So don't lose hope. You may want to camouflage with some tinted makeup in the mean time. After a few days-weeks, you can reassess how to go forward. Topicals, or corrective laser treatment...

Ugh. This is such a scary feeling. I've barely gotten any sleep these past few nights. How can I when I fear I may have made things permanently worse? I know, I know, everyone says I am over reacting, but I can't help it, this area has just stopped fading.

I mean the treatment was strong; bruising, with a tiny little scab in one area of it, which turns out to be part of the area that is still redder now, but there was no blistering. I mean, I REALLY hope this fades, but everyday I lose a little more hope and feel a little more hopeless.

If this makes things permanently redder, I don't know what I'll do. My derm seem so non-nonchalant about that whole part, of it happens. It happens? This is my face, I can't be like "oh it happens and now it is permanently redder. No big deal."

I mean is this normal? Can a certain area of a bruise hang around longer and then fade? Has this ever happened? Honestly, if you were in my shoes, would you be worried?

I woke up this morning And THE redness is not
    fading down. I don"t get it why The 3 treatments before had only
    downtime of 2,5 weeks. My cheeks are warm now and it is like i
    have THE hole time flushing. It is worse than before THE treatment.

I just don"t get it why it is so red now.

I know how you feel, I haven't gone to a mirror yet today but I know from last night that it's still worse. How many weeks has it been since your treatment? How much worse does it look? Is it bright red or like a reddish-brown color?

Tomorrow its almost 4 weeks ago.
    It is Bright red now and this is not
    normal how it should be at this moment.
    I Hope my skin is reacting stressfull ore
    something.

You describe you have some red Marks, or is
    your hole cheek red/Brown. ?